"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

After reading all these exellent carrot recipes, I hesitate to suggest glazed carrots for a side dish.

Cut the carrots into uniform pieces and place them in a single layer in a covered saute pan. Cover with cold water, a tablespoon or two of butter and a quarter cup of brown or white sugar. Bring to a boil, covered, and cook until almost done. Remove the cover and cook over high heat until almost all the water is gone. Shake the pan back and forth on the burner to toss the carrots around in the melted butter/sugar combination until all the water is gone and there is a syrupy coating on the carrots.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Master Chef

i am incredibly in favor of the absolute basics. buttered carrots, a somewhat excessive amount of ground sage, a sprinkling of seasalt, a little fresh-cracked black pepper..... delicicious.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
After reading all these exellent carrot recipes, I hesitate to suggest glazed carrots for a side dish.

Cut the carrots into uniform pieces and place them in a single layer in a covered saute pan. Cover with cold water, a tablespoon or two of butter and a quarter cup of brown or white sugar. Bring to a boil, covered, and cook until almost done. Remove the cover and cook over high heat until almost all the water is gone. Shake the pan back and forth on the burner to toss the carrots around in the melted butter/sugar combination until all the water is gone and there is a syrupy coating on the carrots.

I do this all the time, the family loves them however I just throw the brown sugar and butter on after they are done cooking ...talk of laziness
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Carrot Relish

8 carrots
2 medium sized heads cabbage
8 small onions
8 sweet red and green peppers
cup canning salt (scant)

Grind the vegetables in food chopper. Put in a large bowl or crock, add salt and let stand 2 hours. Drain and wash off salt, adding a cup of water to do it. Mix:

6 scant cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed

Add to drained vegetables. Put in sterilized jars and seal. Requires no cooking and keeps well.

*Note: If you are not going to keep this refrigerated, it's going to need a boiling water bath.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

Carrot & Pineapple Salad

My mom always made this for me...I love it! I'm not sure about the amounts here, so you'll have to use your own good sense. She made it in a 9x13 pyrex dish.

1 can crushed pineapple, juice reserved
1 cup grated carrot
1-2 boxes orange jello

Prepare jello according to instructions, using the reserved pineapple juice for part of the cold liquid called for. Stir in pineapple and carrots and refrigerate until chilled. Yummy!

Tags
None