"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks! first cold day I'm making that...got the lamb in the freezer! yum :)

Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You could use them for a ravioli filling if you ever want to try and make homemade ravioli. Render some pancetta, then add garlic, shallots, and the chopped greens, and slowly saute until they're tender. Season with salt as soon as you add them to the pan so that they release their water. Add some fresh lemon juice near the end of the cooking. Transfer to a mixing bowl, then let rest until it's luke warm, or around room temp. Fold in either ricotta or marscapone cheese to make a filling, then stuff them in ravioli dough. You can even use won ton wrappers as well. Since they're pre-made and pre-cut it would be easier. Some places have Italian markets/delis that sell fresh pasta and some of those places even sell fresh, cut ravioli.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior Cook

wow, thanks everybody! Qsis, i am totally making that lentil/lamb stew... i already wrote the ingredients on my shopping list. couple of other ideas here that i am planning on trying as well.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:02 AM   #14
Head Chef

This I have not tried, but I've some left over cocunut milk in my fridge that needs to be used up. I'll probably make it this weekend. I love sweet potatoes and kale ~ it should be an interesting combination.

Island Kale and Sweet-Potato Soup

(Inspired by Caribbean callaloo, this tropical, coconut-milk-spiked soup can be mildly or wildly spicy, according to your taste. If you like it hot, add some or all of the jalapeno seeds or a splash of Tabasco sauce.)

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Jalapeno chiles, seeds and ribs removed, sliced thin
3/4 pound kale, tough stems removed, leaves washed well and shredded (about 1 quart)
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup long-grain rice

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the kale, sweet potatoes, broth, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the coconut milk and just heat through.

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the rice and boil until just done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Put a mound of rice in the center of each bowl. Ladle the soup around the rice.

Z
Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Oh this is one of my all-time FAVORITE stews! If you don't like lamb, you could use beef, but the lamb is fantastic.

I toss this all in the crock before I go to work in the winter and when I come home, my house smells incredible and my delicious dinner is ready!

Lee

Lamb and Red Lentil Soup
  • 1 large onion -- chopped
  • 1 clove garlic -- minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cups Swiss chard -- chopped
  • 2 cups red lentils
  • 2 lamb shank
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Saute onion and garlic in oil until limp in a skillet. Combine with remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, and 2 quarts water in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add lemon juice, adjust seasonings and serve. Shanks may be served on the side or meat may be removed from bones, diced and returned to soup. Serves 4 to 6
I wonder what would be a good substitute for the Swiss chard? I cannot always find chard.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #16
Head Chef

Spinach is the best substitute for Swiss chard.

Z

Tags
None