I Made Garlic Mashed Potatoes That Turned Out Awful!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Potato pancakes!!!! YUM!

Constance - bleu cheese sounds great! Have you ever made a coleslaw with the addtion of bleu cheese? It's really good!

I'm hungry after reading all these posts!!

No, Kitchenelf! That sounds very good! Would you care to tell me how you fix it? Do you use a mayo-based dressing, or a vinaigrette?

Hi MUD!!!! I have used some cream and some milk - and made it with no 'maters. Let me know how you like it?

Constance - No real recipe. I just use a regular mayo-based recipe - equal parts mayo and Miracle Whip, a little cider vinegar and sugar (for 1/2 cup each of mayo and Miracle Whip I might use a scant TBS of each sugar and vinegar), salt, and lots of black pepper - bleu cheese and very rough chopped toasted/roasted walnuts. I use a little red cabbage in it also.

elfie, just checked on my (your) gratin, and it is looking pretty juicy and wonderful. Will report results, which I believe will be positive.

Better get off here soon and start fixing the fish or I will be in trouble.

sydfan said:
Hey everyone. I love this forum. You guys are helpful big time! So here's what I did with bad bad garlic mashed potatoes.

I made potato pancakes by making them into patties, dipping them in a beat egg, coating them with flour and frying them in olive oil and butter. They were much better that way. I can't wait to try the cream and garlic recipe. That will RAWK!

:cool:
Sydfan,
if you make the cream and garlic, you might want to do it this way..I use about 20 cloves of garlic and 1 cup of heavy cream. I bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer 3-4 hours, keeping an eye on it and giving it a stir every so often to make sure it isn't sticking. The cream will reduce and become thick like a soft mayo or custard, I then just toss it into the potaotes along with 1 stick of butter to say 4 potatoes and mash away add salt ahnd pepper and dig in :LOL:

kadesma

kadesma said:
Sydfan,
if you make the cream and garlic, you might want to do it this way..I use about 20 cloves of garlic and 1 cup of heavy cream. I bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer 3-4 hours, keeping an eye on it and giving it a stir every so often to make sure it isn't sticking. The cream will reduce and become thick like a soft mayo or custard, I then just toss it into the potaotes along with 1 stick of butter to say 4 potatoes and mash away add salt ahnd pepper and dig in :LOL:

kadesma
Beautiful!!!!!!

Thanks!

:)

kitchenelf said:
WHOOOHOOOO - that'll keep the vampires away! lol I'm not that brave kadesma!
I know, I know, we even sleep without covering our necks:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Really although it sounds like a lot, I'm also using about 10 potatoes, I always have a large group here on sunday and so I haul out the big stock pot for mashed potatoes..to day I did 10 potatoes each about 7 inches long and all that was left was about a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes mom took home for tomorrow. If I were doing for 3 or 4 people I'd do 1 potato per person and 1 garlic clove per person.....I'd never use that much raw garlic or even garlic powder, it would be too hot and not taste very good. but this way in the cream that is like a custard it's so sweet and has no hot bite to it..You are a wonderful cook and I think you know what I mean it's hard to explain..just remember I'm dealing with large numbers of mouths here:ROFLMAO:

kadesma:-p

after-action report for kitchenelf

Your gratin dish turned out beautifully, in spite of the fact that I only had about 1/2 cup of cream and the rest was 1 percent milk. Fished the garlic cloves out of the cream/milk, smushed 'em up with my fingers, and scattered them across and into the mix. Grated up that hunk of Gruyere I had been saving for something special.

I recommend julienning the potatoes (setting on my mandolin set wrong, couldn't figure out how to undo it). The potatoes seemed to cook faster that way (perfectly done within an hour, and I didn't cover the pan).

We'll have the rest tonight with some chicken. TY for another great recipe.

kadesma - I realized I forgot to add - "I can't wait to try your way". It sounds extremely interesting.

mud - julienned? really? whodathunk! Were they like French fry size or smaller? What was the "feel" like in your mouth. Did you just scatter them in the pan like I do the thin slices? I have a garlic slicer so I just pour everthing into my pan. I never thought I would actually use this slicer but I have used it quite a bit.

I need to try this along with kadesma's "mayo" style recipe.

Last edited:
elfie, I wanna try kadesma's way too (heck, I wanna BE kadesma with her ideas about meals!).

The tater pieces were small - kinda like onion strings. Mouth feel was like hash browns, with lots of lovely goo all over them. I pretty much layered them as you instructed.

Does anyone else here use garlic powder instead of fresh cloves when making garlic mashed potatoes? I've tried fresh garlic a few times, but I have always had better luck with the powder. I usually add it in just after I drain the potatoes... garlic powder and a small amount of butter, and do a quick mash, then I add the rest of my butter and also some milk to make them fluffy.

college_cook said:
Does anyone else here use garlic powder instead of fresh cloves when making garlic mashed potatoes? I've tried fresh garlic a few times, but I have always had better luck with the powder. I usually add it in just after I drain the potatoes... garlic powder and a small amount of butter, and do a quick mash, then I add the rest of my butter and also some milk to make them fluffy.

I have tried it but can totally taste the "powder" in it. I am not an anti- garlic powder person, and think it works better in some things, but I can taste it in mashed potatoes. Plus, like I said, I am alzy and just throw the garlic in the water,cook and mash altogether.

Back
Top Bottom