"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Good description of Lyonnaise??

So, tomorrow Im being dragged to a Steak House for dinner ( Im vegetarian for all you who dont know).

The Veggie choice consists of choosing any 3 potato or veggie sides and they make a plate out of it. No problem, I actually like this idea cause I can sample a few things.

I see under potato is " Lyonnaise cooked with onions"

Never heard of it before . I looked it up but wasnt crazy about the description. Just wondering if anyone has heard/ made this before , and can give me a detailed description of what it consists of and how it is made.

Thanks, larry

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Lyonnaise potatoes are one of my all time favorites. Boil and peel low starch potatoes. Slice 1/4" thick. Cook a bunch of onions until they are soft and browned. Toss the potatoes with the onions and a ton of butter. Place in a baking dish and bake until crisp around the edges.

I'd say you should try them just because you haven't had them before.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Head Chef

SOunds like a plan Andy. I dont travel much out of the North East ( let alone the country), So im using this trip down south as a culinary excursion, trying to try whatever I can that Ive never seen or heard of. Ill definitely give it a go. Im assuming its not a southern dish, but me being in a steakhouse is an excursion in itself So taking advantage of whatever I dont know about.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

Trying to avoid the risk of embarrassing myself, how is it pronounced ?

Lyon as in ( Lion) and Naise ( as in the end of mayonnaise)? or am I way off ??
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
Wine Guy

LIE-oh-naiz (rhymes with mayonnaise)

And I agree with Andy that they are quite tasty. Just make sure you are stocked up on Lipitor.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Pronunciation of lyonnaise - how to pronounce lyonnaise correctly.

It says it for you.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Great, now I just have to work on my southern accent so I sound like one of the locals
Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
... Im assuming its not a southern dish...

The dish is of French origin from the city of Lyon. It's prepared in the style of that city - Lyonnaise.

The French do that a lot, name things for where they're from. Hollandaise, Béarnaise, Lyonnaise, Niçeoise, etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
So, tomorrow Im being dragged to a Steak House for dinner ( Im vegetarian for all you who dont know).

The Veggie choice consists of choosing any 3 potato or veggie sides and they make a plate out of it. No problem, I actually like this idea cause I can sample a few things.

I see under potato is " Lyonnaise cooked with onions"

Never heard of it before . I looked it up but wasnt crazy about the description. Just wondering if anyone has heard/ made this before , and can give me a detailed description of what it consists of and how it is made.

Thanks, larry
First of all a cooking pedant speaks. They are called "Lyonnaise" because they are cooked with onions. There are lots of dishes in France described as "Lyonnaise" or "a la Lyonnaise" - all with onions as a major ingredient because Lyon is famous for onions.

Now then, down to business. Courtesy of Elizabeth David in "French Provincial Cooking":-

"Firm potatoes, boiled in their skins, are peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick and seasoned with salt. They are gently fried in a capacious frying pan until they are golden brown on both sides. When they are all but ready, some onion, sliced very thin and fried until pale gold in a separate frying pan, is mixed with the potatoes, and the dish is ready to serve."

She suggests one medium onion to each pound of potatoes and for cooking each of the vegetables 1 ounce of butter (or pure beef dripping but you are a veggie so the dripping would be a no-no) and she says the potatoes should take about 15 minutes and onions up to 10 minutes. Oh yes and "frying pan" = skillet (not a deep fay fryer)

I do mine like the above and they never turn out greasy and unevenly cooked which, I'm sorry to say, they often do in restaurants. If you order them and they are, then send them back and ask for their replacement to be cooked properly!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
LIE-oh-naiz (rhymes with mayonnaise)

And I agree with Andy that they are quite tasty. Just make sure you are stocked up on Lipitor.
Sorry, Steve, "LEE-on-nairz". (I said I was being pedantic )

And if they are cooked properly you don't need the Lipitor. Sadly, they often aren't cooked properly.

Tags
None