ISO Broccoli Cheese Casserole recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Am thinking of taking a Broccoli Cheese casserole to Thanksgiving dinner, and have never made it before. Any ideas? I'm hoping that I can make it with what I have on hand, but will go back to the store if need be. I have frozen broccoli, so I hope that will work. it was on sale today. Thanks in advance. :)

It has to include bacon. I make a broccoli cheese dish with wild rice and bacon. I toss in celery, onion, some chicken stock, and make a cheese sauce using a couple of different kinds of cheese. It is sort of a "whatever I have on hand" dish and I don't really have a recipe. Here's one that is sort of like what I do (but I don't use canned soup):

Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe - Food.com - 144537

And I usually include some cream cheese or Neuchatel cheese, a bit of blue, some white cheddar, smoked gouda...no CHEEZ WHIZ!

I have bacon in the freezer too! I can do bacon. That sounds yummy.I think I could just throw something together too, but when taking it somewhere, I don't like to experiment as much in case it doesn't turn out like I think it will. :)

Last edited:
:LOL: I do a make as I go, and quite similar to CWS's, and it usually includes Velveeta and Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, a dash or two of soy sauce and lots of fresh ground black pepper. It's nice with extra mushrooms and toasted slivered almonds, sometimes low fat cream cheese stirred in.

Last edited:
Thanks CWS and Dawg. Now you know that I won't be adding any mushrooms. I guess if you like that sort of thing. ;). I'm still thinking that whatever I end up doing, bacon is still a great idea. I think I have some cream of celery soup. Maybe that will work. It is a good thing that I still have a little time.

It has to include bacon. I make a broccoli cheese dish with wild rice and bacon. I toss in celery, onion, some chicken stock, and make a cheese sauce using a couple of different kinds of cheese. It is sort of a "whatever I have on hand" dish and I don't really have a recipe. Here's one that is sort of like what I do (but I don't use canned soup):

And I usually include some cream cheese or Neuchatel cheese, a bit of blue, some white cheddar, smoked gouda...no CHEEZ WHIZ!

This thread has intrigued me. My family loves rice. And bacon.

The recipe made me chuckle. Fresh broccoli and canned soup and Whiz? Plus the amounts seem way off.

I would love to make something like you do with the wild rice, bacon and mornay sauce. Could you share an approximation of a recipe ? I don't cook with recipes most of the time either so I understand. Just general instructions are enough.

Tnx

Sounds like you might want A broccoli dish for thanksgiving too , Jennyema. it sure beats green bean casserole IMHO!

That one sounds nice, thanks CWS :)

Our Family Favorite

1 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup milk
4 ounces processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta )
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

I think I can do that one Letscook. I don't have (or like) cream if mushroom soup, but I do have cream of chicken and cream of celery downstairs I think. I'm guessing I could substitute one of those. Also, I found some velveta that was sharp cheddar flavor. I picked it up in case I need it for anything-maybe that will be good. Thanks so much.

Oh darn, no instant rice. I wonder if I could use cooked rice. white or brown??? (I have those) I don't have wild rice like CWS suggested either.......

IMO, baking/cooking green vegetables THAT LONG turns them into an awful, battleship green. Not too appetizing to look at. I'd sooner roast cauliflower. It tastes faboosh, and needs nothing more than cut into florets. Toss with a tiny bit of olive oil and S&P. Done. And serveable at any temperature.

But, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

either one of those soups will work you could always add mushrooms to it if you like them.
I have used leftover cooked rice and made this. No problem

letscook said:
either one of those soups will work you could always add mushrooms to it if you like them.
I have used leftover cooked rice and made this. No problem

Thanks. I am thinking of using the cream of celery. I think that will be nice. I will cook up some rice tonight and use that in the morning when I put it all together. I don't have mushrooms because I don't eat them. I will go with brown rice for the earthy taste. Thanks again.

Rackula said:
IMO, baking/cooking green vegetables THAT LONG turns them into an awful, battleship green. Not too appetizing to look at. I'd sooner roast cauliflower. It tastes faboosh, and needs nothing more than cut into florets. Toss with a tiny bit of olive oil and S&P. Done. And serveable at any temperature.

But, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

The broccoli will be frozen when I put it in. I've had this kind of dish before and really liked it, but I have never made it. So, I guess you would say that it floats my boat. :)

Thanks again everyone. You are the best. Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm probably too late with this....the one traditional dish that my family insists on for every holiday meal is Broccoli Cheese Casserole.
It has evolved over the years from just broccoli to broccoli and cauliflower and then to the addition of carrots and sometimes onions as well. I lightly steam the veggies ( you could use frozen, but they will will be more watery, so you need to make your sauce thicker)

2lbs broccoli
(enough for a 2qt. casserole) or any combo of broccoli, cauliflower and or baby carrots.

2 C Cheese sauce
(your favorite) sometimes I make mine with sharp cheddar and cream cheese (basic white sauce add favorite cheese, salt and pepper, white wine or chicken broth if sauce is too thick. (You want it thick for this dish)

1/2 C seasoned bread crumbs
( like progresso Italian)

2T butter

Lightly steam veggies ( they must be no more than tender crisp) and place in casserole dish. In the meantime, melt the butter in a small saucepan or skillet over low heat and add the breadcrumbs cook and stir until crumbs are nicely browned. Pour cheese sauce over veggies and sprinkle crumbs over top. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes you can alter this recipe to suit your tastes, I sometimes use less or more bread crumbs and cheese sauce. Doesn't matter it's good every time :)

Last edited:
Thank you LC, sounds great!

Our Family Favorite

1 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup milk
4 ounces processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta )
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

I used Letscook's recipe and made some changes. I actually combined that one with CWS's "recipe." it's in the oven now.

Back
Top Bottom