How to cook fresh spinach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a pan very hot, (usually my wok) add some oil, slivers of garlic and shallot, chili flakes, toss in the spinach, flip it a few times, add some salty broth, flip again to thoroughly heat thru and serve, just wilted and really tasty

It sounds delicious and I wish I could eat spinach again but I have gout and spinach is definitely a no-no. :(

It sounds delicious and I wish I could eat spinach again but I have gout and spinach is definitely a no-no. :(

Ho poor you.I didn't think veggies are bad for gout, but I know nothing about gout so excuse me. I normally wash spinach, then chop onions, then in a pan heat up very little oil, add onions, then add garlic then add chopped spinach and in in 5 mins max it's ready.Add salt to taste too.

It's not just spinach you can't have when you have gout. No meat, no canned meats, no salami, pepperoni, no spinach and no salmon!!! I love salmon. You can have tuna and fruit is good for you but I'm also diabetic so I can't have too much fruit. Not too much turkey either but you can have all the chicken you want and of course tomatos and salads. There isn't that much info about recipes for people who get gout. I've only found maybe 2 cookbooks and they're not very good. It's only in the past 2 weels that I got my first episode of gout and the pain's gone but the swelling is still there.

It's not just spinach you can't have when you have gout. No meat, no canned meats, no salami, pepperoni, no spinach and no salmon!!! I love salmon. You can have tuna and fruit is good for you but I'm also diabetic so I can't have too much fruit. Not too much turkey either but you can have all the chicken you want and of course tomatos and salads. There isn't that much info about recipes for people who get gout. I've only found maybe 2 cookbooks and they're not very good. It's only in the past 2 weels that I got my first episode of gout and the pain's gone but the swelling is still there.

Hey Steamboat, I'm in your Gout Club (unfortunately) ...Had first attack 4 years ago ...due to over indulgence on Portuguese Golfing trip, topped off with feast of sardines ....which I'm sure you know is the worst possible food to bring on gout.

2nd attack....just finished it (over the last two weeks).

This time, I've done alot of research on it, as it knocks the confidence a bit (I'm only 37) as the perception of gout is that it's old fat men drinking brandies and rich food that get gout.....but it ain't so.

Cherries, Blueberries, Grapes and Dairy Products are excellent for pain relief and are anti flammatary foods. Nettle drops are also very good.

very simply, thinly slice a clove or three of garlic, put a tbsp or so of evoo in a large saute pan over medium heat. put the garlic in the oil, let toast just for a minute, then dump in the bag of spinach. imeediately begin to turn with tongs to get the spinach coated with the garlic oil. it'll shrink down and become wilted within another minute.
if'n you want to get fancy, add a thinly sliced shallot at the same time you add the garlic.

e voila'. sauteed spinaci!

This is exactly how I do it. No other liquid needed.

Lee

Culchie: I never heard of Nettle Drops? Where do you buy it, in a drug store? I know about bliberries etc but I'm also diabetic so I can't have too much fruit. I didn't know about sardines LOL. This is someone new with me as I only got my first attack about a month ago. My sister bought me a slew of vitamines e.g., grapeseed extract, Go-Out Plex which includes Black Cherry Concentrate and Celery Seed etc. The pain is gone but the selling is still there. How long did it take for the swelling to go down with you? The swelling isn't as bad as it was, but my ankles and calves etc are still swollen. I also have neuropathy becaus of diabetes so I don't know which is causing it harder and harder for me to walk even 3 blocks. Hope it's ok with you now and you don't get another attack.

Culchie: I never heard of Nettle Drops? Where do you buy it, in a drug store? I know about bliberries etc but I'm also diabetic so I can't have too much fruit. I didn't know about sardines LOL. This is someone new with me as I only got my first attack about a month ago. My sister bought me a slew of vitamines e.g., grapeseed extract, Go-Out Plex which includes Black Cherry Concentrate and Celery Seed etc. The pain is gone but the selling is still there. How long did it take for the swelling to go down with you? The swelling isn't as bad as it was, but my ankles and calves etc are still swollen. I also have neuropathy becaus of diabetes so I don't know which is causing it harder and harder for me to walk even 3 blocks. Hope it's ok with you now and you don't get another attack.

You poor fellah, it just hit me in big toe, can't imagine the discomfort of getting it in calves and ankles as well.

I got stinging nettle drops from local health store, approx 20 drops into a glass of water, twice a day.

You can't possibly cut out high purine acid foods from your diet, as you will be deficient in other areas then. You have to understand that if you eat something that is high in purines, e.g Salmon, then you need to 'balance' your meal with something 'gout friendly' like drinking cherry juice or yougart dessert etc...

You got to get on with enjoying your food, lifes too short to miss out, but learn to balance out the PH's in your diet .....think of it as a balancing act.

Gout etc

I only have the gout in my ankle; I have neuropathy in my calves. I take of vitamins so I think I'll hold off on the nettle stuff and see if the vitamins work along with the ant-inflammatory med I'm taking. You're right about the stereotype perceptions about gout though. I always thought it was something 18th century englishmen got LOL.

I did not see either of these mentioned in the previous posts, but I only gave them the once-over. I loved the suggestions for seasonings and spices, but the two that give me the greatest pleasure with cooked spinach are nutmeg and marjoram (one or the other, not both). They will absolutely surprise and delight you.

Also, I like to make spinach pesto, and I use walnuts in place of the pine nuts.

You could probably cook Kale the same way. Have to find out if I can have it though because of the gout.

Oh! I wish I could eat this. I found a great recipe for Chinese Stir Fried Spinach for those of you who are lucky enough to eat it although the recipe states that watercress, lettuce or any Chinese vegetable can be subsituted for spinach. Quick strir fry too.

To preserve the vivid color of the vegetable and prevent overcooking, heat the pan and the oil until smoking hot before adding the spinach to the pan.

1/2 tblspn corn or safflower oil
1/2 tblspn sesame oil
1 lb (or 2 ten oz. packages) fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed and thoroughly dried
1 tblspn minced garlic
1 1/2 tblspns rice wine or sake
1/2 tspn salt

Heat a wok or a large skillet, add both the oils and heat until smoking. Add the spinach, garlic, rice wine or sake, and salt and toss lightly over high heat for about 1 minute until slightly wilted but still bright green. Transfer to serving platter. Serve hot or at room temperature.

I steam cook mine after washing. Add a little salt and vinegar (I like sour and pickled foods) tastes really good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom