ISO Easy Veggie Recipes for Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

little_spoon

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am looking for very easy veggie recipes or ideas for the holidays because I want more veggies on the table this time! Veggies I'm interested in using (all of them do not have to be in the same recipe) are broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and/or green beans. If you have a recipe that uses other veggies, that is great. Thanks in advance for sharing, and Happy Holidays!

Another idea is to roast assorted vegetables - you can use many of those you've listed above. Use multi-colored peppers for nice color - can also add carrots. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 425 - 450 F.

Last edited:
merstar said:
Another idea is to roast assorted vegetables - you can use many of those you've listed above. Use multi-colored peppers for nice color - can also add carrots. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 425 - 450 F.

I love roasted vegs. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes are all really good this way. Throw on a minced garlic clove or two if so inclined. Rosemary is nice as well.

Everyone who tries this one seems to enjoy it:

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
¼ pound sliced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed (optional)
1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.

Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeño, lima beans, okra, and tomatoes and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.

Last edited:

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
¼ pound sliced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Instructions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.

Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeño, lima beans, okra, and tomatoes and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.

This one needs it's own thread!!!

I have a drool thread for this....OK, not the same.

Thanks, Sir Loin! C&P!

I always hate to resort to recipes that use anything but other than fresh generic ingredients but this one recipe breaks my mold:

French's green bean casserole

You really need their canned French fried onions to make this recipe work, although I expect you could probably find a way to make your own. But to what benefit? I strive to be original in my own cooking but sometimes I just go with the flow, and this is one of the few recipes where I'd say just go with the brand product.

This recipe is probably a classic, maybe THE classic for pot luck dinners everywhere! Nobody ever struck out by following the package directions, as far as I've ever known.

This is what I call a "concocted" recipe, any recipe that requires a brand product. I hate these recipes because I like to think that I can cook everything from fresh basic ingredients, but for me this recipe is the prime exception.

I wish I was invited to a Christmas pot luck. I'd bring it. :)

ETA: And I forgot to add, if you can't cook this recipe off the package directions then you should give up the idea of cooking at all. Nothing could be easier than this green bean casserole, and it's surprisingly tasty!

I'm pretty sure many amateur chefs like me have cooked this recipe at one time or another.

Last edited:
This is very easy and very popular at my table: Steam some frozen mixed vegis and toss with garlic butter. I use the Kirkland stir-fry mix from Costco (and take out the 'shrooms). I steam them from frozen. We make garlic butter by adding 2-3 teaspoons of pre-minced garlic or 2-3 cloves of minced, fresh garlic to 1 stick (=1/2 cup, =1/4 pound) of butter and microwave it until completely melted. Watch out, it foams over the top if the container isn't big enough, unless you watch it like a hawk. I usually stick it in the freezer until it starts to solidify, then give it a good stir. That way all the garlic isn't at the bottom.

Taxlady, also you might enjoy that recipe with blue cheese butter. Mix about 4 parts butter to one part blue cheese. Actually I like to make it about 1:2 or 1:1 but I really like blue cheese. :)

Just leave the butter and blue cheese on the counter to soften, then mix.. No further processing necessary. Keeps well in refrigerator for a week to 10 days.

Last edited:
Taxlady, also you might enjoy that recipe with blue cheese butter. Mix about 4 parts butter to one part blue cheese. Actually I like to make it about 1:2 or 1:1 but I really like blue cheese. :)

Just leave the butter and blue cheese on the counter to soften, then mix.. No further processing necessary. Keeps well in refrigerator for a week to 10 days.

Blue cheese butter. What a concept. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Hi,

I am looking for very easy veggie recipes ...Happy Holidays!

This one is super easy... holiday colors.. :)
Green Beans with Tomatoes and Chilies
4 or 5 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro Tel)
3 cans French-style green beans, drained

Brown bacon in medium sauce pan and remove, reserving the drippings. Sauté the onion and add the tomatoes with green chilies with the juice and drained green beans. Simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat. Garnish with the chopped bacon just before serving.

A big hit with my family over the years has always been creamed carrots. White sauce with boiled fresh carrots. I prefer to buy the carrots with the green tops still attached. They have a fresher taste to me. It reminds me of going into the garden and pulling them right from the ground, and rinsing them off at the outdoor spigot for eating while playing. When mixed in with potatoes on your plate, oh my! :yum:

I like to saute veggies as a quick side dish. Best combos are mushrooms, zucchini, and a bit of red pepper and one small roma tomato. Sprinkle with s&p and dress with a splash of soy sauce before setting on the table and its a winner.

I also like to keep veggies as naked as possible. You can put them in lots of things, but there are so many things to do with lovely veggies its a shame not to let their natural flavors shine. Here's a few quick easy ones.

- proscuitto wrapped blanched asparagus (heated under the broiler)
- green beans steamed and tossed with butter and sprinkled with a chile/garlic mix
- broccoli/cauliflower steamed with cheese sauce on the side
- shredded cabbage sauteed in bacon fat and garlic, dressed with balsamic vinegar before it hits the table.

When my husband hits our local gourmet store, he jokes with our purveyors that other women want chocolate and roses, but Claire wants to try a new blue cheese. How can I so love something I really disliked as a child? Needless to say, this blue cheese butter will be happening sometimes soon in our house.

I like brussels sprouts particularly with orange. It can be as simple as butter and a dab of frozen orange juice concentrate, nuked with frozen sprouts and tossed. More fancy is orange zest, butter and a grind or two of nutmeg; sprouts halved and sauteed in the butter mixture.

Wow - these ideas are excellent. I never considered the various combination that are present here! My mouth is watering now! Thank you all so much!

Substitute for corn?

Sir Loin,

Can garden peas or something be substituted for the corn? Unfortunately I have intolerance to corn.

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
¼ pound sliced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Instructions:

I like this easy carrot recipe. Julienne your carrots into about 3" x 3/16" x 3/16" spears. Steam them but not quite to serving doneness. Meanwhile lightly saute some minced garlic in butter until limp but not browned. Add the carrots to the garlic butter, season with a bit of salt and some sugar, toss a few times to finish the carrots, then serve. I think the sugar has something to do with balancing the taste of the garlic so I recommend not skipping it.

Back
Top Bottom