"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #111
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks. I do all kinds of things with fresh zucchini, the problem is that the garden produces enough to feed a small village, so I have zucchini, etc., that either (a) gets eaten fresh, (b) gets ground for the dogs, (c) is given to the chickens, or (d) is frozen and put in one of the nine freezers we have. I'm not talking about a few zucchini here, I am talking about 20-30 every 3-4 days for about 6 weeks. Add that to the tomatoes from 300+ plants, 600 ft rows of sweet corn, 400 ft rows of beans, etc., and you might start to get the picture as to why I need to know what I can do with the frozen stuff. I know what I can make daily with the fresh stuff.
Quit planting so much zucchini.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post

Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #113
Master Chef

Zuke recipes

I've Sent this along before, but maybe it can be helpful again................

(Attached)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zucchini.pdf (874.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I guess you didn't read the post where she says that she doesn't. It's her DH who plants it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

I realize it is difficult for those who do not have space for gardening to understand that one plants more than one needs to allow for poor germination, pests, deer damage, etc. We grow most of the veggies we eat in the summer and those we use in the winter. We like being as self-sustaining as possible. There are some things I am not fond of (parsnips is another one of my take-it-or-leave-it veggies), the DH is not fond of eggplant, but plants it for me. I am always on the lookout for different things to do with the veggies (especially if the "thing" reduces the time it takes to process something).
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

It's one thing to have space for "gardening" - our lot is 40x140 feet and we have a fair-size garden. But you have three - correct? - *farms.* That's an entirely different scale from anyone else I know who does not actually farm for a living.

If it was me and DH kept planting more than we could reasonably use, it would go into the compost pile.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I'd suggest planting yellow summer squash in place of half the zucchini. They pair up nicely and each has it's own flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #118
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd suggest planting yellow summer squash in place of half the zucchini. They pair up nicely and each has it's own flavor.
I love summer squash sautéed in butter. One of my favorite snack veggies.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #119
Executive Chef

Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.
No reason not to offer. It's not payment for medical services, it's payment for zucchini.

Tags
other, recipe, zucchini

I hate zucchini I love zucchini & (Summer) squash. Any new and fresh ideas/recipes to share? I posted, and made, [B]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta & Pine Nuts[/B] [URL="http://www.chow.com/recipes/10981-zucchini-carpaccio-with-feta-and-pine-nuts"]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta and Pine Nuts Recipe - CHOW[/URL] On the to-do list: [B]Zuchinni Stuffed with Ricotta Mousse[/B] [URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-boats-with-ricotta-basil-mousse-10000001041862/"]Zucchini Boats with Ricotta-Basil Mousse Recipe | MyRecipes.com[/URL] Gordon Ramsay's [B]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls[/B] [URL="http://www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/ricotta-stuffed-zucchini-rolls/"]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls - Gordon Ramsay Recipe | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté Recipes[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews