ICK.....its something like Hushpuppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
My MIL made this gawd awful thing i think she called hushpuppies or something.....hash browns sour cream something else topped with mushed cornflakes.....i just wanna know if there is a good way to make it.,....her way was just awful!!! gack!

Was it something like this? Hushpuppies are made from cornmeal and deep fried.

Hash Brown Cheese Bake

1 (2 lb.) bag frozen hash browns
1/4 cup margarine
1 pint fat-free sour cream
1 can fat-free cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onions, chopped
10 oz. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups crushed corn flakes
Pepper to taste
Butter flavored Pam™ spray

Slightly defrost potatoes. Spread on bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle onions over potatoes. Pepper to taste. Melt 1/4 cup margarine and pour over potatoes. Pour soup over potatoes, then layer sour cream. Sprinkle with cheese. Spray crushed cornflakes with butter flavored Pam (to taste) and mix. Spread on top of potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Makes 20 servings.

I have a recipe but i haven't tried it...... here it is...no cornflakes. I don't know if this is the same sort of thing but it has the same name. I suppose you could put cornflakes and sour cream on them if you really wanted to...but I wouldn't!

Hush Puppies

1 C fine cornmeal
1/2 C SR flour
2 T cornflour/cornstarch
1T baking powder
1 T cajun spices
1/2 t onion salt
1/4 t chilli powder
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 T grated onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 C milk
1 T lard (i dont think you would have to use lard ewww)
oil, for deep frying

Combine cornmeal, flour, cornflour, baking powder. Cajun spices, onion salt and chilli powder. Next add the garlic, grated onion and beaten eggs and stir all together.

Pour milk into a small saucepan, then add lard. Put lid on, put pan on heat until lard melts and mixture is warm. PPour this over the dry mix, then stir well. Leave until cool.

Once batter is cool, deep fry tablespoons of it in small batches until they become puffy and lightly golden, turning each one a couple of times so they cook evenly.

(recipe is 250ml cup, 20ml tablespoons and 5ml teaspoons)

Back
Top Bottom