How do you do hash browns....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im going to try that way maybe tomorrow morning.

can you do it in a pan fry? Im not a big fan of deep frying.

Pan fry is the way to go. You don't need a lot of fat. Just some butter melted in the pan. spread the potatoes and press them flat and let them cook.

Im going to try that way maybe tomorrow morning.

can you do it in a pan fry? Im not a big fan of deep frying.

Yes a fry pan (Cast Iron) is my weapon of choice for hash browns -- You do not want to "deep fry" them....Just enough oil/butter to keep them from sticking...Once you go to the pan don't rush to turn them...let them brown...then they will easily turn and not stick....

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

thats the way i go but I usuaully used a slightly boiled potato.

First time I tried it I did as others haqve mentioned. Shredded and then pan fried but it was grey and took forever.

second time I soaked in water to rinse off the starch and driedthem and it was better but not by much

I hardly ever have them so I dont have the TNT

When I shred them I do as UB said and use a clean dish cloth and squeeze out the moisture. I like to add diced red onion and garlic and a sprinkle some paprika or sazon on them for a little flavor.

When I have leftover boiled potatoes (like them more than mashed) I will dice them up and add the same as above cooked with a splash of olive oil and a little real butter and cooked in my cast iron pan till a nice brown color. I sometimes will experiment a bit and throw in green onions, peppers, bacon bits, parm cheese at the end... What ever I have at hand the I think will go good.

I never rush them Uncy B. its my favorite part of the hash brown.

At a resturant I worked at they did a 3 potato risotto and basiccly steamed the potatoes then deep fried them. I was thinking of doing that for has browns when I first watched the technique but it wasnt what I was looking for and was too much like chain resturant breakfast potatos, not what I wanted.

I shredd the raw potato. When I cook them I use bacon grease. We do not like onions so I only use salt pepper and garlic.

Now I have a little confession.:rolleyes: If I fix them the way I like them I only half cook them so they are still sticky (family says slime) and not browned. I usually take mine out first then do the rest till they brown.

I just pan fried some this morning. Pat flat in the pan and then fry in a few tbsp of oil until they are crispy brown on the bottom, then turn over.

I cut mine up by hand (julianne). Add some salt, pepper and onion.

hashbrowns.jpg

What is a potato risotto?

Well basiclly it was risotto with small cube of 3 differnt potatos, Russert, yukon gold and red and the potatoes were steamed and then fried for prep and then when the risotto was made the potatos were added in about half way threw.

it was a side dish for an entree. too starchy for me but alot of people liked it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom