ISO: Eggplant casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
My husbands grandmother makes a casserole that I have lost and don't want to bother again as she has to look through a buttload of recipes to find it.
I know that she boils the peeled eggplant and then puts it into a baking dish and adds bread crumbs and cheese, but not sure what else. I know that it didn't have much more in it and it was very simple to put together.
Does anyone have one that sounds like this?

Hi Texas, I really don't have a recipe, but, if the dish is simple, I'd try a favorite mild cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, a little minced garlic and onion mixed in the crumbs and also some parmesan, a touch of lemon and white wine sprinkled over the eggplant, lots of cheese, say a jack or mozzarella the parm with bread crumbs in between, salt and pepper then bake...Might be yummy..Just layer everything and top it off with a mix of the shredded cheese and more parm...

kadesma:rolleyes:

Thank you!! I'll try that next weekend!!
I just thought about this when I saw all the huge eggplants at the grocery store yesterday. I guess it's the season for them?

We pretty much get eggplant year round, but I find summer time the best for the nice firm sweet ones..I didn't grow any this year and now I'm sorry, my family loves them so we do have them often and usually just sliced dipped in flour,egg,flour and fried in evoo, then salted and peppered...but I like to make eggplant sammies and eggplant parm too..I think I want to try the way you described with the cheese and breadcrumbs I'm sure my guys will like it that was too.
kadesma:)

Here's the closest thing I can find to the way my Grandma did it:

Eggplant Souffle

1 Large eggplant - cut into small (1/2 inch) cubes, boiled in salted water just until soft, drained and mashed fine
1 onion, grated
3 Tablepsoons butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated fine
2 eggs, beaten well
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

Combine all ingredients, except cracker crumbs, and place in a casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs. Bake in a moderate oven (about 350-F) for 30-40 minutes.

This recipe is taken from "Southern Cooking" by Mrs. S. R. Dull - pub 1928 - and only slightly modified to add the cheese. It is not a true souffle as we think of it today (a fluffy whipped eggy thing) .... it appears that in her day a souffle was any casserole that contained eggs.

Hope this helps you figure out your recipe!

Back
Top Bottom