"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

Just take a covered skillet & melt enough butter in it to cover the bottom. Slice up your cabbage & stir it into the butter along with a little salt & pepper. Cover & cook on medium heat, stirring once in awhile to make sure it's not burning, until it's just crisp-tender to your taste & still a nice bright green. Taste for additional seasoning, if needed, & serve. Delicious! Sometimes if I have some of the above leftover I'll even stir it into scrambled eggs in the morning.
That sounds delicious. I've always steamed it for about 5 or 6 minutes, but this is better by a long shot.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
For broccoli, I always follow good old Julia Child's recommendation to just drop the cut florets into a pot of briskly boiling water for about 3 minutes & then drain. Works & tastes great, broccoli is still crisp-tender, delicious, & nutritious, & I don't have something else to clean (the steamer basket).
You're pouring a significant amount of the nutrition down the drain with the boiling water. It stays in the veggies when they're steamed.

Avoid watering down veggie nutrition - Nutrition Notes

Constance, steaming in the microwave is certainly easier. Forgot about that Often, when I'm making risotto, I steam the veggies in a measuring cup in the micro and then add them to the risotto.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I usually steam broccoli for about 8-10 minutes because I like it soft. If you think 3 minutes is enough, just pull a piece out and try it. If it's too crunchy let it go longer. I really love the flavor of broccoli, so to season I just put butter, salt, and pepper on it.

I steam cabbage, but I usually do it with smoked sausage to flavor it. It's a great way to make a whole meal in the steamer, plus you get rid of some of the fat from the sausage. Like the broccoli, I just use butter, salt, and pepper on the cabbage. Oh, and I usually steam the cabbage about 20 minutes, or until I can put a fork through it relatively easily...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Sorry GotGarlic - I'll always stick by Julia. She says that that 3 minutes in the water doesn't leach out any more nutrients than steaming does.

Tags
None