"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #11

Usually about a week, in the veggie drawer, depending on your fridge and what else is there with them...sometimes longer, sometimes less...

Lifter

Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 AM   #12
Sous Chef

They are supposedly best stored in a brown paper bag. They never last long around me, so I never bother to liberate them from the poly wrapped carton. If I buy a couple cartons and don't use the second one promptly I have noticed that the sliced ones do get gimpy faster than the whole ones.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinesque
how long will they last in the brown bag???????????????
Usually 4-6 days, but most of the time I eat them because they are my favorite thing. When they start to look old, I carmelize them with some white vermouth butter and/0r evoo and use as a garnish for vegies or meat.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
Cook

Hello, everyone.
I buy mushrooms regularly from a real expert and here is the advice he's given me with excellent results:
- do not keep mushrooms in a paper bag because they will end up tasting slightly of paper. Keep them in the refrigerator in a crockery or plastic container without the lid on it or they'll get slimy. It could be though that your paper bag has been designed specially for that purpose and wouldn't make the mushrooms taste of paper;
- never freeze raw mushrooms as they'll become horribly mushy and retain water, and believe me, I just experienced this at Christmas: I put a mushroom in my mouth (should have known better as the cook is a darling but really appalling in the kitchen) and the feeling was like biting into a slimy sponge with a large quantity of water then oozing into my mouth (it was a large mushroom). Probably one of the worse culinary experiences in my life.
In other words, cook, then freeze;
- some wild mushrooms you can dehydrate rather easily before putting in the fridge if you need to keep them for a longer period.

Happy holidays to all. :)
Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

thanx balibar

Tags
None