"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Wine Guy

ISO Kohlrabi Recipe Ideas

One of our neighbors gave us some kohlrabi from their garden. I don't have a lot of experience with this vegetable. My mom used to just cube it and steam it. The few times I've made it, I did the same thing. I also tried it one time in a curry, on someone's recommendation. It was okay.

Does anyone have a good "off the beaten path" recipe for kohlrabi? Or maybe just some ideas?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef

kohlrabi is one of my favs steve but,like you,only ever had it boiled,steamed,mashed or roasted.i think it's one of those "if it ain't broken don't fix it moments"...maybe at it's best plain & simple.oh,by the way,cooked the spaghetti squash tonight....loved it!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Head Chef

Steve, I've only eaten it raw, cut into sticks, and served them on a vegetable platter of raw vegetables. I love how crunchy it is. That's how we've had it since we were kids.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Kohlrabii is one of my favorite veggies. I love it raw (sliced) with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, EVOO, and vinegar. The other thing I do is make it into a slaw. Here's a recipe that I like as well. I've never cooked it--been meaning to do that, but it never makes it that far--I just love it raw. I grow the purple variety. The leaves are edible as well--those I've steamed.

Recipe Details
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Thanks guys. Bliss and CWS, I've never tried it raw. I may have to do that.

I did find the following recipe, which looks kind of interesting. I think this is what I'm going to do. Anything with panko, cream, and parmesan is A-OK in my book.

Kohlrabi Au Gratin Recipe
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
oh,by the way,cooked the spaghetti squash tonight....loved it!
I love spaghetti squash. We have it all the time. My favorite way to make it is with butter, s & p. Plain and simple. It's also good tossed with evoo, chopped tomatoes, and basil.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, peel them first and get out a heavy duty sharp knife. Kohlrabi is one of my favorite summer vegetables.

You can cut them up french fry style, toss with evoo and salt and roast in a single layer, turn them over at least once. They brown up nicely but didn't seem to crisp up like potato fries. Maybe I was impatient and took them from the oven too soon.

Make "summer pickles" like cukes. Slice thin, put in a sweet sour vinegar solution with a few spices / herbs. I like hot chili, diced, coriandar seed, garlic, celery seed, whatever you like. Refrigerate overnight.

Matchstick and put in cole slaw.

Cook like turnips and mash with butter, S & P. An incredible waste, but it can be done, for those who like turnips.

My favorite way is to simply thin slice or make sticks and serve with a little sea salt and a few grains of chili pepper. These are a nice addition to a veggie tray.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Kohlrabi is in the box of veggies picked at the farm yesterday. Can't wait!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I love spaghetti squash. We have it all the time. My favorite way to make it is with butter, s & p. Plain and simple. It's also good tossed with evoo, chopped tomatoes, and basil.
i hope they keep stocking it steve.ever notice how,supermarkets in particular,stock something,sell out,you ask when they'll get some more in & they say"we won't be,there's no demand.........!"?
never had kohlrabi raw,must give it a go
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i hope they keep stocking it steve.ever notice how,supermarkets in particular,stock something,sell out,you ask when they'll get some more in & they say"we won't be,there's no demand.........!"?
never had kohlrabi raw,must give it a go
Slice it really thin or julienne it, sea salt, EVOO, pepper, a bit of your favorite vinegar--with a G&T--can't go wrong.

Tags
recipe

ISO Kohlrabi Recipe Ideas One of our neighbors gave us some kohlrabi from their garden. I don't have a lot of experience with this vegetable. My mom used to just cube it and steam it. The few times I've made it, I did the same thing. I also tried it one time in a curry, on someone's recommendation. It was okay. Does anyone have a good "off the beaten path" recipe for kohlrabi? Or maybe just some ideas? 3 stars 1 reviews