I need a veggie idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have been tasked with making a veggie dish for Passover. There will be about 20 people or so. I don't want to make the usual broccoli bake or any other standard type thing. In the past I have made string beans with roasted garlic and I have also made roasted root veggies with things like parsnip and celery root among other veggies.

Give me some suggestions to really wow then this year.

IC that is a great idea, but I don't think it would make enough. I would have to make a few of them and I wouldn't have time to do that.

Sizz I will be taking this to someone elses house where I will be able to heat it up or something if need be.

Oh shoot I just realized Panzanella won't work. This is for Passover and we can't eat bread during that holiday.

Beans are actually a no no on Passover as well (depending on who you talk to), but I may just make this one anyway. After all I did make green beans one year and no one complained about it :) Thanks IC, it looks great.

I am a squash or aspargus lover my self, I love stewed,or steamed squash with butter sauce, and aspargus with garlic butter is also a wonderful spring time goodie, GOOD LUCK GB...:)

Thanks Kim. Those sound great as well. I love both squash and asparagus. I made squash last year with my roasted veggies and that was a big hit.

Hey, what is wrong with good old zukini/carrot kugel? Oh, yeah, I forgot you do not eat eggs, right? Well, everybody else will enjoy it. ;) (don't we have wink smily here?)

We already have three other kugels coming Charlie. Two with egg and one with applesauce I think.

Yeah we are seriously missing the wink smily here!

gb, how about asparagus wrapped in prosciutto? j/k :-p

someone always seems to suggest that...lol.

i am gonna make some spaghetti squash pancakes (thanks for the recipe mish :) ), so i was thinking you could do a squash assortment. baked acorn squash sections, drizzled with honey; butternut squash and yam puree (can be served cold or hot); zucchini sauteed in garlic and evoo; and spaghetti squash pancakes.

trying to remember all the no nos of kosher kitchening...but it seems a ratatoue of some type would be wonderful and leaves you all kinds of seasoning options. Also it can be eaten cold or hot over rice or couscous or whatever is standard for that day, contains no meat or dairy, and goes with any meat.

BT I would make the asparagus wrapper in prociutto, but that would probably clask with the 7 other ham dishes that will be served :LOL:

Seriously though your suggestions sound great. I am getting hungry reading them!

Thanks Robo. Ratatoue would work as well. I think someone (maybe my mom) made tht last year, but I bet mine would come out better than hers :ohmy:

One of the guests is vegitarian and I think mom made ratatoue for him to have as his main course maybe.

As far as the kosher rules, this dish does not need to be kosh, only kosher for passover. I would not searve anything like ham that is just blatently not kosher, but as long as there is no bread or anything else that rises then it does not need to be stricktly kosher.

This recipe has bread crumbs, but what if you substituted the bread crumb topping with mozzarella cheese or some other topping? I personally think the tomatoes would be good with just the balsamic sauce. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can easily increase the ingredients.

Balsamic Baked Tomatoes with Parmesan Crumbs

4 large tomatoes (8 oz. each)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 slices of whole grain bread (2 oz.)
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons water

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Core tomatoes and cut in half horizontally. Place tomatoes, cut-side up, in a glass baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Sprinkle tomato halves with salt.

2. Place bread in food processor and pulse until fine crumbs. Combine crumbs, Parmesan, and oil in small bowl. Fill tomatoes with crumb mixture.

3. Bake uncovered, until topping begins to brown and tomatoes are heated through, about 25 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, combine balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and water in a small skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until syrupy, about 3 minutes. Drizzle over baked tomatoes.

I bet I could use matzoh crumbs in place of the bread crumbs for this one SierraCook. Thanks, it sounds delicious.

Back
Top Bottom