"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #131
Executive Chef
That looks sooooo good! I saved this recipe previously but there was no picture with it. If anyone is interested, here is the nutritional info for this recipe. My only chance at having low carb pizza.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 cup) equals 311 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 754 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #132
Senior Cook
I love zucchini bread. There is no other reason for the vegetable to exist.

danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #133
Senior Cook
Even my zucchini plants didn't produce this year. I am so bummed. I love zucchini in casseroles (in place of pasta), and in ratatouille, bread, muffins, grilled, etc! Woe is me.
Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #134
Assistant Cook
How about a loaf of zucchini bread?
Most recipes have walnuts, but it still turns out great without them.
Whistlelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #135
Senior Cook
How about a zucchini appetizer, fried in tempura batter dipped in sweet and sour sauce.
''Good cooking is when things taste of what they are''
mysterychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #136
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Luca, you can also try this...
Slice the zuchinni (either medallions or lengthwise), dip in milk or egg wash, dredge in corn meal mixed with Old Bay seasoning, deep fry till golden. Salt to taste.
Now a word about Old Bay seasoning. It is a blend of spices that is mighty good on a wide variety of dishes. Old Bay Seasoning

It may or not be available on your side of the Big Wash. You can make a reasonable facsimile with these ingredients:

1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Old Bay is good on most everything....'cept maybe ice cream.
You can now get Old Bay in Britain. I got my first pack from Amazon but I've seen it in Tesco more recently. Oddly enough the "American" shop (mainly sweets/candies with a few grocery items) in the village doesn't carry it.

Supermarkets seem to be getting on the band wagon these days. More people are picking up "foreign" cookery programmes on television and asking for the products they see there..
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #137
Executive Chef

It's important to eat them when they are small. When they grow and start to resemble infant marrows the flesh gets tasteless and soggy. If I see very tiny ones a little bigger than my finger I snap them up and just have them steamed with melted butter

I like them raw and shredded in salad - in ratatouille which I eat as an accompanying veg, or as a pasta sauce - fried in butter - au gratin - steamed as a side veg. - stuffed with a meat stuffing - they're good in moussaka to if you don't like aubergines/egg plant. I don't take the skin off as it takes away a lot of the flavour and they get floppy.

For my gratin I butter a shallow dish and then rub a cut piece of garlic round the dish if I have visitors. Boil the whole courgettes in their skins for 3-5 minutes according to size then slice to a bit less than 1/8th of and inch and layer the slices with breadcrumbs and a little grated cheese (I use Cheshire or Lancashire or sometimes I'll let you chose your own favourite). If I'm eating alone I mince garlic and scatter it between the layers. Finish with a topping of cheese and bread crumbs and a few flakes of butter - yes, chaps, the real McCoy - and bake in a moderate oven until nicely browned on top and bubbling. A nice on its own for a light lunch or to accompany grilled, broiled or roast meat.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #138
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
How about a zucchini appetizer, fried in tempura batter dipped in sweet and sour sauce.
Now that sounds really good. Must have a go at that.

I'm getting hungry.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #139
Chef Extraordinaire
I bumped this thread to add this link. There are several I'm going to try!

Closet Cooking: 25 Zucchini Recipes
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #140
Head Chef
Thanks for the link. We'll be making the zucchini gnocchi with corn, pancetta, etc. I was getting ready to throw the gorgonzola we have in the freezer before it starts to get moldier (the bad kind) and we just bought a big log of pancetta from Restaurant Depot so we've got lots and lots of that.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote

other, recipe, zucchini

I hate zucchini I love zucchini & (Summer) squash. Any new and fresh ideas/recipes to share? I posted, and made, [B]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta & Pine Nuts[/B] [URL="http://www.chow.com/recipes/10981-zucchini-carpaccio-with-feta-and-pine-nuts"]Zucchini Carpaccio with Feta and Pine Nuts Recipe - CHOW[/URL] On the to-do list: [B]Zuchinni Stuffed with Ricotta Mousse[/B] [URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-boats-with-ricotta-basil-mousse-10000001041862/"]Zucchini Boats with Ricotta-Basil Mousse Recipe | MyRecipes.com[/URL] Gordon Ramsay's [B]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls[/B] [URL="http://www.applepiepatispate.com/appetizer/ricotta-stuffed-zucchini-rolls/"]Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls - Gordon Ramsay Recipe | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté Recipes[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews