"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

boil, what's that?

j/k, with store bought corn, 5 - 10 minutes.

but i can't wait until this weekend. we're going here: Pick Your Own Apples at Weed Orchards, Marlboro, NY, Hudson Valley, NY to the sweet corn festival.

last year, my wife had never had freshly picked sweet corn, so when the owners brought back some of their first crop, to see if the public would be interested, i grabbed a load. dw made me put most of it back.

on the way home, i started eating an ear raw, and convinced her to try it. she was amazed at how good corn is in the first few hours after harvesting, even raw. it's like candy.
this was a special new type of extra sweet and long lasting corn (lol, it sounds like willy wonka invented it).

i can't wait. and i've never let her forget it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
hmmm, must be a BTU thing. 35-45 minutes and the kernels are just starting to turn golden brown.....
Or, as IronChef said, it's a doneness preference thing. The corn in your pic looks way overdone for my taste. The browned kernels have lost a lot of their juice, which is where all the sweetness is. The kernels to the right in the lower ear of corn are just how I like my whole ear of corn to look - plump and juicy. I really just cook fresh corn long enough to heat it - it doesn't really need "cooking."

Also, I guess that's why I'm surprised to see so many people adding garlic and other strong seasonings to sweet corn; they would overpower the sweetness, which is what I want, so all I add is butter and salt

Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m with Jennyema on this one too, I get my largest pot out (My Cauldron) and then bring to the boil a roughly 3% salt soln, and then add the peeled corn.
I turn the heat off and leave them for ~5 mins.

it`s nice after if you brush them with melted slightly salted butter and BBQ them too, but you can skip that part.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
The browned kernels have lost a lot of their juice, which is where all the sweetness is.
You would actually be surprised. I was camping once and we threw a bunch on the coals. We had been drinking and forgot about the corn for a long time. When we finally remembered we figured the corn was good for trash and nothing else. Well we took them out of the fire anyway and took a bite. It was some of the sweetest tastiest corn I have ever had. Talk about happy accidents.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Camping? Drinking? I never knew those two went together

I cooked two ears with dinner last night, too. (And BTW, I don't know if the corn I get is day old fresh all the time, as they pack what they don't sell in a cooler at night before they close the stand, but it's as fresh as you can get around here. Grown a mile down the road. Anyway, it isn't store bought.) I didn't cook it quite as long and it was still done, so yeah, it must be a preference thing on doneness. My lunchtime corn was sweet as was my suppertime corn.
And what some people call brown, others call carmelized
Sometimes I do it it plain, but lately I've been seasoning just about everything I eat. I've really gotten on a garlic, butter and/or olive oil and Italian seasoning kick. Don't know what's gotten into me
Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
boil, what's that?

j/k, with store bought corn, 5 - 10 minutes.

but i can't wait until this weekend. we're going here: Pick Your Own Apples at Weed Orchards, Marlboro, NY, Hudson Valley, NY to the sweet corn festival.

last year, my wife had never had freshly picked sweet corn, so when the owners brought back some of their first crop, to see if the public would be interested, i grabbed a load. dw made me put most of it back.

on the way home, i started eating an ear raw, and convinced her to try it. she was amazed at how good corn is in the first few hours after harvesting, even raw. it's like candy.
this was a special new type of extra sweet and long lasting corn (lol, it sounds like willy wonka invented it).

i can't wait. and i've never let her forget it.
Ripe corn (tassles starting to brown) can be quite tasty eaten raw right in the cornfield. Store / farmstand purchased can usually be cooked by placing into a pot of boiling water, letting the water return to a boil, shutting off the heat, and then letting corn sit for 5 - 15 minutes before eating.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
Master Chef

I boil the water first then put the corn in , for 3 min. also a teaspoon of sugar, no salt.

Tags
None