"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Hey gang,
I made that cold cucumber soup that a couple of you recommended for some of our French friends yesterday as a first course for lunch.
They loved it and asked for the recipe. Now, when the French ask you for 'the recipe' you know it had to be good. It's probably the finest complement they can give you here in France. Thanks Team.............I bigged up DC. Wasn't I good??

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Which recipe did you prepare, menumaker? I think I need to make some vanilla oil...

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I went with this one simply because I had the ingredients to hand but I took your idea CWS and grated the Cucumbers instead of chopping them before blitzing I also went with mint instead of Dill only because I am using my Dill a lot with the pickles at the moment and fancied a change. I made tiny cucumber dice and red onion which I served separately as a garnish that they could help themselves to.

Cold Cucumber Soup with Yogurt and Dill Recipe - Andrew Zimmern | Food & Wine

What's with the vanilla oil......? I put a couple of pods in a glass phial, fill up with brandy or rum, stopper them and leave for a couple of months. Instant Vanilla essence!!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Which recipe did you prepare, menumaker? I think I need to make some vanilla oil...
Me too. I am definitely going to make that soup soon.

When I was looking for the link, I noticed his gruyere cheese puffs with the tomato-cumin-roasted garlic sauce. That's going to get made soon as well. In fact, since I couldn't find the sauce recipe anywhere except in the table of contents preview panel from his cookbook "The Cuisine of Hubert Keller," I ended up ordering it. Got one in mint condition for just over $20, including S and H, and it's even got an autograph, though it's personalized to the original owner. Quite a few interesting looking recipes in it.

Tags
cucumber, other, recipe, soup

ISO cold cucumber soup recipe Has anyone got a really good cucumber soup recipe that is T&T please. I have now used all my refrigerator space on making the wonderful pickles that was posted on DC recently ( Thank you Steve Kroll ) If not, I'll experiment and see how it goes :wink: 3 stars 1 reviews