"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Head Chef

I just wash my hands... The stain doesn't seem to linger very long. I use a "gardener's soap" that has cornmeal embedded in one side.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Head Chef

If you don't like gloves I would just have someone else do it to keep your own hands clean. :)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Executive Chef

roasted baby beets are also really good as a side with pasta and marinara!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Location: Verdant inlet at the confluence of Johns and St. Leonard's Creeks in Southern Maryland.
the beet thing

I slowly steam them in a minimal amount of filtered water after washing them thoroughly... when I take them out, thinking that maybe they are cooked through, I hold them under cold running water to slip the skins off... that is if I don't want the skins... at this point, I like eating them at their pristine best; however, one may discover that they are just right to take to the next level... whatever that may be... additionally, I reduce the steaming water to beet elixir so slowly you'd fall asleep waiting for it... it's concentrated, and naturally sweet... yum.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I cook my root vegetables in a pressure cooker because I'm not made of spare time and I prefer my veggies steamed, rather than boiled.

1/4 inch slices will do up in 4 minutes, really big chunks or whole in 20-25 min if you have a 15 psi cooker, add 25 percent time if you have a 12 psi cooker, don't buy a lesser cooker.

I got my 5.5 liter for 25 bucks on sale from Canadian Tire, and my only wish was that I wish I bought two.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Preheat to 400. I wash the beets thoroughly and then cut each end off so it's clean and flat. Dry the beets, wrap tightly in foil, and then put on a baking sheet. Cooking time depends on the size. I find a medium beet takes 30-40 minutes. Once a fork can pierce the beet without too much resistance I take them out. In terms of removing the skin, as soon as the beets are cool enough to handle I take a paper towel and hold the beet in one hand. Using another paper towel in the other hand I can just peel the skin away. It should come right of and your fingers won't be purple. Recipe idea - homemade balsamic vinaigrette, butter lettuce, purple basil, goat cheese and beets. Ate this last night - yum!!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgourmet View Post
I love beets - but what do you do to stop your fingers from turning purple when you peel them? (don't say "wear gloves". I just can't get used to them.)
I let them turn purple. Then I get out the white vinegar, the one for cleaning, that I keep under the sink. The vinegar takes care of the purple on my hands, the counter top, the cutting board, etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The Danish theory on cooking beets is to make sure that you do not cut off the top or tail In fact, you leave about an inch of stem. That way all your good beet juice with all of its anti-oxidants doesn't leak into the water. It's less important when you bake them - less leakage. When they are done, plunge them in cold water until they are cool enough to handle. Then you can easily rub the skin off.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
Head Chef

and use paper towels to help rub the skins off.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I never appreciated beets until I began growing them in my garden - each spring, I dream of the day when I can thin out my new growing baby beets - the thumb size roots get served drizzled with seasoned rice wine vinegar, and the greens are great salad fare, or quickly sauteed with butter. The more mature the beets get, the more "earthy" the taste - the first are always the best!

Damn! Winter's not even here yet, and I'm longing for spring.

drfugawe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None