How do you prepare Zucchini for appetizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Afternoon,

Finally have the computer working ... and the twins, their Grand-dad and my son in law are exploring the Adriatic shoreline and Nathalia and I are doing our " blogging " while Anthony Luca, 4 months, is napping ...

Spring is a very inviting time of the year, languid and bright, and thus, veggies are full force here ...

Since the Greek Island of Corfu is only 55km via ferry, this is a fave appetiser or meze of ours when we are in Puglia or Apulia.

ZUCCHINI FRITTERS, OR BALLS - GREEK & APULIA STYLE
( Shaped like meatballs, however these are meatless ) ...

8 Servings:

1.8 kilos of zucchini - grated ( 4 pounds )
salt and white pepper
400 grams = 1 pound fresh tomatoes, skinned, peeled and diced
150 grams = 5 ounces of leek or onion finely chopped
1/2 bunch mint leaf herb finely chopped ( if you do not like mint, use parsley )
50 grams or 1 1/2 ounce of bread crumbs with herbs or dried spices in
50 grams or 1 1/2 ounce finely ground almonds
1/2 bunch chive herb finely chopped
1/4 bunch parsley finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minces
2 eggs
flour for dreding ( sprinkle with fresh and dried herbs / spices )

FOR CHEESE SAUCE ( one can go with Ricotta or Feta )

200 ml. milk
1 pound 3 ounces Feta or Ricotta cheese
50 ml. Olive oil - 1 1/2 ounce
1/2 bunch fresh oregano leaves / or dried if unavailable )

1) salt the zucchini well and leave in bowl 45 mins. LITTLE BY LITTLE, put some of the grated zucchini into a kitch towel and extract the water
2) combine the grated zucchini with the rest of the ingredients except the flour. Using a wooden or metal spoon, shape the mixture like you would a meat ball and make 25 zucchini balls ( 1 ounce each )
3) dredge the fritters lightly in flour and fry at 340 farenheit for 3 to 4 mins. crisp and golden.

SAUCE:

heat the milk to warm and process together with the cheese, olive oil and oregano at high speed in food processor or by mixer or blender.

keep sauce warm and serve fritters with the sauce.

*** note: they shall look like meatballs except they are zucchini balls ...

They are a lovely appetiser ...

Kind regards,
Margi. Cintrano.

fritters or breaded and fried for dipping. also like thin slices raw and marinated in a vinaigrette.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your time taken to write.

Yes, me too ... Just wanted to create something a bit different for the twins ( boys of five ) ... They were fab, so I posted ... Puglia and Basilicata and Sicily are producers and we are in Puglia at the condo until the day after Easter ... so product availability too ... came out great.
Margi. Have nice wkend.

I love zuchinni and summer squash.

Pancakes - with feta, egg, flour and herbs - topped with yogurt/dill sauce & cherry or grape tomatoes on the side.

Zuchinni "fries" or sticks, coated in egg, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese & baked.

Stuffed/Boats - with ricotta, herbs, garlic, lemon juice and pine nuts or walnuts.

Shredded and drained over halved French/Italian bread, a squeeze of lemon juice, slivered almonds or walnuts, sprinkled w/ parmesan or mozzarella. Place under broiler until cheese melts. Top w/ halved cherry or grape tomatoes.

Lemon and zuchinni pizza.

A zuke appetzer from Gordon Ramsay

Zuchinni Rolls stuffed with Ricotta:
Stuffed courgette rolls recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom