I'm flabbergasted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You said you were looking for an older recipe, so I pulled one of my older editions of Joy of Cooking (1953) and found Scalloped Corn. Maybe this is what you're looking for. It doesn't appear in any of my later editions.

Preheat oven to 325F

2 cups uncooked corn scraped or cut from the ear
2 beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
(1/4 cup minced, seeded green peppers or chopped olives) optional
3/4 cup cream

Grease a casserole and dust with flour or cheese. Combine all ingredients and place in prepared pan. Top with bread crumbs or cheese. Bake about 1/2 hour.

I made stewed tomatoes with lunch, they were just like I remembered, and brought back old memories for my DH. Instead of trying to adlib every time I make these, I wrote down the recipe. I am posting it in case anyone is interested.

I used wheat sandwich bread, you can use white. If you use regular slices, you will probably need to cut it down to 1 1/2 slices instead of 2. You can also cut down or eliminate the salt if you want and they will still be good. I used 3 tablespoons of sugar because Grandma use to make it on the sweet side.

Stewed Tomatoes

1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 tbsp. butter
1 can tomatoes (approx. 16 oz.)
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper
3 tbsp. sugar
2 slices sandwich bread, each torn into 6 pieces

(If you use whole tomatoes, cut small ones in half and larger ones in fourths.)
In a small, heavy pan, saute the onion and green pepper in butter. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Simmer over very low heat for 30 min.
Gently stir in the bread and simmer 2 min. more.
----------
We eat out on Sundays, but maybe Monday I will do another scalloped corn experiment. Thanks for posting the recipes. Because of them I will be using frozen kernels, defrosting them and putting them in the food processor to use in place of cream style corn. I wouldn't have thought of doing that on my own. I think that will give it an even better taste than the 1950's recipe that called for canned.

Last edited:
I decided to bite the bullet and do the scalloped corn today because tomorrow I want to make a pot of pinto beans, some fried potatoes and cornbread. The verdict on the recipe below is that it isn't runny like most of the other recipes I tried, it tastes pretty good, it uses frozen corn instead of canned, which is a plus, so I will stop searching for that old scalloped corn recipe, or any other corn recipe, for that matter. There may be a day in the far and distant future when I try making this without the cracker crumbs on top. After all this experimentation, I am sick of corn like you wouldn't believe... but we sure enjoyed the stewed tomatoes.

Scalloped Corn
(Serves 6)

1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
1 egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted
19 saltine cracker squares, coarsely crushed

In a nonstick skillet, saute green pepper and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until tender.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Stir in the milk until smooth, then stir in the mustard. Add mixture to skillet, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in the corn, then the egg. Pour into a buttered 9" square pan.

Combine crackers and melted butter, sprinkle over the corn mixture.
Bake 30 minutes or until crackers are lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

... There may be a day in the far and distant future when I try making this without the cracker crumbs on top...

Just a thought Raindance. You might like Ritz type crackers better. I think I would. I copied your recipe as well as Kayelle's and will probably develop a slightly different version.

I hope yours comes out for you.:chef:

The truth is this scalloped corn recipe quest has taught me that (in my humble opinion) there is no way to beat fried corn, and that is one dish I already know how to make.

Fried Corn

6 ears corn
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Slice the corn from the cob. To get the 'pulp' from the cobs, scrape each cob (downward) with the edge of the knife. Heat the drippings or butter in a heavy skillet. Add the corn and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the salt, sugar and pepper.

Thanks, Raindance. I made a copy and look forward to trying it. It sounds good as well as easy.

My Flabber was gasted when I saw a cook on tripple D parboil then deep fry his cobs, I tried it and it was great.

Ps I love anything fried I would probably eat my shorts fried with syrup

PPs I would name the dish Bento Boxers:angel:

:LOL::ROFLMAO: @ Bolis !!! ^^

Fried Corn

6 ears corn
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Slice the corn from the cob. To get the 'pulp' from the cobs, scrape each cob (downward) with the edge of the knife. Heat the drippings or butter in a heavy skillet. Add the corn and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the salt, sugar and pepper.

LOVE fried corn!! I like pieces of bacon, and chopped bell pepper in mine.
Can't wait for corn season!

What it really comes down to is that old, home-cooking stuff usually doesn't have recipes, and vary a lot from region to region. What a Vermont cook in 1900 did won't be the same as what a North Carolina cook did in 1920, or an Illinois cook did in 1950, etc. Not only does it vary from region to region, but from what my mom did to what your mom did to what the lady down the street did. I do so tire of people who say, "this is the right way", and i love this site because we all agree ...heck, try them all and see what we like best, then pass it on.

Speaking of which,there's a question I've been meaning to ask about fried chicken ....

Oh, gee, I almost forgot I wrote that! Haha! The fried chicken question is that when I was a kid in Germany, and then later when hubby and I visited Slovenia, there was fried chicken that was to die for. The closest I've tasted here is Midwestern broasted chicken.

This chicken is nothing like battered and fried, or even floured and fried (as my Mom and many friends make). The skin is much more crispy, thin, and delicate.

What do they do?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom