"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Cook

How to cut/prepare artichokes?

I have never used artichokes in my cooking but would like to now. I want to use fresh ones and have no idea how to choose good ones or prepare them for cooking. I googled for it but couldn't find a video or picture demonstration on how to cut them. Does anybody know of a site?

"One of the great secrets of life - Never Regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience. That is well worth having. It warns you not to do it again." -- Uncle Toby in The Black Opal
Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Here's how I make artichokes (and I make 'em all the time, as they are quite possibly the best veggie in the world...)

Cut just the end of the stem, and then cut the pointy part straight across about 1" from top. Then, with scissors, cut each leaf across (parallel to the bottom & top cuts) so you get rid of the sharp "hook". Then, in a large kettle of salted, rolling boiling water, place your artichokes in and then cover. Turn heat down, if the water boils over. I boil till the chokes are just fork tender in the stem.

Then...
drain thoroughly in a collander (turn them head down)
and place each in a bowl. (after all, nobody likes to share!)

Take each leaf off, and dip in melted butter. Scrape just the flesh &; about 1/3 of the way up with your teeth. Pure heaven. Discard leaves in your bowl.

When you reach the thin leaves, forget them. Put one hand on the stem half and one on the leaf half. Pull (think New Year's cracker) and you'll see the "choke". With a spoon, CAREFULLY take out just the thistle-looking stuff (this would be on the stem end). You will have a disc-shaped piece of heaven. Cut this into small pieces, and throw them in your leftover melted butter. (think soup) Eat these babies, and you will know why nobody shares.
Also, the part that's left (the leaf end) has what we used to call "the bite-around", which is a circle-shaped portion of the flesh that you can...well...bite around.

I want your input when you try these!

Also, you can eat these with a Garlic Aioli, which is good with either a hot artichoke or a cole artichoke, but in my opinion, it is best as made above.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Here is a website that should help you.

Artichoke Basic Preparation
Address:http://www.artichokes.org/basic_prep.html
Old 05-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Head Chef

jkath, as always, is right.

Had not had them in years, have no idea why.

Then saw some in the store. Live on the East coast now so artichokes are not as prevalent as they were when we lived in the left part of the country.

They were awful. Yech, poo, a thousand times spit - rotten.

But found some others in another store that were delightful, purr.

My point sunflower is do not be put off if you get a bad one. Have never met anyone who does not like a good artichoke.

And usually prepare them just the way jkath said.

But here are other recipes. One can bake them with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese (please use the real stuff). Really like them that way. Google for the recipes.

However you make them, just enjoy them. To me they are truly one of the finest foods one can find.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks. I am going to try some soon and let you know.
"One of the great secrets of life - Never Regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience. That is well worth having. It warns you not to do it again." -- Uncle Toby in The Black Opal
Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I love artichokes but have always been afraid to try them. Jkath, you make it sound so easy! I am going to try this!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Thanks, auntdot and Michelemarie for the kind words!

Sunflower, they look really intimidating, but trust me, once you do it, you'll be amazed at how simple they are!
Also, as many people haven't made them (intimidation factor), they're GREAT to serve to dinner guests!

Tags
None