"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Brussel sprouts are one of my favourite winter vegs, and there are several things I like to do with them, and here are a few example.

The preparation is always the same, wash, clean and steam them until just tender, not mushy (colour still bright green, not grey or brown)

1. then spread them in a baking dish, pour bechamel over, then dot with cheeses (I like fontina, casera, emmental, provola, gorgonzola, gouda, edam etc. anything that melts will with heat). Bake until the cheeses are melted. YOu may add some breadcrumbs/parmigiano mixture on top to make a crispy golden topping.

2. Saute chopped smoked bacon with just enough olive oil, when they are becoming crisp add chopped walnuts or almond, get them to golden... add the brussel sprouts, add a swirl of real maple syrup and blend in the flavour.

3. Wrap each brussel sprouts with your regular meatball/meatloaf mixture , form balls and bake in a tomato based sauce (seasoned/prepared to your liking), cover and bake in the oven at 180C(350F) for about 30 minutes.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Here's my recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts, which totally replaced my usual procedure of steaming them:

Brussels Sprouts (Roasted)

Serving Size : 3

1 pound Brussels sprouts -- peeled, trimmed, halved
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 325 F. Place Brussels sprouts and garlic in a bowl, and add olive oil slowly, tossing so that sprouts are lightly coated.

Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil; return pan to oven and roast 10-15 minutes more.
I love roasted Brussel sprouts! Thanks for the recipe!

Saraaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #33
Sous Chef
Here's another twist on the brussels: my family made it for us at Christmas, now I always cook them this way.

Stir fry Brussels with Bacon & Almonds

Serves 4
Prep Time 20 mins
Cooking Time 5 mins
  • 2 lbs/1kg Fresh Brussels sprouts
  • 3 Tbsp Olive oil for stir frying
  • 5 Rashers finely chopped streaky bacon or 200g Pancetta finely chopped
  • 2-4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2oz/50g Toasted almond slivers
  • Fry the bacon/pancetta until nicely browned, put to one side
  • Toast the almonds on each side for a few minutes until golden brown, put to one side
  • Prepare the sprouts and thinly slice
  • Heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or wok
  • Stir fry until slightly softened
  • Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and continue to stir fry for a few minutes until cooked, but still slightly crisp
  • Stir in the chopped bacon/pancetta
  • Season with black pepper
  • Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle the almonds on top
Cooks tips
  • You can blitz the sprouts in a blender, but the hand sliced method looks better
  • Add another tbsp of oil if required
  • The sprouts can be prepared a day before you need to cook, just put them in a freezer bag and keep in the fridge
  • Dry fry the bacon/pancetta in a non stick pan, there’s enough fat in the meat to cook
Cooking with the Joneses
les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
Senior Cook
I ran across this recipe on Chef John Mitzewich's video food blog a couple of days ago and haven't tried it yet, but it looks great and is VERY fast to prepare: Food Wishes Video Recipes - Free Video Recipe Blog

"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote