"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question ISO Easy Veggie Recipes for Holidays

Hi,

I am looking for very easy veggie recipes or ideas for the holidays because I want more veggies on the table this time! Veggies I'm interested in using (all of them do not have to be in the same recipe) are broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and/or green beans. If you have a recipe that uses other veggies, that is great. Thanks in advance for sharing, and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Head Chef

These are both delicious - I've made them many times:
Citrus Green Bean Salad
Citrus Green Bean Salad Recipe - CooksRecipes.com
Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola
Hello 2009: Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola « Je Mange la Ville
Some other favorites: (I can PM them to you if interested):
Parmesan Green Beans
Roasted Asparagus with Crisp Shallots

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Another idea is to roast assorted vegetables - you can use many of those you've listed above. Use multi-colored peppers for nice color - can also add carrots. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 425 - 450 F.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
Another idea is to roast assorted vegetables - you can use many of those you've listed above. Use multi-colored peppers for nice color - can also add carrots. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 425 - 450 F.
I love roasted vegs. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes are all really good this way. Throw on a minced garlic clove or two if so inclined. Rosemary is nice as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Everyone who tries this one seems to enjoy it:

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
¼ pound sliced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed (optional)
1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.

Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeño, lima beans, okra, and tomatoes and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Everyone who tries this one seems to enjoy it:

SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH

Ingredients:
¼ pound sliced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed (optional)
1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.

Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeño, lima beans, okra, and tomatoes and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.
This one needs it's own thread!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a drool thread for this....OK, not the same.

Thanks, Sir Loin! C&P!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I always hate to resort to recipes that use anything but other than fresh generic ingredients but this one recipe breaks my mold:

French's green bean casserole

You really need their canned French fried onions to make this recipe work, although I expect you could probably find a way to make your own. But to what benefit? I strive to be original in my own cooking but sometimes I just go with the flow, and this is one of the few recipes where I'd say just go with the brand product.

This recipe is probably a classic, maybe THE classic for pot luck dinners everywhere! Nobody ever struck out by following the package directions, as far as I've ever known.

This is what I call a "concocted" recipe, any recipe that requires a brand product. I hate these recipes because I like to think that I can cook everything from fresh basic ingredients, but for me this recipe is the prime exception.

I wish I was invited to a Christmas pot luck. I'd bring it.

ETA: And I forgot to add, if you can't cook this recipe off the package directions then you should give up the idea of cooking at all. Nothing could be easier than this green bean casserole, and it's surprisingly tasty!

I'm pretty sure many amateur chefs like me have cooked this recipe at one time or another.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
This is very easy and very popular at my table: Steam some frozen mixed vegis and toss with garlic butter. I use the Kirkland stir-fry mix from Costco (and take out the 'shrooms). I steam them from frozen. We make garlic butter by adding 2-3 teaspoons of pre-minced garlic or 2-3 cloves of minced, fresh garlic to 1 stick (=1/2 cup, =1/4 pound) of butter and microwave it until completely melted. Watch out, it foams over the top if the container isn't big enough, unless you watch it like a hawk. I usually stick it in the freezer until it starts to solidify, then give it a good stir. That way all the garlic isn't at the bottom.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Taxlady, also you might enjoy that recipe with blue cheese butter. Mix about 4 parts butter to one part blue cheese. Actually I like to make it about 1:2 or 1:1 but I really like blue cheese.

Just leave the butter and blue cheese on the counter to soften, then mix.. No further processing necessary. Keeps well in refrigerator for a week to 10 days.

Tags
easy, other