"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Senior Cook

I Made Garlic Mashed Potatoes That Turned Out Awful!

Yeah, so I peeled and cut up some nice russets and boiled them with a little salt and two cloves of garlic in the water. Then I sautee'd 6 cloves in olive oil until they were just translucent. I mashed the taters with two sticks of butter, some milk, a little more salt and added the garlic.

How does that much garlic turn into a bland dish? I'm very angry and sad at the same time!!!!!!!!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I usually use two cloves of garlic per potato when boiling.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Good question. I usually bake my garlic until very soft and mash it with the potatoes - don't know if that would make a difference. I look forward to hearing from the experts on this.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I add baked garlic to garlic mashed potatoes - I wouldn't think that the effects of boiling water on 2 cloves would give any intensity of flavour at all
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Master Chef

Sauteeing whole cloves until just transluscent? I would worry that they would be undercooked and harsh.

2 thoughts. One, not enough garlic. Since I am lazy, I usually throw a whole head (peeled) in to the potato water or maybe 6-10 roasted cloves if I am feeling more ambitious.

Two, that's a lot of butter. Which tells me that either you boiled up A LOT of potatoes (in which case, see #1 about not enough garlic) or maybe the butter made it hard to taste the other flavors in the dish.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I always add at least one half of a diced onion to my garlic mashed potatoes. I throw them in the pot a few minutes before the potatoes are done. It adds a nice taste.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make garlic mashed potatoes, I have a large group, so I use at least 20 cloves. I put them into cream, bring to boil, turn down and simmer til cloves are very soft..I then whip the potatoes with salt, pepper and butter and add the garlic and cream...The garlic gets a mild sweet taste to it and it's wonderful...

kadesma
Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
When I make garlic mashed potatoes, I have a large group, so I use at least 20 cloves. I put them into cream, bring to boil, turn down and simmer til cloves are very soft..I then whip the potatoes with salt, pepper and butter and add the garlic and cream...The garlic gets a mild sweet taste to it and it's wonderful...

kadesma
That sounds freaking awesome!!!!!!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Master Chef

Much of the flavor we expect from garlic comes from tthe sulfides present in the little veggie. The same is true of onion. Sulfer and sulfides are highly aromatic and quickly evaporate into the air when the garlic is heated. That is why the air smells so garlicy. Also, much of the flavor is dissolved into the oil. If you removed the saute'd cloves and placed them into the potatoes, you had already lost most of the flavor, leaving mostly the sugars behind.

Next time, melt the butter into your skillet, add the garlic, and cook as you originally did. But poor the melted butter and garlic into the potatoes. The flavor will be carried by the butter into the final dish.

If you look at each of the other techniques listed, the garlic was either roasted and placed whole into the potatoes, or used as an ingredient in a sauce or fat of somekind, which was used in the potatoes.

I love fresh garlic. But, if I goof up the garlic flavor by using too little, I have a standby bottle of granulated garlic that helps me correct any mistakes.

Also, garlic is very pungeant, and too much can overpower the delicate potato and butter flavor. Good mashed spuds are creamy, with a dairy flavor (my lactose intolerant sister adds non-dairy creamer to give her mashed potatoes that dairy flavor), and a bit of saltiness. More flavor depth is added by introducing onion, garlic, chives, evaporated milk, pepper, etc. Just remember, there are both sweet and savory componants to the flavor. And a great batch of smashed spuds has succesfully ballanced those flavors.

One last thing, I use yukon gold potatoes exclusively now for my mashed potatoes as they have a creamy, almost sweet flavor, and a wonderful texture. And too much fat 9butter) can make the potaotes gummy rather than creamy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma

kadesma
I do mine like this too - the garlic flavor really gets into the cream. I also add my salt and pepper to my cream (over salt and pepper though). This is a good way to also make scalloped potatoes. Just pour this mixture over your sliced potatoes but in the middle of the pan add some Fontina or Gruyere cheese and a slices of tomato if they are in season.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None