"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
Head Chef
I love veggies but DH does not very much - he will eat them but aside from salads and carrots he shys away from them. I discovered roasting them - oh what a difference! Sprinkle them with a bit of salt, pepper and olive oil (oil first, of course) and roast them at a hight heat - they sweeten, they just become so much better than they are any other way!

Also mixed veggies are many times better than just one kind!

I cook carrots in the microwave with butter, brown sugar and mustard...yummy!

Sauteed brussel sprouts (quartered or halved) are way better than steamed!

What everyone else said about you not passing your food prejudices on to your kids is absolutely right!

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Pick the veggies you hate least and make them a part of every meal so the kids get used to them. Don't let them know you hate them because that gives them permission to hate them too. Be brave.
Totally agree on this one. I never hated veggies, in fact, I've been a veggie guy. But don't ever show to your kids that you hate veggies. They definitely need vegetables to stay healthy. Try to eliminate those that you hate the most. (I hope you don't really hate them all..) And look for recipes that best suits for them.

Sometimes me think what is love, and then me think love is what last cookie is for. Me give up the last cookie for you.
frozenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #13
Senior Cook
You can never go wring with french fries...but make sure its not greasy...soups are great to add veggies..like tomato soup and such .,..also Pizza with a good meat and veggies ratio
Mexican Food
mexican mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Master Chef
What exactly is it that makes you "hate" vegetables? Certainly you can't just automatically hate them all, because that doesn't make sense.

Cooking methods are definitely in play where veggies are concerned. If you've only eaten &/or cooked vegetables boiled to death, then maybe it's time to experiment with other tastier & healthier cooking methods like sauteeing in a little olive oil with fresh herbs, roasting (which caramelizes/brings out the natural sugars in vegetables, braising along with meat, adding to chili/omelets,sauces - the list outside of just cooked to death are virtually endless.

Vegetables are absolutely necessary for a healthy lifestyle - please make an effort to start enjoying them!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Head Chef
Wow, there are so many ways to love/hate veggies.
If you go to the grocery store and pick up some celery, it can smell sweet or bitter, when I have a choice I choose the sweet celery.
I've met people that don't like--not just the flavor--they don't like the texture. But, you can change the texture by chopping it finer, or grilling it, steaming it, carmelizing it--no matter the veggie, you can change it until it is the way you like it.
I have a friend at work, she eats NO veggies, she suffers from dark circles under her eyes, I wonder if it is due to a lack of vitamins and minerals in her diet, but it's her choice.

I'm also thinking, from experience, that some veggies taste different depending on the soil they are grown in. I've grown the sweetest most delicious carrots in my garden, while buying carrots that were never as sweet as that.
I've grown the HOTTEST jalepenos during one dry summer, again, nothing like the ones I've purchased in the store.
Vegetables are as varied as the day, the soil, the weather, and how it is cooked.

Start to eat veggies slowly, one little taste at a time. Try a cold crisp sweet bell pepper, or red bell pepper with a little salt, see if you like it. You might like it raw and not like it chopped and cooked on pizza (my mom didn't like them cooked).
Try some thin cut carrots, with or without dip, just taste them, they might be different every time you buy them.
Do you like corn, most people like corn. The best corn is in season, right off the cob, with a little butter and salt and pepper.
Let your palate grow, day by day, until you know what you like.
Good luck with your veggies, let them keep you healthy, ~Bliss
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Head Chef
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
You can never go wring with french fries...but make sure its not greasy...soups are great to add veggies..like tomato soup and such .,..also Pizza with a good meat and veggies ratio
Sorry Mama but french fries to me are not what I consider "veggies" even tho the potato is, it's not exactly what the OP was saying, I think... The point was more yukky veg that kids, and herself, hate... French fries are a give me and almost everyone will eat them..
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Master Chef
I hate vegetables too, but do cook with them, and try to incorage my kids to eat it.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
Master Chef
OK, I've tried to read all the posts to this. One suggestion I have is grilling them (and I'll probably post this elsewhere; I've done it once a year since becoming a DC person).

Brush halves of zuchini, eggplant, (courgettes and aubergine) with olive oil or, if you're a true veggie hater, some melted bacon fat. S&P, maybe your favorite garlic seasoning.

More delicate vegs, wrap in foil with a bit of olive oil or butter and seasonings.

Harder squashes, just wash and pierce.

Grill all of these over a charcoal fire.

The winter squash, you cook until they are almost black on the outside.

All of these vegetables will have a lovely, smoked flavor, almost meat-like. They're great by themselves, in a pasta or rice dish, or super in beans.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Thanks for the suggestions Claire. My fav grilled veggie is a salad made from roasted red peppers. Hope the EPA does not outlaw this method of cooking.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac
I was just watching an episode of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" yesterday called Undercover Veggies, where his niece hated all things veggie (except potatoes). The link takes you to the three recipes from the episode. All use parsnips in unique ways. I use zucchini much the same as the parsnips in muffins and my hubby and Dad can't tell the difference. They actually love the muffins!

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote