I hate zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is odd that I've never gotten summer squash to grow well, and I'm talking gardens in three very diverse areas.

Summer squash make an excellent kimchee.

With zucchini (crookneck can be to seedy, not as firm), I like to julienne or slice very thin, then just toss with olive oil and angel hair pasta.

Very good in any stir-fry recipe (if you use recipes for stir-fry, never have myself).

My cousin's New Mexico green chili recipe calls for zucchini, tell me if you want it and I'll go looking. It freezes well.

I love any summer squash on the grill. I just halve them lengthwise, then brush (or if there's a lot, put in a bowl and toss) with olive oil and your favorite seasonings (I like Cavendar's Greek for this). I like mine firm, so I put them right over the flame, but if you like them mushier, slowly on the side. I make what my mom calls "Claire's ratatouille" with them, eggplant, onion, and hopefully (not yet, here) fresh from the garden tomatoes. It is almost more a salad that ratatouille. Top with a little grated hard cheese.

The leftover vegs that you grilled are great tossed with pasta or rice, or in a salad with some crisp lettuce.

Last edited:
I'm unpacking some of my 1000 cookbooks. I came across an issue of Chatelaine magazine that has a recipe for a Country Vegetable Casserole that I have made many times. It uses leeks, cauliflower, zucchini, green/yellow peppers, and spinach (I used chard). I also used panko bread crumbs.

You can check out the recipe at:

http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Country_vegetable_casserole

It can be served as a side or main dish. We tend to eat it as a main dish, it is quite filling.

There is also Turkish Yogurt-Zucchini Salad (Yogurtlu Kabak). Essentially you julienne the zucchini and simmer it in about 1 T of olive oil until the liquid evaporates. Let that cool. Mix a couple of cloves of garlic, a bit of EVOO, 1 cup or so of Greek yogurt (depends on how many zucchini you use--I usually do about 6 7-8 inch ones), some fresh mint, dill, lemon juice, S&P, add the zucchini, and let it chill for a few hours. You can add walnuts or other nuts if you wish. Serve it on lettuce or in a pita pocket.

I have a simple recipie for doing summer squash and zuccihni - Put 2 TBLS butter in a pan with a splash of olive oil and 1/4 tsp chopped garlic (I use the garlic in a jar) Slice your veggies thin, with an onion. Saute' all the veggies in the hot oil/garlic until just a little brown and serve.

Zucchini pineapple bread

My mom used to make this for us. I love it and plan to start making some son-in-law has asked for it so I'm in :LOL:With a mixer beat 3 eggs then add 1 c of veggie oil,2 c. sugar,2 Tea vanilla beat til thick and foamy Stir in 2 c. coarsely shredded zucchini and 1-8-1/4 can of well drained crushed pineapple. Combine 3 c.ups a/p flour 2,tea baking soda 1/2Tea baking powder 1-1/2 tea cinnamon, 3/4 tea. fresh grated nutmeg,and 1 c of chopped walnuts. Stir gently into zucchini mix just til blended.
Divide batter between 2 greased with pam 5x9 loaf pans Bake at 350 1 hour cool in pan about 10 min. then turn out bread onto wire racks to finish cooling provides 2 loaves
This is an old recipe so bear with me.:LOL:
kades

I bought a spirooli (sp) so I could make this (although I don't usually let the zucchini stack up--we grind zucchini for the dogs' veggies and I grate it put in the freezer for muffins in the winter):

Steven and Chris | Cleanse-Friendly Zucchini Pasta

One of my favorites is zucchini slaw with fresh French Tarragon:

Recipe Details

Another is fritters with tomato sauce:

Recipe Details

LCBO's Food and Drink magazine has 47 recipes that come up when you search on the ingredient "zucchini." Take a look:

Recipe Search Results

(LCBO = Liquor Control Board Ontario)

Great links, CWS!

The zuke pasta looks Fab.

I especially like the zucchini sticks wrapped in prosciutto, rolled up in phyllo, w/ melted butter & sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

I have a simple recipie for doing summer squash and zuccihni - Put 2 TBLS butter in a pan with a splash of olive oil and 1/4 tsp chopped garlic (I use the garlic in a jar) Slice your veggies thin, with an onion. Saute' all the veggies in the hot oil/garlic until just a little brown and serve.

One of my faves too, Linda. Great with pasta or cheese-filled ravioli. Thank you.

Great links, CWS!

The zuke pasta looks Fab.

I especially like the zucchini sticks wrapped in prosciutto, rolled up in phyllo, w/ melted butter & sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
The zuke pasta made me order the tool...and I'm drooling for our zuke to start so I can try both the pasta and the zuke sticks! The zuke soup recipe on the LCBO site looked tempting as well....

Still no zucchini here--we are in a level 2 drought, so the gardens are suffering.

This recipe landed in my inbox this morning:

Patricia Wells' Zucchini Carpaccio with Avocado and Pistachios recipe from food52

I hope to give this a try this season.

Sorry re the drought. Hope you'll be rolling in zukes soon.

Very pretty & green :) I've had zukes with walnuts & slivered almonds, but not tried pistachios. Sounds interesting.

One of my go-tos - buttered toasted baguette(s), topped with grated zukes (tossed w/ Italian dressing). Top with grated parmesan and/or shredded mozzarella. Place under broiler to melt cheese. Top with slivered almonds, and halved grape or cherry tomatoes.

Thank you for sharing all the ideas and zuke inspiration.

Zucchini & Broccoli Pesto

Zucchini and Broccoli Pesto Spread or Dip

450 Grams Broccoli
2 large zucchini peeled and diced finely
45 grams Roquefort blue cheese
40 grams of French creamy style butter

Wash the veggies well and chop all very finely and place in a Food Processor.

Place the cheese and butter at room temperature ...

Add some herbs if you wish ...

Very tasty with Grossini bread sticks and / or crackers of choice.

Good Post.
Lots of fun ideas ...

*** note : many eggplant recipes are inter changeable with zucchini

*** pizza, pasta ...

Margaux.

One of my go-tos - buttered toasted baguette(s), topped with grated zukes (tossed w/ Italian dressing). Top with grated parmesan and/or shredded mozzarella. Place under broiler to melt cheese. Top with slivered almonds, and halved grape or cherry tomatoes.
Sounds delicious!

Zucchini we like this and when you have zucchini coming out your ears its a god send. Hope you will enjoy it like we do.Melt 3 tab. of butter in a large skillet. Add 1-1/2 lbs of zucchini cut on the diagonal along with one onion cut in wedges, I like to chop the onion myself, but following instructions from my daughter :LOL:one teas. crushed garlic,salt and pepper,to your taste. fresh or dried basil one teas.this all goes into a med hot skillet cover and cook til tender crisp about 5 min. Then turn into a shallow baking dish sprinkle with 6-7 oz of shredded jack or pepper jack cheese. Put under the broiler til cheese has melted. Eat while hot and enjoy.
kadesma

Zucchini & Summer Squash Ideas

I hate them, really. I hate zucchini as much as I LOVE zucchini flowers.
I mean, to give them some fragrance, you really have to spice them up!
Can't stand this spineless veg :LOL:

Any advice? But I need some recipe which possibly uses less then 134 ingredients, and no nuts or seeds allowed... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Luca, Buon Giorno,

I am a bit surprised ... However, we all have our likes & detestables ...

I love my zucchini sliced lengthwise in julienne strips, drizzled with fresh lemon & dredged in flour and fried in Olive Oil until golden crispy ...

I detest: Soy in any format, pumpkin, yellow squash, and in all honesty, overcooked beef or fish / shellfish.

Zucchini is the only form of squash family I am fond of.

Have fab August,
Ciao, Margi.

Peel, shred outer portion, steam in 1 cup water with 1 - 2 tsp white vinegar.
Drain, reserving liquid.
Prepare 2 tablespoons of roux.
Add 150 ml sour cream.
Bring to desired degree of creaminess by adding reserved cooking liquid.
Add steamed zucchini and mix.
Refrigerate overnight.
Serve warmed or at room temperature.

I hate them, really. I hate zucchini
Can't stand this spineless veg :LOL:
Any advice? and no nuts allowed... :)
advice?yeah,don't eat them then....sorry just seen no nuts allowed....shouldn't have replied should i:wacko:?!
seriously tho' luca i love courgettes/zucchini whatever they are called.we call the green ones courgettes & the yellow ones zucchini over here.i use a lot of baby veg in my recipe's so,if you can get them or grow them.pick them young/small & use them whole in curries,ratatouille etc.they have a crunch to them even after cooking.
one of the nicest condiments i've had was zucchini bottled in a brine/mild vinegar liquid with lots of pepper corns,mustard seeds & chilli in it.the zucchini had been split lengthways & the seeds scooped out....deelish!
i don't bottle anything up(probably noticed ;)) but i'm sure that there are loads of people on here,bolas for one,who could advise...hope that helps buddy:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom