ISO Cold Green Bean Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
I have a lot of canned Green Beans and am looking for a nice mild dressing for over them to be able to eat them cold as a side. Anyone got any ideas?

The easiest thing to do is marinate them in Italian dressing - I like the Good Seasons and add just a tad of sugar to it. Just drain, mix with dressing, place in fridge for a few hours.

You can also make a bean salad and add to your drained green beans kidney beans, lima beans, corn, fresh green or red pepper, jarred chopped pimento, (you can use all of these ingredients or as few as you want to) and then make a dressing out of cider vinegar, oil, sugar, and celery seed. Try the 1/2/3 method to see how it tastes - 1 part sugar, 2 parts oil, 3 parts vinegar. Go easy on the celery seed at first. Mix the sugar in the vinegar FIRST - this will help "melt" the sugar. Add the oil while CONSTANTLY whisking, add the celery seed. Taste. If it needs more vinegar, add; if it's too vinegary add some oil, etc.

Along Katie E's suggestion - this is a good drizzle/dressing

1 clove garlic
1 TBS chopped chives
3 tsp red-wine vinegar
½ TBS Dijon mustard

You could lightly saute your shallots, mix with the above "dressing" and toss your green beans in it.

A wonderful dressing where you could easily replace any or all of the veg in it. Green beans would be awesome in this...wish I'd thought of it before...

. 3/4 cup white sugar
. 1 teaspoon celery seed
. 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
. 1 cup distilled white vinegar
. 1/4 cup canola oil
. 1 teaspoon salt
. 2 cups cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
. 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
. 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
. 1/2 cup chopped celery

. Combine sugar, celery seeds, black pepper, vinegar, oil, and salt in a screw-top jar. Shake well to mix.
Combine vegetables in large bowl. Pour dressing over vegetables, and stir gently. Cover, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Back
Top Bottom