I hate zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luca: Melanzane e Zucchini

;) Thank you for your lovely note ...

I wanted to add that almost any recipe that you prepare with eggplant, you can add zucchini ...

1) tomato sauce with eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, leek, or onion, or spring onion, Italian spices ...
2) Pasta alla Norma ( fabulous Palermo, Sicilian dish )
3) Fried Zucchini and Fried Eggplant
4) Zucchini Fritters: oval or round shaped fried grated zucchini with eggplant, bread crumbs, and the ingredients one would use to make a meatball ...
5) braised under oven broiler with Modena: zucchini, eggplant, tomato, leek, onion, carrot, and any other veggies one likes
6) besschamella or bechamel: similar to cauliflower or broccoli, use match stick lengthwise sliced zucchini and bake with a lovely besschamella on top in oven ... Combine with another veggie that u do really like ...
7) Pisto Manchego: onion, garlic, tomato, bell pep red, bell pep green, zucchini and eggplant puréed and served with an Egg on Top and crusty great bread for dipping ... :yum:

All my best,
Margi. ;)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:, Well it is verymuch self explanatory. No words really needed. ;)

Absolutely! And you don't even need to watch the video, thanks to all the pix in the text. Is just that I love the sound of Russian language, I'm serious. And now let's find those Leningrad Cowboys/Red Army Choir Kalinka video! :)

Luca,
I totally agree with your first opinion of Zucchini.I find them tasteless
I know I can add flavor to them (But Why) Love Yellow squash.

Josie

Absolutely! And you don't even need to watch the video, thanks to all the pix in the text. Is just that I love the sound of Russian language, I'm serious. And now let's find those Leningrad Cowboys/Red Army Choir Kalinka video! :)

Off topic:
Aha, I see, and I love Italian. The Italian singers, back in the day, were very popular in Russia/Soviet Union. They were more popular than any American or even British rock bands. And when I spent, oh about, half a year in Italy I picked up some Italian, of course I cannot remember a word now, but I still love it.;)

Luca, there was a thread on zucchini/summer squash in July. I think that was when you were busy attending to life. Here's the link again in case you missed it:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/zucchini-and-summer-squash-ideas-80178.html ...

^^^ What CWS said.

Do you like potato pancakes? You can make zucchini pancakes (& add shredded potatoes, grated parmesan, & onions to the mix, if you like). Shred the zukes (& potatoes) & drain. Add a beaten egg, bread crumbs (cheese & chopped onions). Fry in hot oil on both sides.

Since that thread, I found an interesting recipe for zucchini stuffed w/ little meatballs. (I would top it with tomato sauce and grated parm or mozzarella, instead of tomato soup.) I also like that the zuke is added to the meatballs. (You could make zuke meatballs & serve w/ spaghetti.)

Meatball Stuffed Zucchini Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Last edited:
That is true, zucchini pancakes are good, but so is everything else fried.

I'm glad I found something we can both finally agree on (in a half arse way). lf you don't behave young man, I'll show up at your door w/ poached salmon & cold tomato vodka soup - just to hear you kvetch. :-p

Sometimes, when someone dislikes a certain ingredient, no matter how many different ways it is prepared, they still may not care for it. But, I'm always up for a challenge ;-)

How about a vegetable (zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, etc.) Lasagna, w/ bechamel sauce & freshly-grated nutmeg:

Zucchini Lasagna | Williams-Sonoma

Or, a White Pizza w/ zucchini.

Zukes are one of those vegs like onions, you can bury if finely shredded, in just about anything. Except dirt. Then you'll just end up with more zukes.

Last edited:
I enjoy them when they are small, about eight inches long. I slice them lengthways, marinate them cut side down in olive oil and balsamic, garlic and herbs, then grill them on the bbq....

^^^ What CWS said.

Do you like potato pancakes? You can make zucchini pancakes (& add shredded potatoes, grated parmesan, & onions to the mix, if you like). Shred the zukes (& potatoes) & drain. Add a beaten egg, bread crumbs (cheese & chopped onions). Fry in hot oil on both sides.

Since that thread, I found an interesting recipe for zucchini stuffed w/ little meatballs. (I would top it with tomato sauce and grated parm or mozzarella, instead of tomato soup.) I also like that the zuke is added to the meatballs. (You could make zuke meatballs & serve w/ spaghetti.)

I've made a number of zucchini fritters:

Greek Tomato and Zucchini Fritters | Cooking With Michele®

I've also made zucchini fritters topped with a homemade tomato sauce (one that I ran through the food mill so it was not chunky).

Try making a gratin.

Thinly slice 3 or 4 small zucchini and place them in a shallow baking dish, drizzle them with olive oil and top with the following mixture.

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 t dried oregano
1 T olive oil
salt, pepper

Mix until it resembles damp sand.

Bake at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour, until the zucchini tests done using a sharp knife.

I sometimes add a little onion, green pepper or sliced tomato. It depends on what I find in the refrigerator.

I do much the same thing, but I do it when I get really huge zucchini. I scoop out the middle and fill them with a mixture that is very similar to your recipe, and then bake same way.

I like zucchini fried, too. I actually cut them in thick coin shaped slices, batter fry in oil until crispy, and dip in marinara sauce.

I'm a sucker for any battered fried zucchini. I'll add them to the restaurant order if anybody else is willing to eat them too.

^^^ What CWS said.

I really like zucchini pancakes. Unfortunately I think I lost/forgot my recipe.

I've made a number of zucchini fritters:

Greek Tomato and Zucchini Fritters | Cooking With Michele®

I've also made zucchini fritters topped with a homemade tomato sauce (one that I ran through the food mill so it was not chunky).

Sounds good!

I'm glad I found something we can both finally agree on (in a half arse way). lf you don't behave young man, I'll show up at your door w/ poached salmon & cold tomato vodka soup - just to hear you kvetch. :-p
Ok,ok, first of all I had no idea we disagree about something, second of all zucchini pancakes are good. Even my wife likes them. You are welcome to show up but not with a poached salmon, that is the worst waiste of fish. ;)

ZUCCHINI SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:

1 large or 2 small zucchini (up to 250 gr.)

1 egg-hard boiled

1 clove of garlic

4 teaspoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

dried ground pepper

3 leaves of fresh mint

Wash, pill the zucchini. Cut it in cubes and boil it for 5 minutes. Drain it well. Put everything in a blender or food processor. Pour it in a saucer and put in in the refrigerator.

Serve it cold with any pasta dish, or just dip your roasted bread in it.

46112-albums880-picture5014.jpg

Last edited:
I too hate the green zucchini, but love the yellow summer squash. I love to slice it after washing it, and saute in butter. :yum:

Nooooooo, poor me! I forgot my favorite zucchini family recipe! :ohmy:
I need to eat more vegs and fish to pump up my central nervous system :(

And THANKS A LOT for all the support and recipes. Need to summarize them on my PC, in a new folder titled "I LOVE ZUCCHINI" :LOL:

It's a Piedmontese recipe (my father's family came from Piedmont), "zucchine in carpione", similar to Veneto region "zucchine on saor" and Naples' "zucchine a scapece".
I have to look for the 3 precise recipes, however more or less you cut and fry zucchini, then let them cool down, then you marinate them with wine vinegar and let them rest.They keep well, you can eat them after 1 day or 2.

here is the link to Russian site witht his recipe. Buy everybody I know make this spread. Use this to look at the pictures, it will be helpful.

ВидеокулинариÑ�.рф - Ð*ецепты и видео-рецепты - Икра Â*из кабачков

It looks goofy, but link works.

Wish I could read Russian! The photos were great but that cake on the lower left.....well that's to die for! thanks.

Back
Top Bottom