"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
Executive Chef

How do you make your french fries?

I make my fries like my mom taught me. Peeled russets, slice them up and make sure the oil is very hot. Don't crowd the pan. That's that.

We go to this great place that we get halibut & chips. I think they use small yukon golds. They leave the skin on and cut them in wedges. They are soo good!

How do you make yours? Do you double fry? Do you microwave the potatoes first to get excess water out? Do you have a fancy deep fryer or do it on the stove? What kind of potatoes? What do you season with? I've heard of throwing garlic cloves & rosemary in the oil to give flavor. I want all the details. Waffle fries?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I make my fries like my mom taught me. Peeled russets, slice them up and make sure the oil is very hot. Don't crowd the pan. That's that.

We go to this great place that we get halibut & chips. I think they use small yukon golds. They leave the skin on and cut them in wedges. They are soo good!

How do you make yours? Do you double fry? Do you microwave the potatoes first to get excess water out first? Do you have a fancy deep fryer or do it on the stove? What kind of potatoes? What do you season with? I've heard of throwing garlic cloves & rosemary in the oil to give flavor. I want all the details. Waffle fries?
Cut into 1/4" pieces.
Soak in cold water for a couple three hours.
Dry thoroughly in towel.
Fry at 325 for for maybe 6 or 7 minutes.
Drain and cool.
Fry at 370 til golden brown... maybe 4 or 5 minutes.

This is from memory. Don't let the taters brown in the first fry.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't make chips (fries) very often - but when I do, I use a large variety like Pentland or King Edward. I peel, run cold water over them to remove excess starch. Then I pat dry. I have a chip pan with a basket, in which I double fry the chips. They turn out nice and crispy on the outside, with meltingly soft potato centres...

Great for a traditional fish n chips night!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #4
Cook

I double fry potatoes . It is the way fries are done here in Belgium. By the way fries are NOT french but belgian

The first fry, the oil must not too hot, it is just to cook the potatoes. 2nd is very hot and very quick it is just to reheat the fries and give them a nice golden brown.

Nowdays, people use oil or a vegetable fat that melts when it is hot. But in the past, they used beef fat wich is not very healthy maybe, but gives a great taste to the fries. They didn't eat fries every day too so it was not biggie to use beef fat

The potatoes variety is important too. The best ones are what we call here "bintje" It is a sort of potato that doesn't contain to much water.

Personnally, I don't like much fries, I prefer roasted potatoes . I cut them in wedges coat in a garlic, spice and herb mixture with a very little amount of oil ,layer them on a plate and cook them in a very hot oven.

I also have heard about people that flavors oil with herbs and garlic but never tried . Well Corazon it does exist potato waffles very good looking to serve with a nice peace of meat and very tasty
Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I think I'm gonna have to make some for this weeks "cheat meal." Though now I have so many delicious options. lol
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior Cook

In my restaurant we use russet potatoes and always blanche the fries at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 3 minutes before the final fry at 375 degrees. There is no rule about the time for blanching because the potatoes, even of the same variety, will vary in moisture content. The blanching time will also vary with the size of your fry cut. You can tell when the fries are properly blanched if you take a single fry and compress it with a single finger using moderate pressure. If the fry squishes it's over blanched. If it takes excessive pressure to break it then its under blanched. If it takes moderate pressure and breaks rather than crushes then it's just right.

Refry the blanched fries at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until crisp and golden brown.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Essentially use the recipe of skilletlicker, but like them cut thicker than 1/4 inch.

And generally us starchy potatoes, like russets.

Although yesterday we had some great sweet potato fries at a local restaurant, gotta give that a try. They were about 1/4 inch.

Have cooked them as a kid (12 years old) in a pot but today we have a simple fryer.

Much prefer homemade to those we get in most restaurants.

And since we rarely make them, dietary stuff, rats, usually just have them at home.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm not happy unless my fried potatoes are CHIPS. They have to be at least 1/2 " thick and at least 3 inches long. I cut them, drop them in cold water, then drain them, dry on tea towels, and then plunge them, kicking and screaming, into hot oil at about 350 - 375 - I know when the oil is ready because you drop in a little bit of potato, and it covers in bubbles, then rises to the surface!

Salt and vinegar on mine.
Or a fresh chilpotle mayonnaise.
Or slathered in HP Sauce.

(THERE! I've given it away!)
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I use russetts. Slice them and lay them on paper towels to draw out the extra water. I fry them in a deep fryer with peanut oil.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I waffle cut my fries first then put them in the hot oil.

Tags
None