I hate zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cerise

Washing Up
Here is a stuffed roasted veggies recipe I use. It list several veggies to stuff but you can certainly focus on your two squashes.

Stuffed Vegetables

2 Ea Portobello Mushrooms
6-8 Ea Button Mushrooms
4 Ea Zucchini
3 Ea Italian Peppers (cubanelles)
¼ C Olive Oil
1 Ea Onion, diced
3 Cl Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Pork
2½ Tb Turkish Seasoning
15 Oz Canned Tomato
1 C Shredded Cheddar
¼ C Grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Remove the stems and gills from the portobellos. Save the stems for the stuffing.
Chop the button mushrooms for the stuffing.

Cut three of the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and reserve them for the stuffing. Dice the fourth zucchini for the stuffing. Cut the peppers in half length-wise and clean out the interiors.

Place the prepared portobellos, zucchini and peppers on an oiled half-sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Spray or brush with oil.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.

Add the onions and garlic and sauté.

Add the ground pork and brown. Drain off excess fat.

Add the seasonings and the mushroom and zucchini saved for the stuffing and simmer for several minutes until the zucchini is soft.

Add the canned tomatoes and break them up with a spoon or spatula. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, to cook off excess liquid (about 12-15 minutes).

Turn off the heat and mix in the cheddar cheese. Stuff the vegetables and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the stuffing. Bake for 35-45 minutes.

I make a casserole of layered zucchini, summer squash, onions sliced on a mandolin (really thin), crushed Ritz crackers, butter and S&P.:yum:

Butter a small casserole and coat with cracker meal (Ritz whizzed in the processor). I do 1/8" rounds of the squashes on the mandolin. Start builing layers of zucchini, summer squash, onions and cracker meal alternately, until you reach the top of the casserole, ending with cracker meal in a pretty thick layer. Add pats of butter on top. Cover and cook in 350 F oven until a tooth pick penetrates easily. Remove cover and crisp cracker meal top layer under the broiler.

A timely thread, Cerise!

Zucchini bread with raisins, piccallili, chow-chow come to mind. I wonder if subbing zukes for cukes in freezer pickles would work? Thinly sliced zukes and onion (mandoline), sprinkle with salt, set aside for a few hours and let drain, rinse well. Make syrup with sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes and mustard seed, bring to boil. Cool. Pour over vegs. Refrigerate or freeze in ziplocks.

Last edited:
A timely thread, Cerise!

Zucchini bread with raisins, piccallili, chow-chow come to mind. I wonder if subbing zukes for cukes in freezer pickles would work? Thinly sliced zukes and onion, (mandoline), sprinkle with salt, set aside for a few hours and let drain, rinse well. Make syrup with sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes and mustard seed, bring to boil. Cool. Pour over vegs. Refrigerate or freeze in ziplocks.

Hey, Dawg...there's a recipe in an old Ball canning book for zucchini pickles. I've made them and they are yummy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie H said:
Hey, Dawg...there's a recipe in an old Ball canning book for zucchini pickles. I've made them and they are yummy!

Yes! I've made them too!

I make a casserole of layered zucchini, summer squash, onions sliced on a mandolin (really thin), crushed Ritz crackers, butter and S&P.:yum:

Butter a small casserole and coat with cracker meal (Ritz whizzed in the processor). I do 1/8" rounds of the squashes on the mandolin. Start builing layers of zucchini, summer squash, onions and cracker meal alternately, until you reach the top of the casserole, ending with cracker meal in a pretty thick layer. Add pats of butter on top. Cover and cook in 350 F oven until a tooth pick penetrates easily. Remove cover and crisp cracker meal top layer under the broiler.

Thanks copied and printed out to try. I love summer squash and Ritz crackers, but never tried them together. Sounds delicious.:chef:

I'll bet this is as tasty as it is colorful. (I'm thinking I might add some herbs & Parmesan cheese). Saved! Thank you! :)

A timely thread, Cerise!

Zucchini bread with raisins, piccallili, chow-chow come to mind. I wonder if subbing zukes for cukes in freezer pickles would work? Thinly sliced zukes and onion (mandoline), sprinkle with salt, set aside for a few hours and let drain, rinse well. Make syrup with sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes and mustard seed, bring to boil. Cool. Pour over vegs. Refrigerate or freeze in ziplocks.

I think I've heard of picallili & chow chow, but have not tried either. Do you have amounts on the syrup? TIA

You have given me an idea re zukes & cukes... I have a recipe for a Japanese cuke salad, I may use the zukes & cukes interchangably, or together. Thank you, DL.

Here is a stuffed roasted veggies recipe I use. It list several veggies to stuff but you can certainly focus on your two squashes.

Stuffed Vegetables

2 Ea Portobello Mushrooms
6-8 Ea Button Mushrooms
4 Ea Zucchini
3 Ea Italian Peppers (cubanelles)
¼ C Olive Oil
1 Ea Onion, diced
3 Cl Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Pork
2½ Tb Turkish Seasoning
15 Oz Canned Tomato
1 C Shredded Cheddar
¼ C Grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Remove the stems and gills from the portobellos. Save the stems for the stuffing.
Chop the button mushrooms for the stuffing.

Cut three of the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and reserve them for the stuffing. Dice the fourth zucchini for the stuffing. Cut the peppers in half length-wise and clean out the interiors.

Place the prepared portobellos, zucchini and peppers on an oiled half-sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Spray or brush with oil.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.

Add the onions and garlic and sauté.

Add the ground pork and brown. Drain off excess fat.

Add the seasonings and the mushroom and zucchini saved for the stuffing and simmer for several minutes until the zucchini is soft.

Add the canned tomatoes and break them up with a spoon or spatula. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, to cook off excess liquid (about 12-15 minutes).

Turn off the heat and mix in the cheddar cheese. Stuff the vegetables and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the stuffing. Bake for 35-45 minutes.

This sounds interesting. I wouldn't have thought of pairiing pork w/ zucchini. Will see if I can find Turkish seasoning (Zatar & Sumac?). Thank you.

Thanks, Cerise. I'll have to look into those recipes. We have zucchini stacked on the kitchen counter like cord wood and, besides putting some by, I'm always on the lookout for new ways to serve it.

I remembered your request and wanted to menton...

Zucchini Pancakes with Tzatziki Sauce:

Crispy Zucchini Pancakes with Cool Tzatziki Sauce | Parade.com

Zucchini-Feta Cheese Pancakes with Greek style Tzatziki sauce | Healthy Happy Beautiful by Natalie Glebova

Try a few, & if you like them, freeze a bunch for sides at a later time.

I also have a recipe for zucchini fries, if you're interested.

Last edited:
Cerise said:
I think I've heard of picallili & chow chow, but have not tried either. Do you have amounts on the syrup? TIA

You have given me an idea re zukes & cukes... I have a recipe for a Japanese cuke salad, I may use the zukes & cukes interchangably, or together. Thank you, DL.

Twice as much sugar as vinegar. I think. I just throw things together and taste till I like it! Oh, and a generous helping of celery seeds. Rice wine vinegar is also very nice.

Finely minced red pepper (hot or mild) makes it pretty.

Twice as much sugar as vinegar. I think. I just throw things together and taste till I like it! Oh, and a generous helping of celery seeds. Rice wine vinegar is also very nice.

Finely minced red pepper (hot or mild) makes it pretty.

Sounds very close to the Japanese cuke salad I had in mind. Thank you, DL.

Cerise said:
Sounds very close to the Japanese cuke salad I had in mind. Thank you, DL.

Thank you, Cerise! Please let us know how it goes. I haven't used zukes, just cukes.

Mine last forever, freezer or fridge.

Last edited:
I bought a spirooli (sp) so I could make this (although I don't usually let the zucchini stack up--we grind zucchini for the dogs' veggies and I grate it put in the freezer for muffins in the winter):

Steven and Chris | Cleanse-Friendly Zucchini Pasta

One of my favorites is zucchini slaw with fresh French Tarragon:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=3833

Another is fritters with tomato sauce:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=4692

LCBO's Food and Drink magazine has 47 recipes that come up when you search on the ingredient "zucchini." Take a look:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/Recipe...xSize=3&keyword=zucchini&yearissue=&seasonal=

(LCBO = Liquor Control Board Ontario)

Last edited:
My mother-in-law quit growing zucchini because it produces too much. I remember one year when she was complaining about all the "little blimps".

My mother-in-law quit growing zucchini because it produces too much. I remember one year when she was complaining about all the "little blimps".
I restrict the number of plants to 5. And, I prefer to plant "yellow" zucchini--easier to see against the green leaves. I like to pick mine when they are about 7-8 inches long...no baseball bats for me. A friend grinds the big ones for mincemeat. I don't do mincemeat, but I could possibly get her recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom