ISO: Different ways to cook a potato but still remain soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruger22C

Assistant Cook
I enjoy eating alot of Potatos, because they are soft, and they have alot of Carbohydrates. Generally, I just microwave one for about 5 minutes, but I would appreciate suggestions, for ways other than microwaving it, that may taste better. It has to remain soft, however.

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.

Last edited:
hello, there, and welcome.:)

there are some ways i make potatoes that gives them a good flavor.
one way is to boil some very small red potatoes (about the size of a golf ball, or some cubed larger potatoes) and sprinkle them with kosher salt or any salt that you like, pepper and garlic powder, and melted butter. a little parsley if you'd like.

we have onions and potatoes a lot. sliced potatoes, sliced white onion, butter and black pepper fried in a skillet till soft.

and i like to halve cooked whole yukon gold potatoes and use a fork to smush it along with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, scallions, or other things like that. i

Mashes potatoes with chopped lightly fried onions, chopped green and red bell peppers, garlic. . Add to hot mashed potatoes or add to potatoes and bake 350 until heated through. This makes a very colorful dish. I use it at holiday gatherings.

Twice baked potatoes are good & you can do them in the microwave. After cooking the potatoes, split them open like you would for a baked potato & scoop out all the flesh into a bowl. Mix with sour cream, grated cheese, butter, chives, salt & pepper, garlic powder, or whatever you like. Spoon back into potato skins & heat until cheese is melted & potatoes are heated through.

My top suggestion is gnocchi. If you are not familiar with the name, it is a bite size pasta made with mixture of mashed potato and flour, and you can enjoy it with any of your favourite sauce/condiments. It is a very convenient, easy, versatile, hearty and tasty choice... this is the basic recipe.

-1kg(2lbs +) of potatoes, washed. (whole, unpeeled)
-250g(9oz) of flour. + some extra to dust the work surface

Boil/or pressure cook the potatoes AS IS (whole, with skin on). Drain, when it is cooled (but still warm) enough peel the potatoes, and mash/puree it thoroughly. Let it cool.
Flour the flat work surface, mix the potatoes and flour and knead well to make a smooth but slightly rumpy texture.
Roll the dough to make several ropes about the thickness of your finger. Cut them into about 2,5cm/1inch pieces. you can form each pieces as you like, the classic form is like this

gnocchi.jpg

But it is not necessary, you can make a little ball slightly flattened in the middle, or something like ...
gnocchip.jpg

Prepare a lightly salted boiling water in an ample pot, drop gnocchi, not too many at a time. Scoop them up as they come to the surface to a serving dish.

They are wonderful any kind of condiment/sauce you would use for other kind of pasta (my favourite is a tomato based sugo with some bacon, creamy mushroom, or 4 cheese sauce!!), you can also make variations of gnocchi by mixing some spinaci or mashed pumpkin...

Potatoes are so versatile there are many other options, it is just gnocchi is my fave, when it comes to "soft" version of potato choices...if there are interests I will post more!!

Cook your potatoes as you would for mashed potatoes........mash them and add butter and sour cream......whip them with your mixer and add some milk till they get to that wonderful fluffy texture. Now stir in some chopped scallions (only the green part) and crumbled bacon.

Potatoes Boulangier

This recipe comes from a friend who is a gourmet cook. I have fixed them, and they are very good!

Bern's Potatoes Boulangier
To serve 4: Preheat oven to 375'F.

Peel five russet potatoes [medium size] and place in bowl of cold water to keep from discoloring. Peel a large onion and a shallot, and three cloves of garlic. Dice up small in food processor and remove to a bowl.
Change blade to a slicing blade in food processor and slice all potatoes. (or slice by hand) Heat a cup of chicken stock in the micro and add some pepper, dill weed, oregano, mustard, paprika, and nutmeg. Take a cup of grated
swiss or mixed four cheese. Grease baking dish [7x 11], put down a sprinkled layer of onion mix. Lay potatoes in overlapping, one layer deep, sprinkle with some of grated cheese, repeat until all potatoes and cheese and onion mix are layered in baking dish. Pour over the cup of stock, cover with a sheet of foil, and put into oven for 20 minutes.
Take off foil after 20 minutes, and cook another 20 minutes until brown and slightly puffy. Cut in squares an serve hot as a side with meat or fish.
Leftovers make spectacular hash browns.

I like potatoes, carrots and onions boiled in stock or broth, then mashed with some of the broth, S&P and butter. It's actually part of a New England Boiled dinner (the broth is provided by actual meat -- anything from a chicken to ham to beef bones to corned beef), but you can just use canned or otherwise packaged. Real comfort food from my childhood. If you have to have soft food for some medical reason, the carrots add more nutrition. You also can consider doing your usual microwave thing with a sweet potato, which has more nutrition than a white one. I've heard tell that the most nutritional-yet-simple meal is a baked sweet potato and glass of buttermilk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom