I have an acorn squash.. hmmm now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I have this lovely acorn squash, that I want to bake for dinner tonight.. ummm there must be something to make it special.
What is your favorite way to make acorn squash?

:)

Andy M. said:
Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and goop. Brush with oil then season and bake.

BUTTER, man, BUTTER... Then just season with salt and pepper. DEE-lish.

It's not special, but acorn squash is good with just butter, salt & pepper. I generally cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and put a good dollop of butter in the middle centers and pop it in a 350F oven for an hour. Once the butter is melted, brush it all around the cut edge of the squash and sprinkle it with salt & pepper and continue baking.

I baked a buttercup squash last night to go with the lamb steak. Same treatment.

Fraidy

Yes, butter! And even tho it is sooo delish w/ just S & P, what about a bit of nutmeg and/or ground ginger w/ just a tad of brown sugar? I also like to sprinkle it w/ nuts.

I'm envious. The deer ate all my acorn squash this yr!

the nutmeg or cinamon route is yummy. But these squash can also be stuffed with a sausage stuffing or a bacon and onion stuffing, or a mushroom stuffing. this savory method can make them main dishes!

Robo410 said:
the nutmeg or cinamon route is yummy. But these squash can also be stuffed with a sausage stuffing or a bacon and onion stuffing, or a mushroom stuffing. this savory method can make them main dishes!

Give it a try filled with flaked crabmeat blended with stuffing crumbs some time!

I don't care for the cinnamon/nutmeg/brown sugar route... too much like pumpkin pie for my liking. But then, I don't care for sweets.

Fraidy

I microwave mine until it is soft... cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Continute in the microwave until done. Scoop out the rest of the veggie and add butter and brown sugar. Yummmmy!

pdswife said:
I microwave mine until it is soft... cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Continute in the microwave until done. Scoop out the rest of the veggie and add butter and brown sugar. Yummmmy!

I'd skip the brown sugar - to me the squash is sweet enough on its own. But yes, I nearly mentioned microwaving it for about 6-8 minutes or until soft. Cut some slits around the middle, then use a clean cloth or oven mitt to handle the hot squash. Slice it in half and scoop out the seeds and proceed as you normally would. For me it wouldn't include brown sugar but no reason you can't enjoy it that way!

Fraidy

I have to admit... it's more like a dessert than a veggie my way.. but, I have no problems with that. lol.

I like the butter and brown sugar, but I add some sour cream and some diced dried apricots to the squash after I've mashed up the squash with the butter and brown sugar...Yummy :LOL:

kadesma

Use the acorn squash to make a sauce. Peel and dice the squash, simmer until fork tender in salted water, pulse in a food processer, place back in the sauce pan with chicken broth, whisk together, reduce it slightly, finish it with heavy cream and salt/pepper. Serve it with boneless, skinless chicken that has been coated with ground toasted pumpkin seeds, sage, flour, salt/pepper and lightly sauteed. Wow, what a fall dish.

Chef Mark
www.chefskills101.com

Mark Webster said:
Use the acorn squash to make a sauce. Peel and dice the squash, simmer until fork tender in salted water, pulse in a food processer, place back in the sauce pan with chicken broth, whisk together, reduce it slightly, finish it with heavy cream and salt/pepper. Serve it with boneless, skinless chicken that has been coated with ground toasted pumpkin seeds, sage, flour, salt/pepper and lightly sauteed. Wow, what a fall dish.

Chef Mark
www.chefskills101.com

Mmm. That's going on the "try it soon" list. Thanks!

:) I like to bake them and season with butter, cinnamon,s&p and brown sugar or honey.Or butter,cinnamon and a little apricot jam or orange marmalade. Mango chutney is also good but without the cinnamon.

Back
Top Bottom