I hate zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Souvlaki: Love your Zucchini Dip; Crudities & Grossini

This is marvelous ... I am going to serve this as a Merienda, which is a cocktail hour 17.00 to 19.00 hours ( 5pm to 7pm ) in Spain and Italia ...

This dip shall work wonderfully with home made Grossini bread sticks which I posted back in March ...

Thanks for foto and recipe ...

Margi. :cool:;)

Zucchine in carpione, Piedmont style

I'm not giving precise amounts here, just a couple of words: 1) zucchini need to be fresh, small and greenishly brilliant, you need more skin then pulp; 2) don't skimp on wine vinegar, which is the key ingredient of any carpione recipe, be it zucchini, fish, eels or anything else.
First of all, cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise, then cut each half in pieces, but not too small. And the pieces must be all of the same size (more or less...).
Then fry the zucchini. Use very hot olive oil, and don't put too much zucchini pieces at the same time in the pan, take your time and make them nicely golden and fried. Drain them, salt them, then put them in pyrex transparent, rectangular dish, alternating them with peeled garlic cloves and fresh sage leaves.
Reheat the oil used to fry the zucchini, if needed add some more; when it's hot, pour in the wine vinegar (red or white). When the vinegar is boiling, take the pan off the fire, then pour the oil/vinegar mix on the zucchini, in their dish. Let them cool, put them in the fridge. Keep them in the fridge for almost 24 hours, then you can eat them, cold.

A final note: I never made them, so this is not a recipe I tried and tested. Maybe next week I'll give it a go. Stay tuned... :ermm:

Luca,

Sounds like a lovely low cal snack ... Thanks for posting ...

I had posted two recipes when I first joined D.C. that may interest you; one is a Short Pasta & Shrimp stuffed in a zucchini ( pasta section ) and the other is zucchini fritters, in the Vegetable section --- look like meatballs however, they are made from grated zucchini, bread crumbs, spices etc. They are quite tasty and would be lovely with a selection of salsitas or dips ...

Have wonderful August.
Ciao, Margi.

I hate them, really. I hate zucchini as much as I LOVE zucchini flowers.
I mean, to give them some fragrance, you really have to spice them up!
Can't stand this spineless veg :LOL:

Any advice? But I need some recipe which possibly uses less then 134 ingredients, and no nuts or seeds allowed... :)
Luca, here's a recipe that might change your mind:

Lasagna rolls with prosciutto and zucchini
A different way to prepare the classic lasagne

Ingredients:
Lasagna strip De Cecco
2 lbs
Small zucchini
2 TBSP
Chopped parsley
¼ cup
Olive oil
Clove of garlic (pressed)
1 tsp
salt
Slices of prosciutto or ham.
1 cup
Prepared béchamel sauce (page..)
8 oz
Provolone cheese or buffalo mozzarella (shredded)
2 TBSP
Grated parmesan cheese
Oil and salt for boiling lasagne
Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt and 1 TBS of oil. Cook lasagna strips for 6 minutes, Remove and spread on a towel to cool. Once cooked, the lasagna strips will measure 10x51/2 inch. You may use a different brand or make your own pasta. However the quantities listed are for this size of pasta. If your lasagna strips are smaller or larger, please adjust the quantities accordingly.
C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLen%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.jpg
Dice zucchini finely (brunoise). If you are using large zucchini, discard the central white part. You should obtain 4 cups.
3. In a very large sauté pan heat oil with chopped parsley and press garlic directly into the pan. Add diced zucchini and salt to your taste and bring heat to high, stirring frequently. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. If you do not have a large frying pan, cook the zucchini in two butches. We want the zucchini to maintain a crisp and not mushy consistency.
4.Spread 2 TBSP of béchamel sauce over each lasagna strip (reserve remain for final assembly), then a slice of prosciutto, ½ cup of cooked zucchini, and shredded cheese..
5. Roll it in jelly roll fashion, wrap it in aluminum foil and freeze for about ½ hour to stiffen. If you plan this recipe for later use, just keep the rolls frozen.
6. If you are using pre-frozen rolls, take them out of the freezer several hours before your dinner preparation, so you can easily cut them crosswise into four pieces.
7. Preheat oven to 450 [FONT=&quot]°[/FONT] F.
Using the remaining béchamel: lightly cover the bottom of a baking dish of your choice suitable for serving at the table. Arrange lasagna rolls into it, spread remaining béchamel sauce and parmesan cheese over the top. Bake until golden brown on top (about 20 minutes). If you have a broiler you might broil for a few minutes.
SERVES 6.​

Attachments

• lasagne 007.jpg
    lasagne 007.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 189
  • lasagne 010.jpg
    lasagne 010.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Ok, when I have grown zucchini, I've ended up with lots!!! After having it a few times I got tired of it (all of the ideas here are great!). Anyway, after making all of my friend's take home a zucchini, I would make chocolate zucchini cake. Lots of recipes on line. Some have nuts, but it is still good without the nuts. Hubby (who does NOT eat green things at all) will eat the cake. It also freezes well.

Luca, here's a recipe that might change your mind:

That's beautiful! It looks like the rosette, which are one of the favorite recipes at my fiancé home, but they don't put any vegs in.
Next time they'll do rosette, I'll try to make some of them with zucchini.

Luca--the trick to growing zucchini is to plant fewer plants than you think you'll need. I limit the DH to 5 plants. The other trick is to harvest when they are SMALL. I plant the yellow variety for one reason: you can see the fruit more easily and don't end up with baseball bats, err, zucchini. I trade eggs, and when I can, veggies with a gentleman in exchange for firewood. He came to get his bounty yesterday and brought me a "club-sized" zucchini. I made zucchini pasta (Steven and Chris | Cleanse-Friendly Zucchini Pasta) last night (that used 1/4 of it), zucchini fritters for lunch (that was another 1/4). I'm still working on the rest of it.

Last edited:
ROTFL

And many thanks for the pasta recipe, it looks very tasty :yum:
It is. I added shrimp, green beans, and avocados, skipped the olives. I used pesto I made with Swiss Chard, and added some grated parm. I had made tomato puree earlier yesterday, the next time I make it (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to use a red sauce based on the puree. I bought my spirolli just so I could make this recipe. It is so much fun to make "noodles" from veggies.

It is. I added shrimp, green beans, and avocados, skipped the olives. I used pesto I made with Swiss Chard, and added some grated parm. I had made tomato puree earlier yesterday, the next time I make it (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to use a red sauce based on the puree. I bought my spirolli just so I could make this recipe. It is so much fun to make "noodles" from veggies.

Ok for shrimps, but I don't like avocados and will NEVER skip the olives :LOL:
And I'll have to cut my zucchini with a knife, I suppose, I don't have this "spirooli" thing. This will surely increase my hatred against zucchini. :cool:

Ok for shrimps, but I don't like avocados and will NEVER skip the olives :LOL:
And I'll have to cut my zucchini with a knife, I suppose, I don't have this "spirooli" thing. This will surely increase my hatred against zucchini. :cool:
I skipped the olives because I didn't have any in the house and was too lazy to go out just for olives. Without a spirolli, I'd probably use a grater (grating the long-side, not the short-side of the zuke) instead of a knife, but I'm basically lazy--if I can get a tool to do the job, that's my choice.

I skipped the olives because I didn't have any in the house and was too lazy to go out just for olives. Without a spirolli, I'd probably use a grater (grating the long-side, not the short-side of the zuke) instead of a knife, but I'm basically lazy--if I can get a tool to do the job, that's my choice.

I agree. I'll try the grater, thanks.

I'm bumping this thread because I am trying to come up with ways to freeze/use frozen zucchini that does not involve bread, muffins, or cake. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/zucchini-slaw-can-i-freeze-this-86762.html)

For the grated zucchini, besides what I've done with it in the past, I've come up with:

Zucchini Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe | Yummly

And, zucchini pesto before it goes in the freezer:

Zucchini Pesto with Linguini

And zucchini pasta from the grated zucchini (I can either make the pasta and dry it, or use the grated zucchini sometime later, drain it well, and make the pasta then). That's a recipe from one of my pasta cookbooks.

And, I'm going to make zucchini "spaghetti" with my toy that does that (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1178979). That should clear the counter of the zucchini (although more is arriving Sunday from the farm). But I might have a break from "putting up food for the winter" tomorrow.

"Might" make a batch or two of zucchini muffins during the winter, we'll see.

I'm bumping this thread because I am trying to come up with ways to freeze/use frozen zucchini that does not involve bread, muffins, or cake. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/zucchini-slaw-can-i-freeze-this-86762.html)

For the grated zucchini, besides what I've done with it in the past, I've come up with:

Zucchini Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe | Yummly

And, zucchini pesto before it goes in the freezer:

Zucchini Pesto with Linguini

And zucchini pasta from the grated zucchini (I can either make the pasta and dry it, or use the grated zucchini sometime later, drain it well, and make the pasta then). That's a recipe from one of my pasta cookbooks.

And, I'm going to make zucchini "spaghetti" with my toy that does that (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1178979). That should clear the counter of the zucchini (although more is arriving Sunday from the farm). But I might have a break from "putting up food for the winter" tomorrow.

"Might" make a batch or two of zucchini muffins during the winter, we'll see.
Substitute zucchini for carrots when making carrot cake...

Can't you just shred it and freeze it in bags for future use?

Back
Top Bottom