How do you store fresh tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurora

Senior Cook
How do you store your fresh tomatoes?

I really never thought about this before and always keep fresh tomatoes on the counter or table until I use them. I got this out of a newsletter sent out by our produce supplier and thought I'd share it:

Tomato Storage - Maintaining proper temperature is the most important factor to assure the quality of tomatoes after being picked. Never store your tomatoes below 55 degrees Fahrenheit - in other words, DO NOT REFRIGERATE TOMATOES - they don't like it. Refrigeration kills their flavor. When tomatoes are stored at a cold temperature, the water inside the tomato expands and causes the individual cells within the tomato to burst. The result is a tomato that may look fine to the naked eye, but will taste mealy when you bite into it. To ripen properly, tomatoes should be stored in a cool place, out of direct sunlight, with stem sides up.

I store mine in a wire mesh basket hanging in my kitchen. I never ever put them in the fridge.

They don't last long around here. I just keep mine on top of my microwave until I use them. I too never put mine in the refrigerator. Mom always kept her freshly picked ones on the windowseal on the patio.

I'm a windowsill parker also. My mother said I used to eat them like candy in the summer.

The same. Stored at room temperature, even after partially used. Refrigeration permanently destroys a flavor component.

on the counter out of direct sunlight. If I have cut one say in half I will put a little evoo on a plate and put the cut side down into the oil and cover with plastic wrap gently...and use the other half tomorrow. But as this is tomato season, and I eat them anyway I can in season, I don't have much problem.

I usually put them in the refrigerator, but they usually go bad. I just think that they would be ruined in room temperature (it's been 85 Fahrenheit here...). Do you guys know how long they can last, outside the fridge?

On the counter in a wicker basket. Though I put half used tomatoes in a baggie and into the fridge.

PS: This thread made me remember I have some tomatoes in the refrigerator that are so red and starting to get mushy... I think they'll turn into a tomato crumble today!

Botanically speaking, tomatos are a fruit. In the vernacular, they are a vegetable.

The product of a plant that carries that plants seeds for reproduction is categorized as a fruit. That being the case, squash and cucumbers are fruits. String beans and tomatos are fruits. peppers and eggplants are fruits. ...but, they are all vegetables too.

What does "hanging" do for them? I've heard of hanging onion but never tomatoes.

Tupperware makes a product for storing half a tomato (or onion, or citrus fruit, etc.) in yoiur fridge without it getting mushy. It's called Forget-Me-Not - they work very well, FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom