ISO help freezing kale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
next monday i have to pull out a lot of kale because i'm having a retaining wall replaced at the back of the garden.

i was wondering if anyone has a good way to preserve kale, such as freezing it.

should i chop and blanch it first? what's the best way to freeze it in a block?

any other good way to preserve it?

You will need to blanch it for about 4 minutes, and then put it in ice water for about 8 minutes (I actually transfer it to a 2nd ice bath 1/2 through). I remove the ribs and chop first. Once chilled, you will want to spin it in a salad spinner, let it drain, and then roll it in a dish towel to remove as much excess water as possible. I pack it into cubes in an ice cube tray and then put the frozen cubes in ziplock bags. It is okay added to soup, pasta, but is not great as a side when frozen. I can't remember if I added any lemon juice or not--if I did, I added it to the ice water. I searched on the web last year for the best method, and that's what I recall. I have brought kale plants in and over wintered them...you could try doing that as well.

I do it much like CW but never understand the ice cube thing. I just freeze in a ziplock and break off however much I need. But a sh*tload of kale translates into not that much after it's blanched and chopped.

I have kale and chard from the garden in the freezer like this

Lol love the name Jenny ... Which serial number are you? I'm # 5,134,677 ... Haha !

Back
Top Bottom