ISO Easy Veggie Recipes for Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although every version of succotash I've had was corn and limas, I don't see why you need to have both. I hate to say it, but limas are not my favorite veg, and I'd be more inclined to leave THEM out! Sometimes rather than substitute, it is better to just leave an ingredient out if you can't eat it.

Sir Loin,

Can garden peas or something be substituted for the corn? Unfortunately I have intolerance to corn.

I've never substituted anything in this recipe, but I don't think peas would be a good choice. You're going for eye appeal as well as flavour,and peas, along with the limas and okra, would be too much green. If I had to replace the corn, I think I'd go with small diced carrots.

If you want REALLY simple, I have made this for week day suppers in a pinch many times. I just kind of throw it together with amounts of each ingredient that look just about right, so there is no recipe, per se.

Enough green beans to serve all, a bit of chopped onion, chopped garlic, and chopped red and/or yellow bell pepper. Heat a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat, toss everything into the pan at the same time and sauté until the green beans are crisp tender.

Really quick and simple and deeelish!

Serves 3
500g sprouts
Small piece of ginger cut finely
1 or 2 red chilli's cut finely
1 clove of garlic crushed

Cook sprouts to desired done-ness. Drain and set aside.
Spray cooking spray into a pan. Bring to medium heat and add ginger, chilli and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the sprouts to the pan and mix together. Cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
Serve!

I could literally live off of this.

Potato Pie.
Gently heat cream and chopped Tarragon.
Sweat thin sliced waxy pots and onions in butter till they start going opaque.
Line a tin with puff pastry, fill with the cooled potato and onion mix seasoning with salt and pepper as you fill.
Crimp on your puff pastry lid, make a hole in the middle.egg wash and bake in a medium oven till golden.
Allow to cool a little, take out of the tin, pour in through the hole your cream.
This should be eaten luke warm with a big salad.
Top up with the cream as your pie cools.

Last edited:
Here's my fast and fancy veggie side dish. 10 minutes start to finish:

I PKG frozen Italian green beans (flat beans)
I can diced stewed tomatoes
I handful for fresh basil leaves loosely chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
a few red pepper flakes
2 T Olive Oil
Black pepper

Use a frying pan or saute pan that has a lid.

Add oil and beans and saute for a few mins. Add the can of tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes and half the basil clap a lid on and let simmer for 5 mins. Just before serving, grind in some pepper, and stir in the other half of basil.

a few red pepper flakes
2 T Olive Oil
Black pepper

Add oil and beans and saute for a few mins. Add the can of tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes and half the basil clap a lid on and let simmer for 5 mins. Just before serving, grind in some pepper, and stir in the other half of basil.

This one makes a nice main dish over long pasta with a handful of grated cheese. :pig:

I am making this for our Christmas dinner. I saw Pioneer Woman making it yesterday and it looked really good. I love brussel sprouts and usually just toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast, but this looks really good for a holiday meal.

PW Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries

Ingredients
3 lbs Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Trim/clean the Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half. Arrange on 2 baking sheets and toss with the olive oil. Roast until brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick.
Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on the dried cranberries.

a few red pepper flakes
2 T Olive Oil
Black pepper

Fixing this one!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom