How do you store tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here where we live it's countryside (vineyards, maize, walnuts, hazelnuts, wheat, etc.) we have a vegetable garden and grow our own tomatoes. I make tomato salads in the summer, with the tomatoes picked, washed and noshed in the space of half an hour, and we grow enough to make enough of our own bottled passata to take us through the winter. I consider myself lucky, in spite of the amount of work you spend tending the vegetable garden and the fruit trees, and it is hard work. All our friends and neighbours do the same thing. I just love the concept of producer to consumer in the space of 10 minutes. We're in control of how we grow our home-grown produce. At grape harvest
time we could bathe in grape juice if we wanted to, but we sell the grapes.
But, as I said, it's hard work. and unlike our neighbours, we don't have hens or rabbits for the pot

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

If my tomatoes last long enough to get wrinkly, I roast them, makes them nice and sweet, and they make a great sauce.

Last edited:
If my tomatoes last long enough to get wrinkly, I roast them, makes them nice and sweet, and they make a great sauce.

I always buy four on the vine. I usually use them all up before they might become problematic.

So my question is, can I roast the ones that need to have something done with them in a hurry, freeze them, then at a later date do the same thing again with additional tomatoes and add it to the frozen ones from earlier? :angel:

So my question is, can I roast the ones that need to have something done with them in a hurry, freeze them, then at a later date do the same thing again with additional tomatoes and add it to the frozen ones from earlier? :angel:

So you're basically asking if roasted tomatoes freeze well, and they do. If I'm intending to freeze them, I'll take them a little drier, to minimize ice damage to the cell walls.

Tomatoes can also be oven dried. Slice thin, gently mix with dry basil, P. Reggiano, a little S&P and olive oil. Single layer on a baking rack at 200F and your good to go. They will never become completely dry, but the flavor will concentrate. Freeze in meal size portions. If you intend to keep them for a long time, vacuum seal them. They would be great made into a pesto and served over hot pasta!:yum:

i think i have a good idea i do it to its helps me just fine .. ! guyz take a air sealed plastic bag and spry some small of water then u can place into the fridge it helps me alot :)
its looks like this its a picture it will give u an idea :)
img_4957-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom