I Made Garlic Mashed Potatoes That Turned Out Awful!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sydfan

Senior Cook
Yeah, so I peeled and cut up some nice russets and boiled them with a little salt and two cloves of garlic in the water. Then I sautee'd 6 cloves in olive oil until they were just translucent. I mashed the taters with two sticks of butter, some milk, a little more salt and added the garlic.

How does that much garlic turn into a bland dish? I'm very angry and sad at the same time!!!!!!!!

:mad: :(

Good question. I usually bake my garlic until very soft and mash it with the potatoes - don't know if that would make a difference. I look forward to hearing from the experts on this.

I add baked garlic to garlic mashed potatoes - I wouldn't think that the effects of boiling water on 2 cloves would give any intensity of flavour at all:)

Sauteeing whole cloves until just transluscent? I would worry that they would be undercooked and harsh.

2 thoughts. One, not enough garlic. Since I am lazy, I usually throw a whole head (peeled) in to the potato water or maybe 6-10 roasted cloves if I am feeling more ambitious.

Two, that's a lot of butter. Which tells me that either you boiled up A LOT of potatoes (in which case, see #1 about not enough garlic) or maybe the butter made it hard to taste the other flavors in the dish.

I always add at least one half of a diced onion to my garlic mashed potatoes. I throw them in the pot a few minutes before the potatoes are done. It adds a nice taste.

When I make garlic mashed potatoes, I have a large group, so I use at least 20 cloves. I put them into cream, bring to boil, turn down and simmer til cloves are very soft..I then whip the potatoes with salt, pepper and butter and add the garlic and cream...The garlic gets a mild sweet taste to it and it's wonderful...

kadesma

kadesma said:
When I make garlic mashed potatoes, I have a large group, so I use at least 20 cloves. I put them into cream, bring to boil, turn down and simmer til cloves are very soft..I then whip the potatoes with salt, pepper and butter and add the garlic and cream...The garlic gets a mild sweet taste to it and it's wonderful...

kadesma
That sounds freaking awesome!!!!!!

:chef:

Much of the flavor we expect from garlic comes from tthe sulfides present in the little veggie. The same is true of onion. Sulfer and sulfides are highly aromatic and quickly evaporate into the air when the garlic is heated. That is why the air smells so garlicy. Also, much of the flavor is dissolved into the oil. If you removed the saute'd cloves and placed them into the potatoes, you had already lost most of the flavor, leaving mostly the sugars behind.

Next time, melt the butter into your skillet, add the garlic, and cook as you originally did. But poor the melted butter and garlic into the potatoes. The flavor will be carried by the butter into the final dish.

If you look at each of the other techniques listed, the garlic was either roasted and placed whole into the potatoes, or used as an ingredient in a sauce or fat of somekind, which was used in the potatoes.

I love fresh garlic. But, if I goof up the garlic flavor by using too little, I have a standby bottle of granulated garlic that helps me correct any mistakes.

Also, garlic is very pungeant, and too much can overpower the delicate potato and butter flavor. Good mashed spuds are creamy, with a dairy flavor (my lactose intolerant sister adds non-dairy creamer to give her mashed potatoes that dairy flavor), and a bit of saltiness. More flavor depth is added by introducing onion, garlic, chives, evaporated milk, pepper, etc. Just remember, there are both sweet and savory componants to the flavor. And a great batch of smashed spuds has succesfully ballanced those flavors.

One last thing, I use yukon gold potatoes exclusively now for my mashed potatoes as they have a creamy, almost sweet flavor, and a wonderful texture. And too much fat 9butter) can make the potaotes gummy rather than creamy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

kadesma said:

kadesma

I do mine like this too - the garlic flavor really gets into the cream. I also add my salt and pepper to my cream (over salt and pepper though). This is a good way to also make scalloped potatoes. Just pour this mixture over your sliced potatoes but in the middle of the pan add some Fontina or Gruyere cheese and a slices of tomato if they are in season.

kitchenelf said:
I do mine like this too - the garlic flavor really gets into the cream. I also add my salt and pepper to my cream (over salt and pepper though). This is a good way to also make scalloped potatoes. Just pour this mixture over your sliced potatoes but in the middle of the pan add some Fontina or Gruyere cheese and a slices of tomato if they are in season.
Elf, I never thought to use the garlic and cream for scalloped potatoes, it sounds great. The kids have been asking for them so next wekend I'll make them this way. I like scalloped potatoes, but didn't like onion in them as they just tasted to strong.. This should be lovely. Thank you.

kadesma:)

kitchenelf said:
kadesma - here's the recipe I use. :)
Thanks Elf, I've made a copy and will make them up for next sunday..I really like the tomato addition, emm Thank you.

kadesma:)

I use several cloves of garlic chopped. Along with garlic I use chopped onion and then fry in butter for a short time and then add to potatoes. the butter really has a great garlic smell and taste.

jennyema said:
Since I am lazy, I usually throw a whole head (peeled) in to the potato water

Me, too, jenny. I just use 6-8 peeled cloves, but when you boil them along with the potatoes, it makes for easy clean-up. Taste great to me!

Lee

:) Maybe you just needed a bit more salt that is usually what I need, I like to even put some salt in the boiling water.Potatoes can use up quite a bit of salt.
Sometimes I will also add a bit of chicken base to water for more flavor.

Last edited:
Yes, please do salt your water when cooking the potatoes!

I've never made garlic mashed potatoes, but I had some really good ones at Applebys yesterday. They left the peelings on though, which I don't care for in my mashed potatoes.
Still, I didn't exactly turn them down!
One of my grandsons works there as a cook, and he says that while they make everything fresh, the seasonings, coatings and sauces are packaged or frozen.

I think the idea of simmering the garlic in butter is an excellent one. And I have been known to use my granulated garlic on many occasions. I also think the addition of a packet of Ranch Dressing mix to the potatoes might be worth a try. What the hey?

My favorite variation of mashed potatoes is with cream cheese and French Onion Dip. Garnish with a few chopped green tops of scallions if you wish.

Wouldn't Bleu Cheese be good in them?

I think I'm on a mashed potato trip here...:wacko:

Hey everyone. I love this forum. You guys are helpful big time! So here's what I did with bad bad garlic mashed potatoes.

I made potato pancakes by making them into patties, dipping them in a beat egg, coating them with flour and frying them in olive oil and butter. They were much better that way. I can't wait to try the cream and garlic recipe. That will RAWK!

:cool:

Potato pancakes!!!! YUM!

Constance - bleu cheese sounds great! Have you ever made a coleslaw with the addtion of bleu cheese? It's really good!

I'm hungry after reading all these posts!!

heya, elfie! long time no see. I am making an adapation of your Gratin Dauphinois tonight (not enough real cream and no termaters).

sydfan - your solution suonds like a good save to me!

Back
Top Bottom