ISO Gravy for new potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you make a roux (or a beurre manie) you are coating the grains of flour with fat. That coating prevents the grains of flour from attaching to each other and forming lumps.

Thanks for the info. I now know something I didn't know before. I never would have guessed that you could add the roux directly to the liquid. It just wouldn't have occured to me. I can now die a happy man (but not for another 50 years or so;)).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ummm, I don't mean to take this conversation in a different direction, but down in my neck of the woods, there is a cajun place called Razzoo's that is fairly decent to eat at. Anyhow, I once orded the blackend pork chop with red potatos in manure sauce, yes, I said manure.. and it was soooooooo goood!! I have not been back to eat there in ages, but when I did, I always ordered extra manure sauce for on my potatos and anything else I could dip in it!!!

Ummm, I don't mean to take this conversation in a different direction, but down in my neck of the woods, there is a cajun place called Razzoo's that is fairly decent to eat at. Anyhow, I once orded the blackend pork chop with red potatos in manure sauce, yes, I said manure.. and it was soooooooo goood!! I have not been back to eat there in ages, but when I did, I always ordered extra manure sauce for on my potatos and anything else I could dip in it!!!

All I can say to that is, WOW!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here's a recipe for the sauce, Sattie.
Meuniere Sauce
I'm going to try making some.

gravy for potatoes

we love that gravy for new potatoes, but we always called it white sauce. Same thing though. Rule of thumb is usually 1 T each of flour and butter, ( a little more if you want it thicker) to 1 cup milk. When we dig our potatoes, we're also busy picking and shelling our peas so that we can have them together. In the winter, we like creamed eggs on toast with the sme gravy, add chipped beef for SOS, or use sausage to make sausage gravy for biscuits, or even better, sliver up some country ham and put it between biscuit halves and top with that white gravy--plenty of pepper in that one!.

Girl, you are just loaded with info!!! That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. (Can that be done with spanish words???)

Sorry, enough of me hi-jacking the thread!!! Back to the gravy!!!

I home school my kids so I use the pronunciation feature of online dictionaries a lot. It's a great improvement over just finding the definition, huh? And usually if you do a google search for a foreign word, you will find the pronunciation somewhere. I can't take credit for knowing the name of the sauce, tho. I know you live in Texas and it sounded good so I googled Razoo's Restaurants hoping to find one near me and they had an online menu, where I found the sauce. But for a minute I had you fooled, huh? lol But thanks for posting because I've never heard of this sauce before and the recipes I found sound soooo good.

Anytime my friend. I never thought of looking for the recipe or anything. When I read this thread, that was the first thing that popped in my head. I remember getting the gravy/sauce and the wait staff telling me what it was. When I went back, I had the hardest time remembering the name of it. Anyhow, I think it went great with the potatos.

That pronunciation feature is great.... I love the Spanish language and would love to do it justice. :)

When I make gravy I always add the liquid to the roux a little at a time mixing well as I go until I have added about half of the liquid. Never had lumpy gravy in my life..lol. Also if you remove the roux from the heat and let it cool a bit (about 1 min) before you add any liquid there is even less a chance of it being lumpy.

Back
Top Bottom