"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Interesting ideas for greens?

my veggie delivery has been sending me a LOT of greens lately... right now i have red chard, collards, and turnip greens in my fridge waiting to be cooked. usually i just throw them in a pot with some garlic and maybe a ham hock or a porkchop bone, and then i dress them with balsamic, salt and pepper when they are done. a good dish, but the family is getting mighty bored of the same old greens. does anyone have any creative greens recipes, maybe even something that uses greens as an ingredient? running out of ideas here.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy,

I make a torta, with greens, chard is steamed then chopped, then I add it to sauteed onions, garlic,parsley,other veggies that might be left over such as zucchini or asparagus, add eggs and parmesan cheese and then pour into a pyrex low sided baking dish and bake til set..or you can pour into a cake pr pie tin and cut as you would a cake or pie...My kids lik it at room temp, but it's great hot with a green salad and french bread as a light supper. Just about any grees can be made into a torta or fritatta..Just let your imagination go
kadesma

Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use the leftover cooked greens in casseroles or you can drain the steamed/cooked greens really well; then mix with finely chopped ham and softened cream cheese. Use this on sandwiches, tortillas or use as a filling in won ton wrappers, then fry them. The won tons go over really well for a snack!!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
You could chop em up and freeze them then use them in the cream cheese spread or in you lasagna....
Old 09-05-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
I found some chard recipes in my German cook books
e.g.

Pasta with Chard-Sauce
Chard "italian"
Chard wrapped Salmon
Chard Casserole with Shiitake Mushrooms

I would be happy to translate some of the recipes for you! Let me know!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

greens go real well with a bacon or ham saute over pasta with some hot sauce or pepper flakes. Greens go real well with a cream/cheese sauce like alfredo over pasta.

greens can be caseroled with mac and cheese with or without ham, or with au gratin potatoes same way.

greens can be chopped and cooked, drained and sqeezed dry, (how much is that...about a very full cup all compressed, so probably a couple good sized bunches)
then mixed with beaten eggs (3) 1/2 lb grated swiss cheese, 1/4 lb crumbled feta, cup cottage cheese, dash of nutmeg or two, dash of cayenne pepper or two, a grind of black pepper or two, mix gently, put in buttered pie plate and bake 350 for 45 min. a crustless "quiche" very good!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Head Chef

Oh this is one of my all-time FAVORITE stews! If you don't like lamb, you could use beef, but the lamb is fantastic.

I toss this all in the crock before I go to work in the winter and when I come home, my house smells incredible and my delicious dinner is ready!

Lee

Lamb and Red Lentil Soup
  • 1 large onion -- chopped
  • 1 clove garlic -- minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cups Swiss chard -- chopped
  • 2 cups red lentils
  • 2 lamb shank
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Saute onion and garlic in oil until limp in a skillet. Combine with remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, and 2 quarts water in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add lemon juice, adjust seasonings and serve. Shanks may be served on the side or meat may be removed from bones, diced and returned to soup. Serves 4 to 6
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

OSis, that sounds great. If I used a regular stove top soup pot, what timing would you suggest? couple hours simmering??
Old 09-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef

A version of the Irish dish, 'colcannon' uses mashed potatoes, cooked greens in a casserole dish, dotted with lots of butter, and into the oven at 350 for about a half hour.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #10
Head Chef

Robo410,

Yes, I would plan on an hour and a half to two hours. The lentils should be completely dissolved into a puree consistency (the puree will be light brown, not reddish), the greens should be entirely tender, and the meat should fall right off the shanks.

SO good!

Lee

Tags
None