"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks so much everyone, for the yummy recipes! I can't wait to get started experimenting! My kids will be less than thrilled, but they'll get over it! Thanks again!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #12
Head Chef

Does creamed spinach freeze well?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
Senior Cook

The way I do it (simply adding cream) it freezes perfectly.

And frozen creamed spinach is available in the stores in my neck of the woods.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

My family recipe is similar to yours Advoca. Since as far back as I can remember, Thanksgiving wasn't Thanksgiving without my grandmother's Creamed Spinach, which was simply some minced onion & garlic sauteed in butter & then stirred into a couple of cooked & drained packages of frozen chopped spinach. Then just enough heavy cream added to taste. Sometimes she'd add a finely chopped hardboiled egg. That was it.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
Executive Chef

This one's on my list to try.

Spinach Gratin

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1/8 cup flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, grated
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Milk, whole
2 bags fresh, spinach
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes or until translucent. Add the spinach to the sauce, cook for about a minute or until the spinach is just wilted.

Add the flour and nutmeg, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Add 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and the Gruyere. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thank you for the Karma, Beth

Another creamed spinach recipe I just remembered:

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's - maybe add some toasted pine nuts.

http://www.lawrys.com/index.cfm?lry_...2&version_id=1
Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Does creamed spinach freeze well?
If you look over the posted recipes, many of them are variations on a white sauce / bechamel (some with added cheese). The spinach is cooked, squeezed free of water, chopped and then the sauce is added to the cooked spinach and mixed in. Then it is gently reheated on the stove top or baked in the oven.

I love creamed spinach but I don't want to have to make bechamel every time I want creamed spinach. So what I do is make a big batch of my favorite bechamel and freeze it in 4-oz portions. It freezes very well.

If I'm planning ahead, I'll let the frozen bechamel defrost in the frig - if I'm in a hurry I "melt down" and reheat the frozen bechamel in a double boiler. Cook the spinach while the bechamel is reheating. Then finish the dish off.

I find about 4 oz bechamel is about right for a 10-oz package of fresh spinach.

I do think an ample freezer is the harried cook's best friend.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #18
Master Chef

Bravo Advoca!!!!

This is why I will always adore my father's (from my grandmother's) recipe. No bechamel sauce, cheese, or anything else "gluey". Just spinach, some chopped garlic, & a few dashes of heavy cream. Light & tasty.

Edited to add - dash of nutmeg too!! Gee Advoca, perhaps we were related in a former life - lol!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Bravo Advoca!!!!

This is why I will always adore my father's (from my grandmother's) recipe. No bechamel sauce, cheese, or anything else "gluey". Just spinach, some chopped garlic, & a few dashes of heavy cream. Light & tasty.

Edited to add - dash of nutmeg too!! Gee Advoca, perhaps we were related in a former life - lol!!!!
Breezy, sometimes you take the words outta my mouth. Couldn't agree more - bechamel, heavy sauces, tons of cheese and tons o bacon - bury the dish for me. I also prefer fresh spinach to frozen packages. A little cream, a little garlic (if desired)... I keep it simple. Nutmeg - yes That's what I liked so much about the Spinach gratin recipe. Now I' hungry. LOL And I didn't even like spinach as a kid.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #20
Master Chef

I do have to admit that I use frozen spinach for my creamed spinach recipes. Used to feel like an alien about it until I read an article in the New York Times which listed all the vegetables that were actually better, more convenient, & sometimes fresher purchased frozen than fresh, & spinach was one of them.

Using frozen spinach, since it's been pre-blanched, enables me to better estimate ultimate serving sizes, not to mention cutting out the washing/de-stemming, etc., etc.

These days I only use fresh spinach for olive oil/garlic spinach saute's.

Tags
None