"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Cook

I need brussel sprout recipes

I absolutley love brussel sprouts....

I need some recipes so I can enjoy them even more.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

cut sprouts in half, drizzle with olive oil, season w/ s and p and roast with small chopped pancetta or bacon in a 400* oven, shake or mix after 5 min, and again after 10, add some chopped garlic, shake again at 15 min and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. They should be gently browned at 20 min or so. Really good.

shred spouts and saute in olive oil adding a little chopped garlic, salt and pepper and broth (chicken or veg) finish with cream.

both of these are simple and very delicious.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Mr. Greenjeans

I just lightly steam and then toss with a little pepper, parmesian, and evoo.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Cook

thanks for those recipes. gonna save them and try them out
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Preheat your oven to 500. Trim and cut large sprouts in half. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt (course if you have it). Roast until browned.

This is the easiest way ever to prepare them and they are amazingly good. My wife used to hate them, but when I made them this way she did a 180 and now sometimes she has those with nothing else for dinner.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Master Chef

I ADORE Brussels Sprouts & have lots of recipes for them. Unfortunately, I've only adapted one recipe that I can call my own. The rest are copyrighted by others so I can't post them here. Here's the one I made to accompany this past year's Xmas Roast Goose. It was wonderful. The sprouts were crisp-tender & very flavorful:

Breezy Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Garlic & Bread Crumbs
(adapted from Saveur magazine)

1 stalk of fresh Brussels Sprouts, which should yield between 1 & 2 pounds depending on sprout size
4 tbsp. or ½ stick unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
Approx. 1⁄4-1/2 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs (like Progresso or 4-C brands, etc.)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, remove sprouts from stalk & trim of any loose or damaged leaves. Add to pot and blanch/boil until “just about” cooked through, 3-5 minutes tops – depending on size of sprouts. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop further cooking & so they’re cool enough to handle. Cut sprouts in half lengthwise and set aside.
Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add sprouts to skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring often, until sprouts are heated through, but still bright green - about 3-4 minutes. Add in chopped garlic, & continue sautéing for another 2-3 minutes, making sure that garlic does not brown or (heaven forbid!) burn. Sprinkle bread crumbs over sprouts and stir well, then add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper & serve.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Head Chef

i remember years ago, roasting them. Then mixing them with a butter/ honey mix and tossing then with toasted pine nuts. Dont remember the exact recipe or proportions, but it was a very nice side dish
Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Roasting is also one of my favorite preparations.

Next would be to halve them and simmer in some chicken stock. When they're 2/3 cooked, remove the lid and reduce the stock way down. Add some Dijon mustard, simmer a bit more, then add a touch of heavy cream (just a little), some minced chives, and white pepper. This goes great with roasted chicken, and you can add a bit of the rendered chicken fat to the sauce if you have some.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Here are 3 of my favourite ways to use brussell sprouts.

-clean and pre-semi-cook (I prefer steaming to boiling, to retain the texture) the sprouts to al dente doneness. then...

1. smother them with bechamelle, generously add chopped cheese (fontina, gruyere, emmental, smoked provola, edam, maasdammer, gorgonzola etc., just about any cheese that melts well), splash with ground nutmeg, bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

2. sautè with crushed walnuts and chopped smoked bacon with sufficient olive oil. Add swirl of pure maple syrup just before it is done.

3. make them as the centre of your homemade meatballs (naturally it will come out bigger than regular meat balls), bake them smothered in your favourite tomato based sauce.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13 View Post

3. make them as the centre of your homemade meatballs (naturally it will come out bigger than regular meat balls), bake them smothered in your favourite tomato based sauce.
This is such a cool idea. I can't wait to try it!

Tags
None