ISO Brussel Sprout recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got 2 stalks I got to cut down like tomorrow....

Ive never tried to roast them but it soudns rocking.

usually i parboil them in seasoned water and then satuee then in some butter and finish seasoning them.

brussel sprouts got a bad rep becuase they look like cabbage patch kids

check your pm box KE!

Me too, Pretty Please? I love Brussels sprouts.

I parboil fresh or frozen sprouts until barely tender and drain. Chop bacon, however much you want, and sweat in a skillet until almost crisp. Add diced garlic and sprouts and saute. I don't care for pine nuts, so I add slivered almonds.

Today I listened to an NPR story about pan searing green beans: Dramatically Seared Green Beans

And I decided I would do my brussel sprouts the same way.
My original plan:
  • Halve sprouts
  • Heat peanut oil & butter on stovetop
  • "Dramatically" sear
  • Add salt toward end
  • Toss with garlic and chili flakes
But after reading thread it sounds like I'll get what I'm looking for (caramelization) through the roasting technique everyone is raving about.

The lady on the radio explained that if I salt at the beginning it wil steam the veg during cooking, which is bad for caramelizing. So should I salt AFTER roasting, DURING roasting, or do it at the beginning like most people say here?

Anyone have a quick recipe to saute brussel sprouts?
thanks!:)

Guess I'm late to the brussels sprouts party ;) Luv em, can't get enough. Glad they turned out well - steaming. I have not sauteed, but my initial thought would have been saute in chicken broth.

There was a thread on brussels sprouts with so many yummy ideas. Try a search here. I have prepared them as many members here described - roasting being one fave prep. Also have Julia Childs' recipe for creamed sprouts, & Stephen Cooks BS' hash - shredded sprouts & Martha Stewart has another excellent recipe.

This year, I want to try roasted brussels sprouts with chestnuts & a honey-mustard dressing. Luv those little cabbages. Still, my fave is steamed, roasted, or whatever preferred cooking method, & toss them in with buttered broad egg noodles, as a main dish.

I use to steam mine all the time. I would add a little Zatarain’s Crab Boil and garlic. They tasted really good. About six months ago I tried roasting them, they were awesome. I usually fix roasted Brussels Sprouts when I bake chicken. Put the chicken in a baking pan on the rack. Convection Roast on 400 for 45 minutes. Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper the sprout halves and add a little olive oil and mix. Then I put them in the bottom of the pan with the chicken drippings, and cook for 15 minutes. They are outstanding. I stir them around before removing them from the pan. This is probable not the healthiest way, but I have changed so many things that I cook, that this is my indulgence.

Here's my recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts, which totally replaced my usual procedure of steaming them:

Brussels Sprouts (Roasted)

Serving Size : 3

1 pound Brussels sprouts -- peeled, trimmed, halved
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 325° F. Place Brussels sprouts and garlic in a bowl, and add olive oil slowly, tossing so that sprouts are lightly coated.

Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil; return pan to oven and roast 10-15 minutes more.

Brussel sprouts are one of my favourite winter vegs, and there are several things I like to do with them, and here are a few example.

The preparation is always the same, wash, clean and steam them until just tender, not mushy (colour still bright green, not grey or brown)

1. then spread them in a baking dish, pour bechamel over, then dot with cheeses (I like fontina, casera, emmental, provola, gorgonzola, gouda, edam etc. anything that melts will with heat). Bake until the cheeses are melted. YOu may add some breadcrumbs/parmigiano mixture on top to make a crispy golden topping.

2. Saute chopped smoked bacon with just enough olive oil, when they are becoming crisp add chopped walnuts or almond, get them to golden... add the brussel sprouts, add a swirl of real maple syrup and blend in the flavour.

3. Wrap each brussel sprouts with your regular meatball/meatloaf mixture , form balls and bake in a tomato based sauce (seasoned/prepared to your liking), cover and bake in the oven at 180°C(350°F) for about 30 minutes.

Here's my recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts, which totally replaced my usual procedure of steaming them:

Brussels Sprouts (Roasted)

Serving Size : 3

1 pound Brussels sprouts -- peeled, trimmed, halved
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 325° F. Place Brussels sprouts and garlic in a bowl, and add olive oil slowly, tossing so that sprouts are lightly coated.

Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil; return pan to oven and roast 10-15 minutes more.

I love roasted Brussel sprouts! Thanks for the recipe!

Here's another twist on the brussels: my family made it for us at Christmas, now I always cook them this way.

Stir fry Brussels with Bacon & Almonds

Serves 4
Prep Time 20 mins
Cooking Time 5 mins
Ingredients

• 2 lbs/1kg Fresh Brussels sprouts
  • 3 Tbsp Olive oil for stir frying
  • 5 Rashers finely chopped streaky bacon or 200g Pancetta finely chopped
  • 2-4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2oz/50g Toasted almond slivers
Method

• Fry the bacon/pancetta until nicely browned, put to one side
  • Toast the almonds on each side for a few minutes until golden brown, put to one side
  • Prepare the sprouts and thinly slice
  • Heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or wok
  • Stir fry until slightly softened
  • Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and continue to stir fry for a few minutes until cooked, but still slightly crisp
  • Stir in the chopped bacon/pancetta
  • Season with black pepper
  • Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle the almonds on top
Cooks tips

• You can blitz the sprouts in a blender, but the hand sliced method looks better
  • Add another tbsp of oil if required
  • The sprouts can be prepared a day before you need to cook, just put them in a freezer bag and keep in the fridge
  • Dry fry the bacon/pancetta in a non stick pan, there’s enough fat in the meat to cook

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom