"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm with you cliveb. I've never had tofu prepared in a manner that I cared for. It just seemed like a tough white eraser with stuff on it or marinated in stuff. Whatever.

When my youngest sister was in her late 20s, she went through her "I'm gonna eat healthy and be a vegetarian phase." She must've gone through tons of tofu but always prepared the same way. She wasn't very creative, plus it was maddening when she went grocery shopping with me. Everything I put in my cart was reviewed and critiqued by her. You have no idea how frustrating it can be to have someone editing your groceries as you shop. But I stray from the subject.

I've tried to like tofu but just haven't been successful to date.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Interesting discussion. I have had tofu at a Thai resto. I think it was deep fried, and had no discernable taste, but the texture was brilliant. It was very crunchy, and I loved it. It was crunchy all the way thru. I have no idea how to prepare this offering, and hope someone can tell me. I don't know why I liked it so much, but truly, it was really great.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Did you tell her to 'shut the rude word up'. She could get her own basket. I really can't stand it when the latest fad is visited on us. Although I always enjoyed my sisters cooking when she was going through her vegetarian phase.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

It's funny, what most people say about tofu, I used to say about meat, mostly because my family always overcooked the meat and bought whatever was on sale (-_-); So back when I thought meat was unchewable, I ate a lot of tofu. It always tasted pretty good to me, and I wasn't very creative back then (I was 16 and didn't really know how to cook at all) so I would always saute it with some vegetables and season with soy sauce. I think I remember adding a bit of sugar and paprika or some other red spicy thing? Hehe, it was so long ago ^.^;; I remember liking it, but I'm not sure if that's because it was really good or if I just didn't know any better. Since then I've always lived with guys who didn't want to give tofu a try so I've forgotten how to eat like a vegetarian. Sometimes I get nostalgic. I'm a little worried that if I eat tofu like before, I won't be as great as I remember it : P
Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I love tofu. I usually start people with tofu smoothies. Silken tofu, orange juice, some berries, a banana, a bit of honey, and some nutmeg. That has to be one of the most healthy things you can possibly slurp down. Tastes incredible too. The tofu gives it body, a luxurious texture, and a butt-load of protein.

I also love Miso soup loaded with 1/2" cubes of firm tofu.

Stir fried tofu has an amazing texture. It gets a crispy/chewy thin exterior layer, and molten insides. I love hot and spicy sichuan tofu dishes.

You can also add 1/2" cubes to various noodle dishes like sesame noodles. Just make sure there is a bit extra dressing for the tofu to soak up (speaking of which, I always press my tofu between some towels to remove water. Then it reabsorbs liquid in whatever dish you add it to.

Mapo Dofu is my absolute favorite tofu preparation. The sauce is hot and savory and goes over some steamed rice. Only problem is I can't stop eating it until the pot is empty! Oh, this dish uses ground pork or beef along with the hunks of tofu. I guess beef is traditional (oddly enough), but I prefer ground pork.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
LOL, Bucky Tom!
I once threw a bucket of Tofu off the top of the Empire State Building...
and got arrested for discarding litter!!

If you didn't know, I'm a 97.5% vegetarian; ie, I occasionally eat a bit of chicken or a shrimp. I've tried tofu boiled, in soup, fried, marinated, stuffed, fermented.... and I can honestly say it tastes of nothing. It is a non-element in my cooking.

That doesn't mean you can't use it, of course! I came to an agreement with myself not to buy any more tofu, but that's a personal thing. I'd rather use paneer (Indian cheese), which at least has a little more texture to it.

Any criticisms will be warmly received. You cannot imagine how much I WANT to enjoy tofu - but in 15 years, I've been disappointed again and again!!!
Oh Clive, you don't know what you are missing and here I am lamenting the fact that I cannot get hold of any type of tofu products.

For starters, there are many kinds of tofu (bean curd) - silken (soft), medium and firm, fermented, marinated (best used in porridge and as a flavouring in vegetables). As tofu is rather bland, it's best to use it in dishes that have sauces or have a robust taste.

For vegetarians like you, there are other tofu-related products like bean curd sticks/sheets used to garnish fried vermicelli, tempeh and soya cheese besides soya sauce and milk. The good thing about healthy soya products is that they are cholesterol-free.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #17
Senior Cook

After reading this thread it made me want to eat tofu that night, so I bought some, and when I opened the package, the juice leaked everywhere, and it had the worst smell you can imagine. Rotten tofu. It was absolutely disgusting, and I had to take two showers to try to scrub the smell off of my arms. I would have returned it to the grocery store, but I couldn't bring anything that stinky into my car. (-_-);

Let me just say this didn't help me turn my husband into a tofu lover.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 AM   #18
Head Chef

I love tofu. It's a staple in my fridge. Here are some oriental ways of preparing it:

1. Deep fried silken tofu in tempura batter and dipped in tempura sauce, garnished with thinly sliced leeks.
2. Julienned firm tofu, fried till brown, then sauteed with pork strips, shallots and Chinese celery.
3. Deep fried thick slices of firm tofu. Dip in soy sauce with vinegar, minced garlic, chopped green onions.
4. Deep fried tofu skin, topped with sauce from oyster sauce and sugar, garnished with thinly sliced leeks.
5. Cubed silken tofu in miso soup.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #19
Senior Cook

If you go with miso soup and you haven't tried it before it may take a couple of tries before you find a miso paste you like. I think tofu adds more of a texture than a taste and I cant imagine eating miso soup without it!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I still insist that tofu is a pretty bland product. I've tried it in Miso soup, in Chinese soup, stir-fried, with eggs, stuffed... unfortunately we can't find additional Tofu products her easily, but there you are.
I'd never eat Tofu just because it was good for me; or anything else , for that matter!
The idea of mixing it with other things to give it a bit more flavour is a good one. Perhaps a little tau-si would bring it to life!

Tags
None