"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I prick them with a fork and then wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees until done, usually an hour for a large russet. I dont care for nuked potatoes.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Pricked, unwrapped 400 F oven 1 hour, or

Pricked, nuked for 3 minutes, baked for 30 in a 400 F oven

I never wrap a potato in foil for baking as I don't like the way the skin comes out. It tends to be a steamed potato rather than a baked potato if it's cooked in foil.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Pricked, unwrapped 400 F oven 1 hour, or

Pricked, nuked for 3 minutes, baked for 30 in a 400 F oven

I never wrap a potato in foil for baking as I don't like the way the skin comes out. It tends to be a steamed potato rather than a baked potato if it's cooked in foil.
There is truth to that. I’ve tried baking without the foil, and the skin gets tough and nearly inedible. It’s fine for twice baked, but I like a softer skin if I’m actually going to eat it. Plus the foil really holds it together for the smash and pucker technique.

Does anyone else actually eat the skin?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
There is truth to that. I’ve tried baking without the foil, and the skin gets tough and nearly inedible. It’s fine for twice baked, but I like a softer skin if I’m actually going to eat it. Plus the foil really holds it together for the smash and pucker technique.

Does anyone else actually eat the skin?
I like the drier skin. I prefer that texture and it definitely tastes better (yes, I actually eat it). I don't smash and pucker so that's not an issue for me.

I also find that my method yields a drier flesh that works better for a twice baked
Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I prefer a softer skin on my baked potatoes, thus the foil, but have tried baking them without foil as well, and they do indeed get crispy, so to each his/her own.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
Sous Chef

ok...i wish i had read andy's remarks a bit earlier....

did the tater wrapped in foid (un pricked) at 400 (convection oven) for 1 hour.

it came out great...except for the texture of the skin. i like it crisp and it wasnt.

goin in for round 2 tomorrow night...so keep on keepin on with the advise!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
ok...i wish i had read andy's remarks a bit earlier....

did the tater wrapped in foid (un pricked) at 400 (convection oven) for 1 hour.

it came out great...except for the texture of the skin. i like it crisp and it wasnt.

goin in for round 2 tomorrow night...so keep on keepin on with the advise!!
Whoops! I should have mentioned that in my previous post. Isn’t that the oddest thing about personal taste? I don’t like a crispy skin unless it’s fried….on a baked potato, I like the skin as soft as the flesh. Odd stuff. Sorry about that.

My wife refuses to use a potato peeler. Instead, she uses a paring knife when peeling potatoes for dishes. A paring knife, when in a hurry, often yields thick meaty skins. I keep trying to get her to use a peeler, but she wont. To show her the example of the “waste”, I took the peelings she did and deep fried them and topped them with garlic herbed butter and lemon served with ketchup and A1 sauce (she loves A1 on everything!).

They were actually very good, and she liked them so much, she now cuts the potatoes thicker on purpose hoping I’ll make fried potatoes skins again. Moral is, to each his own. Let all find their way for in each path there is much fruit to be enjoyed!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Head Chef

Iknow of a large hotel in Chicago that rolled them in rosin and bakes them in a wood fired oven..Kinda strange.. I like to oil with evvoo and roll in kosher salt and bake at 425 for a hour and prick with a fork to check if they are done I love a crisp skin it is the dinner of champions and gourmans it has such a earthy taste to it how could any one not love Mother earth
Old 08-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Washed, dried, oiled, a little salt sometimes, foiled and baked! I am a skin/peel eater that comes down on the side that soft is better for my personal taste!

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I stab them visciously a few times with a dinner fork, then place them, naked, on a rack in a shallow baking pan, in a 400F oven for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on number and size of potatoes. Then I squeeze them with an oven mit on. If they squeal, they're done.

Tags
None