ISO Fresh Beet ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef, that sounds good, I may have to try it when I find the yellow beets. They were out last week at Saturday Market, will try again this week, even if it rains. Need to get there when the open as they sell first.

ironchef, that dressing sounds wonderful!

I love yellow and white beets! They're so much sweeter than red and with the white you don't have to worry about stains. Usually one of the organic farmers at the Saturday market offers all three, but I don't remember any last winter. (Our beet season is fall-very early spring.)

That salad sounds devine! could I substitute another vinegar for the Banyuls Vinegar ?
Would it be okay to substitute truffle flavored olive oil?

Pam

Pam Leavy said:
That salad sounds devine! could I substitute another vinegar for the Banyuls Vinegar ?
Would it be okay to substitute truffle flavored olive oil?

Pam

The truffle flavored olive oil is pretty much the same thing. You can substitute either Sherry or Balsamic Vinegar for the Banyuls, although either would give a slightly different change in flavor.

ironchef said:
The truffle flavored olive oil is pretty much the same thing. You can substitute either Sherry or Balsamic Vinegar for the Banyuls, although either would give a slightly different change in flavor.

Thank you Ironchef!

Pam

I spent years and years not eating them because I thought I didn't like them. I bought some a couple summers ago and now I'm hooked.

I like baby beets best. I roast them (EVOO and S&P) at 450 until they are tender (30+ minutes). They will pop right out of their skins when they're done.

That salad up there looks tastey though, I'm going to try that one of these days.

:heart:
Z

Beets are great, we just planted 2 rows in the garden. We eat beet greens but they need to be washed several times because they have alot of sand in them. All the above recipes sound really good and I will try them. We love beets. I can 15 pints of pickled beets and freeze about 12 qts.

thump, what kind of beets do you grow? is your soil sandy? do you pile up the soil around the beets as they grow? my beets are very good, and like zereh said, are delicious when picked small. i like to pickle the small ones whole in mason jars. great on salads, or just with some farmers cheese and rye bread.
the odd thing tho, is that they seem to take twice as long to grow as they are supposed to, from what i've read.
i grow detroit dark reds, early wonders, and an heirloom that i can't remember the name. it has concetric rings in it.
my soil was sandy ( the garden was overused and chemically abused for so many years), but i've been trying to get more organic material into it. maybe that's why, i might have the wrong balance of nutrients, or not the right soil structure.

I bought 12 beet plants on am impulse last weekend. No idea how they will do.

It is really exciting checking up on them each day!

Pam

I've really been enjoying this thread, especially since I never had a fresh beet until a few years ago when I moved here. Now my neighbors will bring me fresh beets for months. I'm not into canning (I'm a coward), so get a bit stretched for ideas. I love beets, though, so manage somehow. I have one problem with beets that is the same with sweet potatoes. Most recipes call for sugar, lots of sugar. I personally have never figured out why a vegetable that is sweet to begin with needs syrup. I like both veggies with a spicy/hot treatment so you really can enjoy the natural sweetness of the root.

Buckytom, My soil for growing beets is alot of clay and we have cow maure hauled in. We till up the soil really good each year. No I don't pile the dirt up around the beet, just weed the garden, keep it watered. Maybe your soil is to sandy.I grow different kinds of beets but a great one is a Boston beet and they get large but you can pick them small too. Very good to eat. Keep working your garden to get it a good lome soil. Might want to get it tested to see what you need to do too. Good Luck.

I really like this thread also, what is Lome soil? My garden has alot of compost from years of mixing leaves and grass would this be OK for beets?
I tried growing beets years ago, in my old dirt and they did not even get to an 1/8 round, I would like to try again though, I was thinking they needed more sun than we get here in Western Washington, we have a short growing season.

janetgood, yes, beets need alot of sun and well drained soil.Your soil sounds like it is ok but might need a fertalizer along side of the row when you plant.Happy planting

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom