Ideas for Jalepenos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My Jalepenos are really doing well this year, and I wanted to know what you do with yours. I usually make salsa, but I want more ideas! Thanks in advance.

Jkath's House Salsa

6 roma tomatoes, diced
3/4 c. green onions, chopped
4-1/2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 c. cilantro, chopped
1-1/2 jalepeno peppers, seeded andchopped
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (I like Marie Sharp's Habanero)
1/2 small can tomato paste
Salt to taste

Mix all ingreds in a glass mixing bowl.
Serve over french bread w/butter or with tortilla chips.
Flavor mellows and gets better on day 2.

Jalapeno Poppers. Depending on how many you have these are great appetizers.

I normally slice my jalapeno's into two and discard most of the membrane and seeds (except a few jalapeno's about 4-5 where I save the membranes and seeds). I then blanch them for a few minutes in boiling water and then pour them in chilled water to stop the cooking and keep them nice and green.

I stuff each little half with a mixture made with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, cumin powder, some minced garlic, lime juice and left over jalapeno seeds and some cayanne.

Dip each half in beaten eggs and then roll them in bread crumbs. Refrigerate them for an hour and fry them. You can even bake them if you want to make them a bit healthy.

Serve them with dipping sauce of your choice.

It's work to make them but the end result is well worth the effort.

Wow, there's a ton of stuff you can use them with. You should have some spicy eats for the rest of the summer:
  • Add to Ceviche (minced)
  • Roast, use to make a Jalapeno Beurre Blanc (blend with cream reduction before adding the butter)
  • Use in the recipe I just posted in the "Beef" section
  • Thai Curry (sliced/minced)
  • Pho (sliced)
  • Add to stir fry (sliced/minced)
  • Add to ponzu sauce to make it spicy (minced)
  • Add it to a Fra Diavlo Sauce instead of chili flakes (minced)
  • Use it my "Spicy Peanut-Lime Vinaigrette" recipe
  • Add to Tuna/Salmon tartare (minced)
  • Add to guacamole (minced/blended/roasted)
  • Add to cocktail sauce (minced/blended/roasted)
  • Use in assorted vinaigrettes/marinades (blended)
  • Use in a chilled seafood salad (minced)
  • Add to potato salad (minced)
  • Use in different types of salsas (minced/roasted)

Recipe for Thai Pickled Cucumbers

Thai Pickled Cucumbers

1 Seedless Cucumber
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 C Rice Vinegar
3 Tb Sugar
2 Shallots, sliced thin
1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced

Slice the cucumber thinly and toss with the salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Peeling the cuke is optional)

Separately combine the vinegar, sugar, shallots and jalapeno.

Drain the cucumber and pat dry with paper towels and toss with the vinegar mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I haven't made this yet, but plan to when my peppers come on.

**** Hot Peppers
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
7 green peppers, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch square pieces
1 pound jalapenos, sliced 1/8-inch-thick
Gray salt
3 1/2 pounds (56 ounces) crushed tomatoes or 7 cups fresh tomato concasse (peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes)
Small bunch basil leaves
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Heat the oil in a very large pot. Add the peppers, and allow to sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add jalapenos, and salt to taste. Cook over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until the peppers have softened and are partially tender. There will still be some liquid left in the pot.

Add the tomatoes and the basil leaves. Lower the heat and continue to cook for about 30 minutes, until the peppers are tender. Add additional salt, if needed. Remove from the heat.

If canning, add the vinegar, place in canning jars, and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Or, store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

*Note: If you add the vinegar, I would think you could store them longer than 4 days. ???

ABTs

Another favorite across the BBQ community. Not sure how they got this name.

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Ingredients:
• 2 lb Jalapeno's - fresh 2 -3 inches each (approx 30 count)
• 2 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese
• 2 lb Bacon (may not use all)
• 1.5 lb Pulled Pork

Preparation Directions:
• Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).

Use left over pulled pork, or prepare a small shoulder (2lb) for this. Besides pulled pork you can use any meat. Hamburger, or wedges of italian sausage work well also.

Cut lengths of bacon strips just long enough to wrap around jalapeno half about twice.

Fill jalapeno halfs with cream cheese, top with a small amount of pulled pork and wrap the whole thing with a peice of bacon. I usually hold bacon on top of end of jalapeno and wrap around the middle and come back up over top at other end. Hold bacon ends in place with ½ toothpick each end.

Cooking Directions:
• Get cooker at 325deg steady. You are wanting to get bacon cooked without burning up the jalapeno's. I use a raised grid, and place the jalepeno's on a veggie rack allowing for easy removal when done.

Smoking these are even better. Maple wood and Hickory work well.

Allow 30 - 40 minutes for bacon to be done. Check them half way through and rearange as necessary to prevent any hot spots burning any.

Special Instructions:
• Cream cheese will not melt out unless the jalepeno is tipped over. After removing from grill let them set for about 10 minutes to let the bacon crispen up. Otherwise eat as soon as you are able

add them to an omelet.

How about cutting the stem off the jalapeno pepper, cut some slits into the pepper and then just put them in the cheapest bottle of canola oil you can get. Wait a few weeks and then use the oil.

WoW!
I am getting hungry! Thank you so much for all of these ideas!
Andy - fantastic pickled cukes! How long can they stay in the frige?

Ironchef - I never thought of putting it into potato salad, the spicy peanut lime vinaigrette sounds good and I'll be checking out your beef recipe soon.

Rainee - in a word, YUM!

Yakuta - I'd forgotten about poppers - thanks so much!

Kleenex - yumny idea - do I need to worry about the oil going rancid after a certain amount of time?

jkath:

The pickled cukes recipe doesn't make a lot so it's never lasted too long. I would estimate they're good for a week.

Regrding the flavored oil, I'd be cautious about botulism. There are several other references to the threat on DC. Look for posts from jennyema.

Back
Top Bottom