"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Substitute zucchini for carrots when making carrot cake...

Can't you just shred it and freeze it in bags for future use?
Yes, but I still have to come up with some other ways to use it. I don't eat sweets, so baked goods are out and I make my spaghetti sauce "ready to go" so have to remember to add the zucchini. I've brought the dehydrator up and am making zucchini chips this weekend.

Dehydrating Zucchini and Summer Squash (Chips and Shredded)

I prefer to have as much "ready made" stuff instead of raw ingredients in the freezer. Soups, mixed veggie bags, etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I saw this on FB, I would think they would freeze well:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html

There are also some other interesting zucchini recipes on the site.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Here's what I like to make with zucchini:

Yellow squash
Zucchini
Roasted red peppers
onion

All sliced.

Cook in garlic butter. Go ahead and smash some big cloves of garlic, you know you want to. *be careful!*

Keep it on low, covered until squash are to your liking. I stir every 15 minutes. It depends on how big the slices are.
Delicious to poach some fish in. I'm getting so that I have some in the freezer, or else I make more. It freezes well and those garlic cloves get really tender if you're careful not to burn them.

I did that last night and thawed the talapia filets in the garlic butter; seasoned the fish with dill and garlic powder too. I served it with the squash medley plus a side of chop suey. Mmmmmm!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #104
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Here's what I like to make with zucchini:

Yellow squash
Zucchini
Roasted red peppers
onion

All sliced.

Cook in garlic butter. Go ahead and smash some big cloves of garlic, you know you want to. *be careful!*

Keep it on low, covered until squash are to your liking. I stir every 15 minutes. It depends on how big the slices are.
Delicious to poach some fish in. I'm getting so that I have some in the freezer, or else I make more. It freezes well and those garlic cloves get really tender if you're careful not to burn them.

I did that last night and thawed the talapia filets in the garlic butter; seasoned the fish with dill and garlic powder too. I served it with the squash medley plus a side of chop suey. Mmmmmm!
I do about the same thing in a covered frying pan, when the squash is tender I melt some grated cheddar cheese over it. I have also done it with some sausage crumbles added.

I am going to give the fish a try and maybe even a half dozen shrimp tossed into that squash and garlic butter!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I poach fish in it. seasoned with more garlic (powder) and dill or thyme. Very good!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #106
Executive Chef

I make a zucchini casserole. Before baking I pour the zucchini batter into individual baking dishes, bread crumbs on top, then freeze them.

Later, thaw and bake. Works well for me.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. I do all kinds of things with fresh zucchini, the problem is that the garden produces enough to feed a small village, so I have zucchini, etc., that either (a) gets eaten fresh, (b) gets ground for the dogs, (c) is given to the chickens, or (d) is frozen and put in one of the nine freezers we have. I'm not talking about a few zucchini here, I am talking about 20-30 every 3-4 days for about 6 weeks. Add that to the tomatoes from 300+ plants, 600 ft rows of sweet corn, 400 ft rows of beans, etc., and you might start to get the picture as to why I need to know what I can do with the frozen stuff. I know what I can make daily with the fresh stuff.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #108
Sous Chef

See if this appeals, If you don't want nuts or seeds then add some crispy sliced onion perhaps or some of your supurb dry Ham
Savoury Zucchini Bread Recipes | Ricardo

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
See if this appeals, If you don't want nuts or seeds then add some crispy sliced onion perhaps or some of your supurb dry Ham
Savoury Zucchini Bread Recipes | Ricardo
Thanks, menumaker! I like Ricardo's recipes and that recipe I could see making into biscuits as well! I've filed it for one to try with the grated frozen zucchini (and fresh zucchini).

As I said, I'm not talking about 20-30 zucchini, I'm talking about 120+ zucchini in addition to what I can handle eating fresh, the girls can handle, and the dog! I do not like to pick them after a certain size, the smaller the better, IMO.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

The dehydrated zucchini chips are very tasty. I don't see these making it to storage.

Tags
other, recipe, zucchini

I hate zucchini I love zucchini & (Summer) squash. Any new and fresh ideas/recipes to share? I posted, and made, [B]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta & Pine Nuts[/B] [URL="http://www.chow.com/recipes/10981-zucchini-carpaccio-with-feta-and-pine-nuts"]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta and Pine Nuts Recipe - CHOW[/URL] On the to-do list: [B]Zuchinni Stuffed with Ricotta Mousse[/B] [URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-boats-with-ricotta-basil-mousse-10000001041862/"]Zucchini Boats with Ricotta-Basil Mousse Recipe | MyRecipes.com[/URL] Gordon Ramsay's [B]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls[/B] [URL="http://www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/ricotta-stuffed-zucchini-rolls/"]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls - Gordon Ramsay Recipe | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté Recipes[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews