How to store fire roasted peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
I went to the West Side Market in Cleveland this morning, and found a smashing deal on red bell peppers...3 for $1. WOWZA! I don't have anything planned for them today, but I fire roasted them according to a You-Tube Video I found, but the video said nothing about storing them until I need them in the next week or so. The chef was apparently using them right away for a recipe. I THINK if I just put them in some EVOO and keep them in the fridge they should be fine, but since this is the first time I've done this, I prefer to get the advice of people who have done this before. Right now they are coming to room temp after roasting, so I have a bit of time before it's time to store them. Thanks in advance! Oh,I also thought about putting some fresh garlic in the oil as well. Any problem with that?

JoeV

Store them in oil for no more than a week to 10 days. After that, you run the risk of botulism growing and killing people.

You could just freeze them.

Wasn't there something said here about keeping garlic in oil, too? That the same thing can happen?

Maybe you should have held off roasting them for a few days.

And "sweet" deal, Joe. I didn't know they sold peppers in thrift shops, too....
:ROFLMAO:

You can freeze them under a thin layer of oil and they will keep well. I would not add garlic now. You can use garlic-infused oil when you use the peppers in a recipe.

Agree with GG... I bought a batch of roasted hatch peppers and I spread them out on a cookie sheet and froze. Then dumped them all in a container for later use.

Thawing some out now for a batch of bummus!

Thanks everyone. I'll coat them liberally with EVOO and freeze them individually in freezer bags. If I get back to the market next Saturday, I'll stock up on them at that price (if they still have that price).

Hey Fred, I went to the MARKET, not the Thrift Store.:LOL::LOL:

GotGarlic... You can freeze them under a thin layer of oil and they will keep well. I would not add garlic now. You can use garlic-infused oil when you use the peppers in a recipe

OK, now I'm thoroughly confused. GG says freeze under a layer of oil and BreezyCooking says it will potentially get me sick. I need Bourbon...lots of Bourbon.

I'm just going to clean them up and find something to put them into tomorrow and be done with it. For $1.99 for a 24 oz bottle in the store, it's not worth the effort trying to do this from scratch. I'm going back to bread where I can eat my mistakes and it ain't gonna kill me.

Joe, I did not coat mine with oil, I just froze and containerized them. I don't know if it is neccessary, but my hatch peppers are just fine.

Sorry Joe - I meant don't store them in oil in the fridge - which is what a lot folks want to do. Coating them in oil & freezing them should be just fine. Totally different thing.

Again - sorry. I should have been more specific.

OK, now I'm thoroughly confused. GG says freeze under a layer of oil and BreezyCooking says it will potentially get me sick. I need Bourbon...lots of Bourbon.

I'm just going to clean them up and find something to put them into tomorrow and be done with it. For $1.99 for a 24 oz bottle in the store, it's not worth the effort trying to do this from scratch. I'm going back to bread where I can eat my mistakes and it ain't gonna kill me.

In case you come upon a deal like this again, I just came across a printout from a state extension service I found over the summer when I was trying to figure out how to preserve my abundance of bell and hot peppers. You can remove the stems and seeds, then quarter, slice or dice them however you want, raw. Then lay them out, not touching, on a cookie sheet and freeze like that - no water, oil or anything. When they're frozen, place in a plastic freezer bag or other container and they'll keep like that for several weeks. HTH.

Sorry Joe - I meant don't store them in oil in the fridge - which is what a lot folks want to do. Coating them in oil & freezing them should be just fine. Totally different thing.

Again - sorry. I should have been more specific.

Thanks for the clarification. My head was swimming for few minutes, but it's OK now thanks to Bourbon.:LOL:

JoeV

Actually, I don't even do that with my hot peppers. I just rinse, dry, & freeze them whole.

For Bells I seed & either slice &/or chop, & then freeze.

For either - no oil, no nothing. I've had peppers come out of the freezer top quality after nearly a year of being in the freezer.

Actually, I don't even do that with my hot peppers. I just rinse, dry, & freeze them whole.

For either - no oil, no nothing. I've had peppers come out of the freezer top quality after nearly a year of being in the freezer.

Yep, I wasn't very clear, either :wacko: ;) I cut the bells, but freeze the smaller hot peppers whole. :)

ETA: Whole and raw.

You do this AFTER fire roasting?

I try to be a good student in the kitchen, and I documented my steps along the way.

Getting started on the stove...:

img_735166_0_b27200ca34405cdaa41cb4fd8cac4bce.jpg

Almost done roasting...:

img_735166_1_1d74a9da35e2c5b4bba923c7d3408450.jpg

Bagged and bringing down to room temp. This is where I sought advice...:

img_735166_2_d0828ea92a2bd75d7be7d260d4e9288d.jpg

Peeled the skin off them. Note remnants of Bourbon in glass...: :LOL:

img_735166_3_ec11f723043fcc58a24ab5a68e6ddbac.jpg

Deveined...

img_735166_4_fb488a14101e186f89f4c386b1db481d.jpg

Packaged and ready for the freezer. Note that Bourbon is now gone, and I'm a happy guy. :ROFLMAO:

img_735166_5_254edede2dcd9a4e7c7fd2bba5fe6fe4.jpg

Thanks for the roller coaster ride. You guys are great!

JoeV

No Joe - I freeze my hot peppers & my bells fresh from the garden. No roasting.

But you can certainly do the same after roasting. I mean, all you're doing is removing the skin.

This is an interesting thread. From other posts here long ago, I was under the impression you had to blanch any veggie that is going to be frozen before cooking it.

Does someone have a list of the veggies that need blanched and the ones that don't? Heck, if I only need to seed a bell pepper to freeze it, and can have it coming out fresh and ready for a salad, I'm definitely planting a garden next year.

Pacanis - I don't think anyone here said that frozen peppers come out "fresh & ready for a salad". They come out soft & ready for cooking.

Back
Top Bottom