"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Raindance, I grew up eating stewed tomatoes with white bread or toast cubes in it. Out version was not thickened like a pudding as others have suggested, but the toms were "stewed" down a bit of sugar was added and then the bread cubes just prior to serving. I suspect that different regions has different versions. The same goes for scalloped corn, the dish I remember my grandmother making for holidays was fairly sturdy but quite creamy.
I'm going to try to find the recipe. It's funny how these old standby dishes just sort of go away. I have a hankering now :-) thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I think what you call stewed tomatoes is what we call tomato pudding. It has bread and a small amount of sugar in it. I have never found a written recipe here at the house, but when I was younger it was a frequent dish on the table. Sadly, neither my kids or Mrs Hoot has any interest in tomato pudding.
Not in our family, it wasn't. Mom used to make stewed tomatoes out of the end of the bushel she always put up every summer. She'd prep the tomatoes as she did for canning, but would cook them a bit longer, and then put the bread in for the last few minutes.

We loved it when we were little. Not as much as adults, but by then she wasn't putting up tomatoes any more.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My ex MIL used to called stewed tomatoes "poor-do" because it was a dish poor people ate a lot. A few tomato plants provided a lot of produce, and they canned what they didn't eat using the open kettle method, which is not approved today.
Now it seems like when there are lots of tomato plants, we end up making salsa! My mom used to make stewed toms that way, but since I wasn't a fan, I don't have the recipe.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Growing up in the 40's and 50's, my Mother made stewed tomatoes from a pint or quart jar of canned tomatoes, heat until hot and bubbly, add toasted and buttered bread cut into small pieces and add a little butter to the tomatoes for flavor. S&P according to taste.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskichick View Post
Growing up in the 40's and 50's, my Mother made stewed tomatoes from a pint or quart jar of canned tomatoes, heat until hot and bubbly, add toasted and buttered bread cut into small pieces and add a little butter to the tomatoes for flavor. S&P according to taste.

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

joesfolk, thanks for the offer to post the corn souffle recipe. I'd like to take you up on the offer.

Yesterday I tried making scalloped corn from memory, but it tasted like crackers and cream style corn, yuck. It has been 50 years since I made it using my lost recipe, but now that I think about it, I believe I sauted green pepper and onion in butter, then added some ingredients and cooked it before baking, so I'm still no closer than I was in the beginning. I did learn that I no longer care much for canned corn, but like fresh or frozen. I found a scalloped corn recipe online that uses frozen corn and a little evaporated milk. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe here. If not, I'll have to keep looking.

Somebunny, your description of stewed tomatoes sounds a lot like what I remember, but I believe my grandmother use to saute green pepper and onion in butter. I think the butter gave it a good flavor. I want to give it a try, if it turns out well, I'll post the recipe here.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers stewed tomatoes with bread.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Head Chef

Corn Souffle

1 Tbl butter or savory fat
1 Tbl flour
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
pepper
1 pimento
2 c. corn pulp (fresh or canned)
2 eggs

Make a white sauce, using the fat, flour, milk, and seasoning. Rub the pimento through a sieve and add it to the sauce. Add the corn to the mixture. Cool slightly, then add the well-beaten egg-yolks and fold in the stiffly beaten egg-whites. Turn into a greased baking dish, set the dish in a pan of hot water, and bake in a moderate oven until the egg is set. about thirty minutes.

I have never made this recipe myself so I can't even explain it. I, myself wonder what one pimento is. Is it one red pepper? ( Maybe it is one roasted rd pepper.) Who knows. But this is the recipe as I have it. I hope it helps.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thank you for posting the recipe, I will try it. I don't know what 1 pimento is either but one year I planted pimentos and they were exactly like green peppers, but then again I didn't give them time to get red, we used them as green peppers, while still green. I will use pimentos in a jar, sounds good to me.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been watching this post for the scalloped corn recipe. I'd really like to make it when you come up with the recipe.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Me too, but I've tried so many corn recipes, I have to wait a few days. Tomorrow I want to attempt the stewed tomatoes.

Tags
other, scalloped corn